Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King

Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,284 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this revealing and varied collection of interviews, Stephen King talks about his life, family, films and in particular about his macabre novels of the unknown that have made him so well known.

"My soul must be very black, indeed," observes King, virtuoso of horror fiction, but these 30-odd interviews do not lay bare his soul. They do, however, reveal some interesting thi...more
Published July 1st 1989 by Warner (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Bare Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bare Bones

[Redacted]
This is a collection of interviews with Stephen King regarding various horror related topics. Stephen King is one of the most interesting interview subject on these topics that there is. I very much enjoyed the interviews, especially the two interviews which also featured Peter Straub. The only issue bringing the overall score down is the repetition of some of the subject matter among the interviews. These interviews were conducted during the early part of King's career, by a variety of differen...more
Andrew
This is a collection of conversations with Stephen King over a number of years covering his earlier (79 to 85). They cover many aspects of Stephen King from his inspirations to insights in to the man himself - there are a number of repartitions however considering they are a collection of his interviews and conversations you cannot help but repeat some things.

The book feels quite dated now since Mr King has published quite a bit since the book was released even with his self imposed retirement t...more
Mark
A series of interviews, from various venues, with Stephen King covereing the years 1979 to 1985 (and grouped by content - books, films, etc - rather than year). An editors note states that some duplication is unavoidable and whilst that’s true - and the reader can just skip over sections - some interviews are so close to others and so short in page count that it’s difficult to understand why they were included in the first place. But, having said all that, this is Stephen King talking about his...more
Suzanne
This compilation of interviews is an interesting snapshot of King's thoughts on books, movies, the horror genre, and other odds and ends during the earlier part of his career (1979-1985). His early books are my favorites, so it was fun to get his perspective from back then. My favorite tidbit was about a scene one of his editors removed from 'Salem's Lot. It turns out the new scene he replaced it with was one of the most memorable for me from any of his books. (view spoiler)...more
Sezin Koehler
Jun 03, 2008 Sezin Koehler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
I've been one of Mr. King's "Constant Readers" for going on twenty, count them 20, years now. Aside from "Danse Macabre" and "On Writing," both of which are non-fictions about the horror genre and writing respectively, I haven't read much about Mr. King on a personal level. This book was a fantastic insight into one of my long term heroes, idols and all-around most favoritest people and writers in the whole wide world.

It was such a treat to hear King's own voice (which is eerily much like the un...more
Todd Nesbitt
As a Stephen King fan, I was interested in reading varied interviews with the man on a variety of subjects. Unfortunately, the interviews are only up to the point in his career when he is on the verge of releasing "IT" which I believe was released in 1986. I was looking forward to some insight to many of his works but still found this an interesting read. I found it difficult to read more than a few pages at a time due to many repeated questions and answers but overall found it was worth the tim...more
Lau
To be honest, I was expecting a lot more. I thought it would be an interview divided in different sessions, a sort of one-on-one conversation throughout the book. Instead, it gathers different interviews Stephen King did while touring and promoting his work, found in different magazines.Some interviews were more interesting than others but you still get a view on how King's mind works, his fears and opinions on various subjects (e.g. goverment, film industry, horror books, his own work, etc.)....more
Kitty
With a book like this you have to be ready to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to get a lot of repetitive material but at least it's never told the same way twice. Essentially what you see is what you get - quite possibly one of the most extensive collections of interviews with King ever collected and published in one place. The book is filled with fun stories about the writing process, his thoughts on other writers and movie makers, first hand accounts of skullduggery in the publis...more
Taylor Haley
I have been a King fan ever since I read Firestarter three years ago. I was enthralled with the way King is able to help the reader sympathize with the bad guy and the depth he brings to each of his characters. This collection of interviews is an absolutely incredible insight to the way King thinks and it is a must read for anyone who holds a curiosity or interest in writing.
Nora Peevy
As pointed out in the disclaimer there is some repetition in the interviews presented. However, this book really gives you a deeper insight into some of King's classics such as Cujo, Christine, The Stand, Firestarter, The Shining, Pet Semetary, and Salem's Lot, just to name a few. There are more mentioned. You will learn all about what scares the author, his politics, his hobbies, and gain a lot of great writing advice in the process. I also gleamed a few tidbits of info about publishing houses...more
Dean Anderson
This collection of interviews with King is repetitive at times ("Where do you get your ideas?"), but it's still enjoyable, especially the sections about kids. King talks about being baffled by his own children asking for the light out and the door closed while he still needs a night light. Also like his account of convincing his kids the screen sucked people in, so they would seat further back in the theater.
Brandi Denson
Jun 28, 2008 Brandi Denson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fledgling writers and King fans
King doesn't disappoint in this book-long interview with the master of all things dark. "Kill your darlings," I remember reading back in the early 90s when I channeled a great deal of my teenage angst into short stories of my own. He goes on to explain every cryptic piece of advice, though, and the man revealed in King is without a doubt deserving of all the fame his career has afforded.
Chrismpadgett Padgett
This was an amazing book, but only for those who are a bit fascinated with Stephen King. These are a collection of interviews with King, which not only talk about his books, writing habits, but also the movies made from his works and his many influences. There were a lot of surprises, and I think that often I found myself very intrigued by his spiritual journey. Loved it.
Katie
Loved this collection of interviews w King -- this was exactly what I was looking for when I accidentally read Danse Macabre. I'd love an updated version of this book that covers more of King's work -- Bare Bones was written years ago, so there's lots of repetition in questions. Still, great insight into his topics and what he finds interesting.
Billy Candelaria
This covers the early Stephen King interviews. And i can say that it makes a good background on knowing more the man as an author and fiction writer who loves life as it is and the capacity that makes it horrendous. his views on different forms of media, from movies to comics, his own religious and philosophical views.
Rae
Wonderful essays and interviews with the king of terror, Stephen King. The essays deal mostly with terror as a genre. I don't read his fiction much as I can't deal with the supernatural elements and the coarse language. I can't deny his ability to write and capture a reader's attention, though. And he is so fascinating.
David Sabala
I've read and watched many interviews with Stephen King, and I enjoy them all. I think he is a fascinating individual and i love hearing about his work/life because it's something that I've always wanted: the life of a writer. As always, King is insightful, entertaining and really funny.
Blake
Dec 08, 2007 Blake rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans, horror/terror fans
I actually only read part of this as well, but it was an interesting series of interviews with Stephen King on his writing, horror, terror, and writing and life in general. Still topped by what I read of On Writing though (also by King).
Lisa
I may go back to this book, but since it's just a collection of interviews, I may not. King is interesting enough to interview, but maybe just once. After that, the questions and answers both start to get repetitive.
Scott Block
If you want insight into Stephen's mindset behind his writing, this takes you inside his brain a little and helps you understand why and how he writes.
Charles
Wide ranging but very intersting. Fairly short, though, which is why I don't rate it higher.
Pam Smith
Pam Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jeanette Andriulli
Jeanette Andriulli marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Grouse
Grouse marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing
  • Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #1
Feast of Fear: Conversations with Stephen King Kingdom of Fear: The World of Stephen King Savage Art: 20th Century Genre and the Artists that Defined It Jack Vance Shameless Art: 20th Century Genre and the Artists that Defined It