Start by marking “Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems” as Want to Read:
Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems

Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The world has changed radically since the first edition of this book was published in 2001. Spammers, virus writers, phishermen, money launderers, and spies now trade busily with each other in a lively online criminal economy and as they specialize, they get better. In this indispensable, fully updated guide, Ross Anderson reveals how to build systems that stay dependable ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Security Engineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Security Engineering

Soh Kam Yung
Aug 19, 2013 Soh Kam Yung rated it it was amazing
An impressive technical book that looks at security in all its forms (physical, computer based, social) and shows you the various ways security can be implemented and compromised.

This book also shows you why security should never be a 'by-the-way' or implemented after the fact but must be considered right at the start. Not only that, it also shows you why a world-view of security should be considered; it is not something that can only be targeted at one part of a system and expected to work.

Cove
Francis Liu
Aug 04, 2008 Francis Liu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there are any technical books that are page-turners, this is one of them.

Page after page of real world security and engineering issues. Lucidly explained and illustrated.

The sections on nuclear reactor design and smart cards are very illuminating.

If you've ever wondered why good engineering is expensive, this is the one to explain it.

I wish I could write as clearly as Anderson.
Will
Nov 30, 2013 Will rated it liked it
I'm of two minds about this book.

One the one hand, it's an amazingly comprehensive reference. If you're not a security geek, this book will tell you everything you never knew you wanted to know. It doesn't just cover code or web applications, but it covers just about every single security scheme humanity has invented, from nuclear launch codes to PINs to PKI to passive snooping through Van Eck phreaking. It's solid.

BUT. It's also all over the place. The book is not a "guide to building dependabl
Murali Suriar
Dec 13, 2013 Murali Suriar rated it really liked it
A solid book on security, covering many aspects - threat modelling, vulnerability analysis, enforcement, assurance/certification, with a heavy focus on the economic interests of the various principles involved in security, both electronic and physical. The book is very readable; the stuff with scary maths is easily skimmed over, and the rest of the book is full of well-written, relevant and interesting examples. I didn't give this book 5 stars only because it was a little too general; it seemed ...more
Joel Land
Jun 27, 2013 Joel Land rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Amazing, everything one could dream for in a technical textbook. I'd venture to say it's well-enough written that it might appeal to readers passingly interested in the subject or even bored sitters in a room with no other form of entertainment (these types might even want to carry it out of the unfortunate situation as thanks for the help in passing the time amicably). My favorite schoolbook since returning to duty.
Xiaofei Guo
Mar 19, 2013 Xiaofei Guo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: security
This book took me four weeks to read, but it is fantastic. Just like what the two security engineers said.

"Security Engineering is different from any other kind of programming...if you're even thinking of doing any security engineering, you need to read this book." -Bruce Schneier

"This is the best book on computer security. Buy it, but more importantly, read it and apply it to your work." -Gary McGraw

Gregg
Jun 16, 2015 Gregg rated it liked it
I'm ashamed to say that it took me more than 2 years to finish this book. However, I think it is significant that even a fiction reader, like me, can enjoy this book. In my opinion, the book is losing relevance because even this second edition is now 7 years old. While reading it, there were many times that I wondered what the author would say about more recent developments.
Takedown
Sep 06, 2014 Takedown rated it really liked it
Wow took me a while to finish this one. At first i tried to read cover to cover but was unable to due to work and i had trouble to stay focused and interested but after a while i had to skip some parts. Nonetheless book is a great compilation of various security and side-fields which provide historical lessons and "what to not do" when building security systems.
Jari Pirhonen
The best security book ever written.
Jason Copenhaver
Aug 05, 2013 Jason Copenhaver rated it liked it
Yes.. It's a textbook, but an interesting one. It covers a wide range of security topics with plenty of supporting material, future reading, and even research ideas. The fact that it was updated recently and released for free as PDF helps as well. Anyone interested in security should read this.
Justin Andrusk
Sep 14, 2013 Justin Andrusk rated it it was amazing
One of the best security books I have ever read. I plan on applying a number of principles outlined in the book. I recommend it to any serious security practitioner.
Eric
Dec 16, 2013 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-school
ugh. This book was chocked full of information, but it was obfuscated by nearly illegible grammar and structure. Exceptionally difficult reading.
Jeff Rogers
Dec 01, 2015 Jeff Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Great reference
Tulraj Tamang
Tulraj Tamang rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2016
Ian Lee
Ian Lee marked it as to-read
Tambor
Tambor marked it as to-read
Luis Moreno
Luis Moreno marked it as to-read
Eric Fitzgerald
Eric Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Huda Ali
Huda Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Alexander
Alexander is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Dontoskid Ayo
Dontoskid Ayo marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Riyaz Mohamed
Riyaz Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Amirbek
Amirbek marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
John Scarborough
John Scarborough rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Ikechukwu Fredrick
Ikechukwu Fredrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Omesh
Omesh marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
  • The Art of Software Security Assessment: Identifying and Avoiding Software Vulnerabilities
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications, Volume II
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • 802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide
  • Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • Security Metrics: Replacing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Practical UNIX & Internet Security

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »