Six Tales From The Jazz Age (And Other Stories)

Six Tales From The Jazz Age (And Other Stories)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Nine short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of The Great Gatsby.
Published 1960 by Charles Scribner's Sons (first published 1925)

Bruce
These stories were all written for magazines, and are perfect examples of "slick magazine fiction." Each one is engaging, well-written, moving, and has much evidence of the sophisticated style and high seriousness which characterizes Fitzgerald's later work. Often they contain a good deal of very engaging wit and humor.

All that being said: they are not worth reading, unless one is interested in Fitzgerald's growth as a writer (which I am). Fitzgerald's efforts to pander to the magazine reader of...more
~Sara~
Fitzgerald's Tales of the Jazz Age made me wish I lived during that era even though they weren't stories with happy endings, just fantastic stories of how life could be (but probably wasn't). These stories really make you examine the relationships people have with one another and made me think about how my own were similar or different as I read.

In The Jelly-Bean a man who isn't really worth much from society's point of view is almost persuaded to turn his life around and make something of himse...more
Monica Madaus
Somebody makes a good point mentioning that these stories were written for magazines, that is, for income. Which evidently he achieved.

I'm not knocking that, but it does create different constraints. His daughter, in her introduction, doesn't come right out and say so, but she comes pretty close.

My favorite of the bunch was "Hot and Cold Blood." For someone who's best known remark deals with the rich, this provides an interesting account of the not-so. I like the way it manages to present differ...more
Michele
In questi giorni mi è capitato di vedere il film Il curioso caso di Benjamin Button. Non sono un assiduo frequentatore di sale cinematografiche e di rado mi precipito a vedere l'ultimo film appena uscito. Preferisco seguire percorsi indipedenti, che somigliano ai percorsi di lettura. In fondo i buoni film non invecchiano. Così, mi è venuta poi voglia di andare a leggere il racconto omonimo, contenuto in Six Tales of the Jazz Age di Fitzgerald, da cui il film è tratto (a dir la verità molto liber...more
Tiffany
I really, really like Fitzgerald's writing style, especially in his short stories. I think Fitzgerald could be the Great Find of my adult years (Amazing that I made it into my late twenties before reading *any* of his work).

1) "The Jelly-bean" - 2.5 stars
2) "The Camel's Back" - 3 stars
3) "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - 4.5 stars - I could see how this would be an amazing and startling story before the movie made the concept known to everyone in the world, especially when it was first pub...more
Trin
The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels of all time, so I was kind of bummed to find this collection of short stories—the first examples of Fitzgerald’s short fiction I’ve read since high school—rather underwhelming. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood, but nothing in here electrified me the way Gatsby does, and I began to feel sodden from such a deluge of stories about unpleasant women. Poor Scott; your issues are showing, man.

It was interesting to read “The Curious Case of Benjamin Bu...more
George
I don't recall ever reading anything of F. Scott Fitzgerald's writings, before. Now that I have, prompted by the movie 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', which was based on Fitzgerald's short story of the same name (included in this volume), I will count him among my favorite (short) story tellers; along with O'Henry, Mark Twain and T.C. Boyle.

The first two stories included in the 'Six Tales of the Jazz Age and Other Stories'. i.e. 'The Jelly-Bean' and 'The Camel's Back' are just so-so. Begi...more
Hamish
These were somewhat famously done for money, and the implication has always been that they were slick, watered down stories written to appeal to the large audience that purchased magazines like The Saturday Evening Post. And yes, some of them (Hot and Cold Blood, The Adjuster) do feel pretty lightweight, with hackneyed twist endings, but others (The Camel's Back, The Lees of Happiness) are actually pretty exceptional. Fitzgerald is enough of an artist that even his obviously for money work is st...more
Jacqui N
I found myself mentally giving Jazz Age fashion, cars, and other trappings to the characters, because, after all, the title of the book says "Jazz Age." However, most of these stories could be comfortably set in another decade. Rereading Fitzgerald's writing after a hiatus of many years, I let myself forget his talent as a writer. Entertaining and witty stories, written for magazines. I find Benjamin Button the weakest of the stories...it appears like the author was trying something new...but th...more
Danielle
The Camel's Back was my favorite, but I enjoyed all the stories.
Anne
The first two stories, The Jelly-Bean and the Camel's Back were quite good. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was not as good as its premise (aging backwards) would seem to promise. The rest of the collection, culled from Tales from the Jazz Age (1922) and a later collection of Fitzgerald's short stories, is uneven in quality and does not contain A Diamond as Big as the Ritz as the original collection did. Still, it is definitely worth reading for the stories that do succeed.
Jrobertus
Fitzgerald is one of our most famous authors; I also read the Great Gatsby which is clearly his most famous. These short stories are interesting in presenting the mind set of post WWI young people, generally those from the educated ranks. Fitzgerald seems to be analyzing the relations of men and the new, independent minded woman of the time. The social structure seems archaic to us now, but the underlying issues are very contemporary.
Elise
Jul 14, 2010 Elise is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any F. Scott Fitzgerald in recent memory but like this thus far. I picked it up because it had The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which was a thousand times better in short story than in film). I prefer his works to other stuff I've read this summer because he describes everyone and everything with intensity and skims over saying what happened.
Vincent
I had read four of the eleven stories prior to picking up this book, so I focused on reading these, including "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which has great differences to the movie version.
Of these seven stories, I was drawn to "The Adjuster" and "O Russet Witch" the most, but these do not fair well versus his more famous short stories.
Lisa
I was a little put off by the intro because its written by FSG's own daughter snd she sets it up to sound kind of boring and not about the jazz age that we think was the jazz age. These stories are about ordinary people in that time period and most of them are quite good, much better than I expected.
Kristin
After about the fourth short story I felt that the themes, characters, and tensions lacked variety. Fitzgerald's writing always catches me but his characters in the last three stories made dim his artistry. Would recommend but would also suggest sticking to his novels.
Carole
Many of the stories did not resonate with me, but I thought that they were imaginative. "The Case of Benjamin Button" was the original concept for the movie by the same name and interesting in its differences.
Judith Goff
Selected by my bookgroup. Still thinking about how to assess the stories. The plots and ideas and even perspectives seem to me to be definitely flawed, but some of the writing is definitely beautiful. More later.
Lucky
there is nothing profound in these stories except maybe their triviality. however, i think this boom is worth the read - you'll find yourself feeling very satisfied at the end of each tale.
Shannon
Thoroughly enchanted by Fitzgerald's paradoxical images of the American 1920's, both glamorous and tragic, sparkling yet hollow. Loved the short stories.
Jenny
Amusing and witty. Mainly about love, relationships, and young married life. Most have surprising endings. And more than a few touch on insanity.
Jessie
My favorite story was The Adjuster. The other were good, interesting how everyone has all the same issues no matter what decade they live in.
Betty
Worth another read, individual stories range in quality but on balance entertaining. Short stories can be quite refreshing.
Maureen M
Fascinating collection of short stories that shows how F. Scott Fitzgerald sustained himself between books.
stacia
Contains "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which I really dig, and "The Jelly-Bean," also rather dope.
Kalle
Fantastic short stories, with The Camel's Back and The Lees of Happiness being the highlights.
Shannon
I only read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but I should really read the others too.
Kay
Not much to say - I think I liked the style more than the themes though....
Erica Kritt
Fun and fast. Great insight into the 1920s with very curious topics.
Nate
May 06, 2007 Nate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Short Story Fans
Fitzgerald is a master of Short Story, his stories are timeless.
  • The Portable Faulkner
  • Winner Take Nothing
  • A Piece Of My Heart
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • The Bleeding Heart: A Novel
  • Bucking the Sun
  • The Nudist on the Late Shift: And Other True Tales of Silicon Valley
  • Loon Lake
  • Irretrievable
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned