Start by marking “Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)

Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,416 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
When Sadie and her sexy partner Zack stumble on evidence of a chilling cult ritual in an abandoned meth lab, Sadie comes face to face with an evil spirit unlike any she’s ever seen before. And it’s no coincidence that a bundle of stolen cash turns up at her next crime scene just in time to convince a biker gang that Sadie made off with their money. She knows the threads ar ...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Signet (first published November 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Devil May Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil May Ride

Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 12, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
"Devil May Ride" is book two in Wendy Roberts' mystery series , 'Ghost Dusters', about a woman who cleans death scenes and can see ghosts. I read "Remains of the Dead", the first book, and was curious to see where the author was headed with her characters. I'm pleased to say I enjoyed this book as much as the first one and now I've got the third one "Dead and Kicking" on my buy list for December 2009!

Sadie's business is picking up and she's especially busy right now as she's also helping out one
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I'm getting pleasantly surprised by this series. I had originally expected it to be just another murder mystery series with a supernatural gimmick, but occasionally during the book it had touches of urban fantasy. This book has to be one of the better ones I've read in this genre recently, for more than one reason. (I'll explain why later in the review.)

This book picks up about a year after the events in the previous book. Business has been booming for Sadie, especially since
Jan 30, 2010 Steph rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed this series. The characters are easy to relate to and Sadie is a tough cookie with a big heart. As always, these books remain a quick read because Wendy Roberts ends each chapter with a mini-cliff hanger. Each time I say to myself, "I'll just read one chapter and then ..." I always end up reading all or most of these books in one sitting because I just can't leave it alone and have to find out what happens next. Sadie's humor has me snickering at times, I can totally picture her r ...more
May 25, 2010 Leeankh rated it it was amazing
Satanism, a motorcycle gang, and ghosts galore! Seriously, this woman is fast becoming my new favorite author. This series is so up my alley! They characters talk like my friends talk and I just love that. The main mystery is seedy and fascinating. We learn some really interesting back story and it seems to fit in well. Sometimes, when an author goes back to explain things, they can stop following their own rules or it will stick out in some way. That did NOT happen for me at all. I felt it was ...more
Jan 23, 2014 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: will-read-again
Devil May Ride, a Ghost Dusters Mystery by Wendy Roberts (#2 in the series)

Oh, did I love this mystery. The first one had me reading all day to finish it and this had me stop my world (except for food and bathroom breaks) to get to the end. And what an ending. N o spoilers here but I did shed a few tears.
As usual, Sadie is up to her neck in dead bodies and ghosts who need to move on. It is her special gift to help them. To sweeten the pot she has taken on cleaning meth labs for the other crime s
This is the second of the Ghost Dusters Mystery series I've read, and I doubt I'll read more. They're okay, but I'm not particularly enamored of the characters, the plots, and the gross details of bio-cleaning crime scenes.

The paranormal aspects along with a fairly good mystery and a decent vein of humor make this series enjoyable enough, but not stellar. I mean, if there was nothing else for me to read, I wouldn't mind. But that's not enough for me to seek out the rest of the series. I happene
Aug 14, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
Wow, book two was awesome! I'm so glad I decided to start this series. The last quarter of the book blew me away. 4.5
Jan 06, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I really like about this series is the stories. I find them fun to read. I'm not sure if it's me or something but I seem to be having a harder time telling who the bad guy is with this one. Sure there are clues here and about but they always get buried with other impending matters.

I do feel that the author could give more details with regards to events. I felt like the Sadie/Zack thing was a little bit rushed. I wish there were more details with their feelings but maybe that's just not the
Cindi Moss
Aug 10, 2012 Cindi Moss rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable! I thought I had it all figured out, and was totally wrong! Love it when that happens. :) Can't wait to read the next one!
May 27, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
The plot line is good; however, this lady really needs an editor. There are just so many things that don't ring true (and I'm not even talking the ghosts!!) in details that distract from the story. And can we just talk about the amount of coffee these characters drink? At one point, Sadie's house is vandalized, completely trashed. She cleans the ENTIRE HOUSE while drinking two pots of coffee in THREE HOURS. Good grief, it takes me three house to clean my kitchen, family room, and bathroom when t ...more
4.5 stars rounded down because I'd never read it again.

This was a really great way to look at Sadie's past while resolving her present. Really that is what I loved about the book. We start off with a bizarre case and end up following leads that end with her brother! I can't say much more without giving away the whole bag but it is really good and well thought out.

These first two Sadie books are pure fluff but they are really great fluff. This is an amazing second book in that it is better than t
Kimberly Ann
Feb 15, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
This was hanging by the edge of my seat skerry!

This book was well written, fast paced, and it sure held my interest.....I even hid out while @ work for a few to read it!

Sadie Novak is a house cleaner, but the kind you'd call if there was major body decomposition or a crime scene. Not only does she clean up the mess, the blood & guts, but she cleans up the non-corporal remains of those whose souls are left behind.

Sadie can see & hear the ghosts and she helps them move on into the light.
Sep 24, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ghost, cop
The story starts about a year after the last book. The explanation why her relationship with Zack is awkward only comes about 20% into the book. They slept together right after Sadie's attempt murder from the last book, and Zack gave her the cold shoulder for some time.
Sadie has been helping a friend and owner of another trauma company and a biker gang's money goes missing, Sadie is the suspect.
Sadie also meets an evil spirit.
The whole baby in the goat's cavity was really creepy.
Zack was sup
Dec 09, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
The second in the Ghost dusters mystery series. Sadie, the owner of a crime scene cleanup company in Seattle, comes across the remains of a cult ritual when they arrive at a meth crime scene. A newborn baby is hidden behind the remains of a goat in a shed at the back of the property. Sadie sees the baby's murdered mother and speaks with her. Problems arise when Sadie realizes the meth scene bikers are upset their ritual was disturbed and money they had hidden in the house is missing. Sadie becom ...more
Jeannie Holbrook
Oct 09, 2013 Jeannie Holbrook rated it it was ok
Devil May Ride is the second book in the Ghost Dusters Series.

Contains Small Spoilers

Sadie Novak can see and talk to the dead. Sadie runs Scene 2 Clean,a crime scene clean up company. She has Zack, an ex-cop,who she slept with in the last book. This book takes up a year after the first one. Zack has kept his distance from Sadie and she is confused. Then she hires Jackie who is younger and you know what is gonna happen with that..
Sadie deals with meth dealing crazed bikers who thinks she stol
Jan 21, 2013 Vilia rated it liked it
Review from Backchatting Books

Wendy Roberts has upped the ante her second novel in the Ghost Dusters Mystery series. Before we simply had to deal with finding the killer of a silent ghost but this time there is a cult, a biker gang, missing money and the big reveal on how she gained her gift.

There is a time jump between the previous novel and this one which I found a bit disconcerting– Sadie has become friends with the fortune teller Maeva who she had thought was a charlatan and her co-worker Z
Jul 11, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing
This book had a bunch of different tangents but they were wove nicely together. I loved the second book in this series and now things seems to be better explained.

This is on the high end of cozy as the murders are pretty brutal, but the humor and the romance is there to make it not quite a thriller.

If you like cute ghost stories that have happy endings then I would give this a try.

I am giving it 5 out of 5 stars and can't wait to read the next one and I just happen to have it.
Apr 20, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
I just really like the main character in this book...Sadie...and I love her occupation and the fact that she can see dead people...Wendy is continuing with the series and new book is coming out Dec 2009.
The only reason this book does not get 5 stars is because I think the writing could be better. Wendy is falling back on some old and worn out cliches in the love department...With everything else being unique in her books... how about a love life that is just as unique?
Apr 09, 2010 Darcy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, uf, ghosts
Sadie is back and this time around trouble seems to affect every aspect of her life. After a one nighter with Zach things are weird between them, she doesn't trust her new employee Jackie, she's covering for the meth cleaning service, her aunt is visiting, her sister is almost ready to give birth, oh and her latest cleaning job turns up 1 dead ghost dog, 1 dead ghost woman, 1 dead goat, and 1 live baby, it really can't get any more weird.

When all of these seemingly unrealated events start to me
Beth Revers
Aug 04, 2015 Beth Revers rated it really liked it
Some of the descriptions about crime scene cleanup fare a little ummm descriptive. All in all a good addition to the series. As with any of these you have to buy into the paranormal stuff for the duration of the book. I like the characters and the growth they experienced. We learn more about the family this time out. While fairly serious in tone some laugh out loud moments are great.
Feb 08, 2013 Leya rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
What is a girl to do when she has a gang of bikers, an evil ghost, and satanic cult after her? Rely on her family and friends for help. And that exactly what happens. That's one of the thing I enjoy in this series, she doesn't work alone, she has a number of willing helpers.

Like the first book, this one is fast paced. The storyline moves along quickly without having those awkward moments - as if you are missing something. We get more information on Sadie's brother Brian and the possible reasons
May 09, 2009 Gail rated it liked it
Sadie owns a crime scene clean up crew and she also talks to the dead. She's very judgmental of others with these kinds of skills and woefully ill informed about others in the spiritual, magical, psychic communities. This causes her trouble.

As a favor to another crime scene clean up business owner, her company is cleaning up meth labs. During one heat wave clean up, she interrupts a satanic-like ritual and rescues a baby. Coincidentally (not) she's called to clean up the death scened of a murder
Enjoyable storyline, but the casual sexism that the main character's love interest employs (and the MC's stereotypical reactions) annoyed me. Example: the MC has angered a local motorcycle gang through a series of misunderstandings. She is driving home and sees a dozen of them idling on her street and in her driveway. She is understandably afraid, immediately turns around and flees before they see her. She calls her business partner (also love interest/ex-cop) and this is their conversation:
Sadie's cleaning company does not usually clean meth labs, but she is helping out a friend and she usually does not run into any ghosts, yes ghosts, at them. You see, Sadie can see and talk to the dead. She can also help them cross over to where ever they are supposed to go. But at this new assignment, Sadie and co-worker Zach are surprised to find a baby, a dead goat and a ghost right out of hell. Looks like they interupted a satanic ceremony, and that is just the beginning.

I enjoyed this secon
Jan 17, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Devil May Ride (Ghost Duster Mysteries, No. 2) By Wendy Roberts. This is one series readers will not want to miss out on reading. I have read book 1 The Remains of the Dead and loved it.

Devil May Ride was a very good read that had me up late at night wanting to find out what happens next with the characters.

Sadie Novak is able to talk to the dead. Her calling is to help them get to the other side to move on. Sadie is the owner of a company called Scene-2-Clean she is use to cleaning up the mess
Adrienne Testa
Mar 09, 2013 Adrienne Testa rated it really liked it
the second book in this series fast forward a year. Sadie's sister is preggers, she is cleaning up meth houses, dealing with a motorcycle gang who thinks she stole their money, a cult who wants her special abilities and a nosy reporter. Sadie and Zack's relationship is rocky, both dealing with their feelings for each other as a new employee starts to work for Sadie. To Sadie's surprise she learns her dead brother's secret and finds the truth in why he actually committed suicide. This story is in ...more
Sep 10, 2015 Terralyn rated it it was amazing
This book was even better than the first!! I did not want to put it down. Much more mysterious and complicated plot line without being overdone. I will definitely be reading number three!
My first Wendy Roberts' books, and boy, was i hooked. This is one of the best cozy/paranormal mystery series i have read so far. The storyline of all 3 books were engaging and simply a joy to read, so much so that i was sad to see it end.

A few days later, a very lucky me found out that Ms Roberts had wrote a fourth book 3 years after the last one. Which i also finished within a day. Haha

This is truly a great series and i recommend it to anyone who likes a good mystery that is light and full of
Dec 16, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Love this series so far and can't wait to read the next one. Well written and entertaining books from beginning to end.
  • Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin, #5)
  • Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #3)
Wendy Roberts was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, where she fended off frost bite in winter and mosquito bites in summer.

At the tender age of eight Wendy's writing career sprouted and she wrote the poignant tale of a cup of flour's journey to become a birthday cake. It received mixed reviews from her peers. After a hiatus that lasted a few decades, she rediscovered her muse.

Wendy re
More about Wendy Roberts...

A Ghost Dusters Mystery (5 books)
  • The Remains of the Dead (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Kicking (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Suite (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #4)
  • Drop Dead Beauty (A Ghost Dusters Mystery #5)