Start by marking “D.C. Noir 2: The Classics” as Want to Read:
D.C. Noir 2: The Classics

D.C. Noir 2: The Classics (D.C. Noir #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Classic reprints from: Edward P. Jones, George Pelecanos, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Richard Wright, Langston Hughes, James Grady, Julian Mayfield, Marita Golden, Elizabeth Hand, Julian Mazor, Ward Just, Jean Toomer, Roach Brown, Larry Neal, and others.

Published September 1st 2008 by Akashic Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about D.C. Noir 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.C. Noir 2

Tuxlie
May 12, 2015 Tuxlie added it
Shelves: crime

George Pelecanos is an independent film producer, the recipient of numerous international writing awards, a producer and an Emmy-nominated writer of the HBO series The Wire, and the author of fifteen novels set in and around Washington, DC. He is the e

John Hilton
Dec 27, 2015 John Hilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as they come

I have found that some of the stories in the "classic" noir series can be dated, even a little boring. Maybe it's not the fault of the author's but wanting more action, femme fatale, and murder. Not the case with this collection. I REALLY enjoyed every story and even found myself looking up all the author's I didn't know afterword. Well worth it!
Jon
Jul 28, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it
A collection of stories set in D.C. from 1900 to 2006, by various authors, known and unknown. Forget the noir aspect – that’s mostly marketing. Some good writing here, some good D.C. ambience, some writers worth pursuing. Julian Mazor, James Grady, Benjamin M. Schutz are standouts.
Denise Dougherty
Nov 25, 2014 Denise Dougherty rated it liked it
Love the Noir city series. This, in particular, was a surprise as it featured a very old fav - Ross Thomas whose books I inhaled during the 1980s. It was fun to read him again. I also like that the City Noir series is revisiting some (cities) with Classics versions and pulling from earlier published authors - like Ross Thomas.

What I like best about City Noir series is that it will take me years to plow through them. Isn't that good news?

DD@Phila
Barbara Gavin
Aug 08, 2014 Barbara Gavin rated it liked it
A collection of very good short stories
David
Jul 03, 2009 David rated it liked it
The selections that had the greatest impact on me were the grittiest, James Grady's "Kiss the Sky" (1996) and an excerpt from Cast a Yellow Shadow, by Ross Thomas, from 1967.
Ron
Oct 18, 2008 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, noir
I've actually only read three of the stories in this collection so far--"The Dead Their Eyes Implore Us" by George Pelecanos, "A Rich Man" by Edward P. Jones, and "Wonderwall" by Elizabeth Hand--but they were all fantastic stories, really wonderful stuff.
Ron Burch
Sep 11, 2010 Ron Burch rated it liked it
More from this hit noir series. Standouts for me was Edward P. Jones' "A Rich Man," which I thought you can also read in his "Aunt Hagar's Children" collection. Also Paul Laurence Dunbar's story, which was written in 1900, and still seems frighteningly relevant.
James
Dec 27, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
This anthology is a great sampler of literature by DC authors. It covers the real city - all those neighborhoods beyond Capitol Hill and K Street. Includes a fine piece by Paul Lawrence Dunbar.
Darryl
Jul 18, 2009 Darryl rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories from DC-native writers spanning from 1900 to the present. The early stories have a lot of racial undertones to them. Fun, and interesting, reading so far.
Jill Yesko
Jul 30, 2013 Jill Yesko rated it liked it
A very mixed bag. Not all the stories are classic noire. Methinks the editor rounded up some fellow authors to round out the collection.
Marc
Aug 20, 2008 Marc is currently reading it
more to dc than the west wing. Noir short stories reveal a complex city on and off the hill.
Elaine
Jul 01, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read
Too many other books to read so I'll get this back from the library another time.

p. 127
Maureen
Jan 04, 2009 Maureen rated it really liked it
If you know DC, this is a must for you. I read about 2 stories every night on vacation.
Jamila
I only liked about 3 or 4 of the stories.
Donna
Jan 08, 2009 Donna added it
Excellent
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Kirt
Kirt marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Diana Kyoseva
Diana Kyoseva marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Dan Labson
Dan Labson is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2015
LaJonnetta Sutton
LaJonnetta Sutton rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Nils
Nils marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Joele Michaud
Joele Michaud rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 05, 2015
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Manhattan Noir
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • Mexico City Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Detroit Noir
  • Seattle Noir
  • Dublin Noir: The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American
George P. Pelecanos (born 1957 in Washington, D.C.) is an American author of detective fiction set primarily in the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. He is also a film and television producer and a television writer. He has worked extensively on the HBO series The Wire. His novels use an ensemble cast of characters, following their exploits across several generations. While there are ...more
More about George Pelecanos...

D.C. Noir (2 books)