Start by marking “D.C. Noir 2: The Classics” as Want to Read:
D.C. Noir 2: The Classics

D.C. Noir 2: The Classics (D.C. Noir #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Classic reprints from: Edward P. Jones, George Pelecanos, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Richard Wright, Langston Hughes, James Grady, Julian Mayfield, Marita Golden, Elizabeth Hand, Julian Mazor, Ward Just, Jean Toomer, Roach Brown, Larry Neal, and others.

George Pelecanos is an independent film producer, the recipient of numerous international writing awards, a producer and an Emm
Published September 1st 2008 by Akashic Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about D.C. Noir 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.C. Noir 2

Denise Dougherty
Love the Noir city series. This, in particular, was a surprise as it featured a very old fav - Ross Thomas whose books I inhaled during the 1980s. It was fun to read him again. I also like that the City Noir series is revisiting some (cities) with Classics versions and pulling from earlier published authors - like Ross Thomas.

What I like best about City Noir series is that it will take me years to plow through them. Isn't that good news?

DD@Phila
Barbara Gavin
A collection of very good short stories
David
The selections that had the greatest impact on me were the grittiest, James Grady's "Kiss the Sky" (1996) and an excerpt from Cast a Yellow Shadow, by Ross Thomas, from 1967.
Ron
I've actually only read three of the stories in this collection so far--"The Dead Their Eyes Implore Us" by George Pelecanos, "A Rich Man" by Edward P. Jones, and "Wonderwall" by Elizabeth Hand--but they were all fantastic stories, really wonderful stuff.
Ron Burch
More from this hit noir series. Standouts for me was Edward P. Jones' "A Rich Man," which I thought you can also read in his "Aunt Hagar's Children" collection. Also Paul Laurence Dunbar's story, which was written in 1900, and still seems frighteningly relevant.
James
This anthology is a great sampler of literature by DC authors. It covers the real city - all those neighborhoods beyond Capitol Hill and K Street. Includes a fine piece by Paul Lawrence Dunbar.
Darryl
A collection of short stories from DC-native writers spanning from 1900 to the present. The early stories have a lot of racial undertones to them. Fun, and interesting, reading so far.
Jill Yesko
A very mixed bag. Not all the stories are classic noire. Methinks the editor rounded up some fellow authors to round out the collection.
Marc
Aug 20, 2008 Marc is currently reading it
more to dc than the west wing. Noir short stories reveal a complex city on and off the hill.
Elaine
Jul 01, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read
Too many other books to read so I'll get this back from the library another time.

p. 127
Maureen
If you know DC, this is a must for you. I read about 2 stories every night on vacation.
Donna
Jan 08, 2009 Donna added it
Excellent
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Chris Doyle
Chris Doyle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Marie F. Pascal
Marie F. Pascal marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Shehzad Arifeen
Shehzad Arifeen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rin
Rin marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Coby
Coby marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Francescaj
Francescaj marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Zachariah Stonerock
Zachariah Stonerock is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Yuki Yue
Yuki Yue marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
George P. Pelecanos (born 1957 in Washington, D.C.) is an American author of detective fiction set primarily in the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. He is also a film and television producer and a television writer. He has worked extensively on the HBO series The Wire. His novels use an ensemble cast of characters, following their exploits across several generations. While there are ...more
More about George Pelecanos...

D.C. Noir (2 books)
  • D.C. Noir
The Night Gardener Right as Rain (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn #1) The Cut The Turnaround The Big Blowdown