Blank-133x176
Sternenkrone 05/06: De...

Kate Elliott

Sternenkrone 05/06: Der brennende Stein / Das Rad des Schicksals : Zwei Folgen in einem Band!: 5+6 (Crown of Stars #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,062 ratings  ·  44 reviews
There is nothing more tragic than legitimate ambition comprehensively thwarted. Kate Elliott's fantasy sequence has a bleak sadness even in its moments of triumph, simply because her heroes and heroines seem as if they are never going to get the chance to be all they could be. Alan, suddenly adopted heir to the local noble, is obliged to marry an anorexic princess whose ho...more
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sternenkrone 05/06, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sternenkrone 05/06

Jessica Diedrich
The third volume in The Crown of Stars saga, The Burning Stone continues the character threads and story plots into an ever more twisted tale. Enjoyable read and some vivid moments- though I do agree that at times, some character POV's seem superfluous and don't contribute to the overall world as strongly as others. I enjoy that the characters are flawed in their own ways and behave differently to how I sometimes envision they would. Liath's character took a turn to the frustrating side for me-...more
Cheryl
Dragged badly and found myself bored for much of the book with a bit of a struggle to finish. If only I could have read an abridged version that focused more on the main characters and removed all the space filling fluff.

sensitive readers: (view spoiler)...more
Rhonda
After reading the first and second in the series I was becoming a little tired of the story so this may not be a fair review. I still like the basic story I just feel like there is just too much going on. There are too many characters and they all have their own separate story. They all tie into the main story but there is just so much going on, so many characters, that you just feel disconnected with all of it. If the author had followed the main characters of Laith and Sanglant, and maybe Alai...more
Kaity
This is an excellent book. I love how she adds characters as the books go on. The first starts with Alain and Liath, and Then goes on and on. The first two books can be slow, since they have to explain so much, and as the series goes on, it gets easier to understand and follow. This is one of the best ones, but you would never imagine what happens in the last books while reading this one, which makes it so dang interesting!! Kate Elliot is so talented!
Dave
Oct 03, 2007 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
So a lot happens in this book and at a pretty good rate. With so many reveals going on, you have to work hard to put it down each night.
I can hardly wait to continue with the next book.
Lightreads
Epic fantasy, emphasis on the epic. Young orphan with a magical legacy, lost Count's heir, King's bastard, inhuman enemies, glorious battles, coming magical calamity foretold in the stars, you know the sort of thing.

I read the first three volumes of seven, but now I think I'm done with this for a long time. I'd heard vaguely about this series before, but I was a bit puzzled – why didn't people rave about 5000 pages of generally well-written, intricately plotted high fantasy? When speaking of the...more
Mei-Lu
This is the third of seven books in Kate Elliott's epic fantasy series Crown of Stars. I did NOT enjoy this series and actually gave up two-thirds of the way through book five.

It's funny, because in my review of book two (Prince of Dogs) I said this series was like the hybrid baby of George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. I say funny because it turns out Orson Scott Card LOVES this series and has written a really positive review of it. You can read it her...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Crown of Stars series is well-thought out and obviously well-planned. It's epic in scope and it's got a lot of texture. There are many complex characters who we follow in parallel, as in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Some of them are very likable, and there are some really excellent villains (e.g., Hugh). Ms. Elliott's creatures are imaginative and enjoyable, and I especially liked the way they interact with the humans. Ms. Elliott uses a lot of descr...more
Darla
Better than the first but in many ways, not as good as the second. I feel like the author tried to put too much into one book. There are so many stories going on at once, there was once or twice where I really had to work at remembering who was that particular character. I also really admire authors who can write a series in which each book could stand alone... this one definitely could not. I did want to keep reading because there were certain characters or events I couldn't wait to find out "w...more
Stephanie
I liked it, and I will keep reading the series, but it dragged a little. I found myself skimming a lot. I love the complexity of the story, but unfortunately not all of the story-lines are equally compelling, and I was impatient to get back to the ones which interested me. I also like how unpredictable the plot is; it rarely goes where I expect.
Kaylee
After the first two books, I was thoroughly (and reluctantly) admitting my enjoyment of the series. The writing still annoyed me, but the story was on the forefront of my mind while reading.

This book was rather long and confusing. I saw other people complain about the number of characters to keep straight; I wholeheartedly agree. I'd just started being interested in two of the characters introduced in book 2; they never showed up in the second half of this book. On the other hand, I found myself...more
Sara
I'm still loving this saga. I will take a break from it now, though. Not only because the books are looong, but also because I have a feeling I wont see any real ending until I finish the 7th book and I need the instant satisfaction of shorter books.

There is nothing I can say about this book, I haven't say before. The world building Kate Elliott displays in this books is astonishing and she seems to have truly thought about how the story would unfold, in 7 books.

I would only wish to see more of...more
Joy
This novel isn't all that bad, but it's still about three times as long as it should be, which encourages the easily distracted reader (see: me) to skim at great length. It's a shame, because here's so much that's promising about the worldbuilding; in the end, though, there are too many narrative strands that don't quite hold together. Also, though there are many complex women characters, several of them are reduced to near caricatures (as if Elliott is simultaneously riffing off of and buying i...more
Michelle Wardhaugh
At this point I've started dragging my feet about reading this. Each book in the series is getting longer, and it just feels like one bad thing after another keeps happening to our many heroes. The main characters are still likable, but there's so much going on, so many divisions and reunions, and so many choices between equally bad options, that it has become work to keep reading. I suppose expending a little effort now and then as a reader isn't a bad thing, but this won't be on the re-reading...more
Jona
Raises the stakes quite a bit. It also embraces more straightforwardly (and organically!) the more fantastic elements scattered through the first two volumes in the series, which is all for the better - as the world itself finally "catches up" to the story's stretching out beyond the "alternate early medieval Europe" frame.
Sarah Wagner
This novel, the third volume in the Crown of Stars series, sees a number of changes for the characters. Alain, Listh, and Sanglant all learn new things about themselves and their pasts, as well as experiencing abrupt turns in their own fortunes. They also receive tantalizing clues about the dangers their world may be facing and their own roles in the struggle to come. A rich and rewarding read, I can't wait to start the next!
Jeffery
The reason this didn't get a higher rating is due to that affliction common to series books -- bloat. I wish Elliott had trimmed 100 pages from this. I know fans, upon reading a great first book, are eager for more detail, but I wish authors -- and publishers! -- would resist the temptation to sacrifice a taught tale by adding too much. Still, I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Sarah Jane
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Al
Almost went 2 stars on this one. I struggled with the increased role of religion and the obvious Christian parallels. I admit that my bias as a reader is to accept "magic" as a valid fantasy world mechanic, and to dismiss "religion" as unmitigated BS - even when there is no effective difference between their effect on the world. This personal bias made this book a tough read.
Wealhtheow
I grew frustrated by the numerous characters and slow patches, and gave up on the series after this book. I liked many of the characters and the world building, but this series fell into too many of the traps of Epic Fantasy (I'm looking at you, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, and even GRRMartin) for me to perservere. Perhaps someday I'll go back to it.
Servius  Heiner
Well, so far this is probably the best book of the series so far. There were some slow parts (due to all the explanations that were required to proceed with the story I suppose). Allot of bad things happen to some really good characters, which is always entertaining, even if it is upsetting. I can't wait to start the next book in a week.
Deanne Robin
Again there are more characters to follow and it is getting a bit harder to keep straight but the characters are starting to intertwine more. Each point of view gives a little different look on some of the same situation and that leads to more answers than if it was just one point of view.
Tim
Elliott's "Crown of Stars" series starts to go downhill a little here, and never quite consistently reaches the heights of the first two books. Still, despite throwing too many characters, plots and details into the mix, this is good stuff.
Sara
This one was one of my favorites of the series except for the first one. (the first one has to be good or else I don't keep reading it) The plot moved forward and I never wanted to put he book down.
Armando Alvarez
Sep 18, 2007 Armando Alvarez rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 17 and up
confusing at some parts requires time and thought to map it out.Takes time and effort to read but really worth it.
Taught me that lifes a trip sometimes and cant blame anyone or anything just how it goes.
Nicolet
I give it 4 stars because I'm mad about Alain. But as I read further into the book Child Of Flame I'm starting to get why it happened the way it did. I couldn't stand his wife the faker any way!
Ria
I can't say that I remember if I finished this book or not. I was reading it around the time I left California, that much I remember. I'll try picking it up later and seeing how much I remember.
Lasairfiona Smith
If I can't get through a book because it is boring and I think the characters are idiots, I'd say the book is a failure. I haven't even thought to pick it back up in months. Forget it.
Lisayak
Good character development and action spots. Some lulls but good progression through series. Great author who I'd like to see more of, especially the Spirit Gate series...
Jenny
having sanglant and liath get together is pretty good, but the continued crap from hugh is yucky and the powerful and evil acting badly and getting away with it is yucky as well
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • The Golden Key
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely...more
More about Kate Elliott...
King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1) Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1) Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4) Cold Fire (Spiritwalker, #2)