Start by marking “House of Many Ways” as Want to Read:
House of Many Ways

House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,915 Ratings  ·  1,312 Reviews
Charmaine Baker - raised to be respectable by mother Berenice who forbade magic, housework, or pets - buries herself in books, until Great Aunt Sophrinia volunteers the teen to house-sit for Great-Uncle William. New apprentice Peter Regis finds a map, insists they clean up laundry and dishes, but misfires spells. Blue kobolds and monstrous purple-eyed lubbocks attack.
Published June 2nd 2008 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about House of Many Ways, please sign up.

Nic
Dec 08, 2010 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Lawrence
Feb 18, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now read the trilogy to Celyn and all three books are very good. Books 2 and 3 don't quite reach the highs of Howl's Moving Castle for me, but they're great stories to read to an 11 year old (I should note here that Celyn is severely disabled and can't read for herself).

The book was written 18 years after book 2, 22 years after book 1, and 3 years before the author's death. Despite that the feel of the thing is quite in keeping with the earlier instalments.

Once again we start with a new per
Erin
Dec 06, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: completists
Well, I feel a lot of guilt for giving the final chapter of the Castle series a measley 2 stars, but it is what it is.

The magic was pretty boring, consisting of water pipes heating up/cooling down, food appearing when you say "Breakfast, please!", and doorways that lead to many places depending on which direction you turn. Whoop-dee-doo.

The plot was so, so slow-moving. And predictable. Maybe if it had just been one or the other I would have been more satisfied, but slow-moving and predictable?
Emma
Jan 24, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
“House of Many Ways” is Jones’ third novel featuring Howl and Sophie, following “Howl’s Moving Castle” from 1986 (also a movie adaptation made by Hayao Miyazaki in 2004) and “Castle in the Air” from 1990. Although all of these novels stand alone very nicely, certain nuances of the story will make more sense if you read the novels in sequence. Certain characters’ cameo appearances will also be more satisfying with the background afforded by reading all three novels.

This particular story starts in
Becky
Jul 12, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. The writing was excellent, and it was certainly almost a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, although calling it the sequel is perhaps unfair to Castle in the Sky.

Vague spoilers follow:

It did rather fail as a traditional novel for two reasons. First, there was nothing much holding it together thematically. Charmain's character development was interesting and coherent, but it had no real bearing on the endgame of the plot, beyond the fact that it allowed her to be
Heidi
Oct 19, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-favorites
Diana Wynne Jones may be my favorite author for those days when life seems altogether mundane. For those days when I need some magic and adventure, but I also need a helping of the charmingly flawed and stubbornly relatable. House of Many Ways, DWJ’s final book in her Howl series does just that. There’s something incredibly gratifying about having a go-to author whose books you can pick up in a time of need and know for certain that she’ll pull through for you. Returning to the world of Ingary, ...more
Genevieve
To me this reads rather like Diana Wynne Jones trying to write a book that would translate perfectly into a Hayao Miyazaki movie. This sets it apart from Howl's Moving Castle , which was mutlilated in the process of being turned into a Miyazaki film. The hyperkinetic, overstuffed and underexplained action of the latter third or so; the surreal, dreamlike beauty of certain scenes; some bizarrely cute flourishes (like Waif); the frilly Anglo touches (Afternoon Tea, crumpets); the out-of-the-blue ...more
Feb 25, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Maravilloso. Diana Wynne Jones era un genio de la fantasía, y en este libro lo demuestra una y otra vez. Me encanta el universo mágico que crea, con esos personajes tan humanos.

Y me ha gustado sobre todo poder volver a ver a los personajes de El castillo ambulante, el primer libro de esta saga. Aunque este no llega a su nivel (es muy difícil alcanzarlo) sí es mejor que el segundo libro de la serie.

Le quito una estrellita por lo precipitado del último capítulo, pero es un libro que me ha gustad
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Much better than the second one! I really liked the characters, despite finding both Charmain and Peter annoying at times. She’s a bit of a lazy brat, and he’s a bit of screw up and a jerk, but it works. I quite enjoyed the story and the whimsical nature of everything as a whole. It’s fun, funny, fantastical, and brings the series to a very nice close.
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
Once again, not really a sequel to me since Howl and Sophie are more of supporting characters rather than main characters. The magic in this book was a lot quirkier and lot more reminiscent of Howl’s Moving Castle, but it’s always the characters that get me. This book revolves around Charmain, a mostly ordinary girl who is sent to care for the home of her wizard relation. I could have gotten more on board with this book as it had more of Howl and Sophie than the previous book and more of the set ...more
Exina
Oct 19, 2013 Exina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my Gosh, what an awful, disappointing story! What antipathetic and helpless characters! I was extremely irritated by Chairmain and Peter. Even Sophie and Howl are annoying. The ‘lubbock’, this purple-hued insect, is ridiculous. Even the last action scene is lousy.

Though I liked Mr. Baker, the kobolds, and Calcifer, it is not enough even for two stars.
Anzu The Great Destroyer

I'm having such a HUGE crush on Mrs. Diana Wynne Jones! I'm not sure you should trust me when it comes to her books.
Myles
Apr 11, 2011 Myles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
DWJ Book Toast, #8

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

A
I r h
Charmain ha vivido toda la vida rodeada de algodones. Nunca ha tenido que limpiar, ordenar o cocinar, ya que a sus padres no les parecía conveniente que ella hiciese algo así., ya que no es "respetable". Siempre ha vivido con la nariz metida en los libros, sin preocuparse de nada más. No tiene independencia, ni posibilidad alguna de demostrar su valía. Por eso, cuando su tía Sempronia (la cual, según dicen, es un poco bruja) le dice que tiene que cuidar de la casa de un tal tío William, que es m ...more
Sesana
May 09, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the Castle books, which still means that it's quite a good book. Sophie, Howl, and Calcifer are here, of course, and for much more of the book than they had been in Castle in the Air. They steal every scene they're in from Charmain, the newly introduced lead character.

Charmain is almost the entire reason why I felt like House of Many Ways didn't live up to the other Castle books. As a protagonist, she's a hard sell. She's cross and somewhat lazy, to the point that it took me
Margaret
This follows Castle in the Air as a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. Charmain Baker is pleased when her family sends her to look after Great-Uncle William's little cottage while he's ill; after all, she longs to have some time to herself and the freedom to read and do whatever she wants. But Great-Uncle William is the Royal Wizard of High Norland, and his house is...a little unusual. Soon Charmain is drawn into intrigue at the royal palace, where the king has called in magical help from another k ...more
Punk
Apr 24, 2011 Punk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YA Fantasy. Charmain Baker has lived her entire life in her parents' house with not a thing expected of her until she's shipped off to look after her great-uncle's house and she realizes just how many things she has no idea how to do! At that point it hardly matters that the house is magic and populated by her great-uncle's spells; she's already way out of her depth. Add to that a King, a small dog, an evil purple bug, and a bumbling apprentice, and Charmain has a lot of learning to do, and fast ...more
Meli
Jan 14, 2013 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No es el mejor de la trilogía, pero me encantó :3
Además me encantó que en la mayor parte del libro el exterior de Howl reflajara su interior jaja
Me gustó el final, me causó mucho Morgan y como se va gritando "Dingle", me causa muchísimo saber que Howl va a tener que lidiar con eso ahora (y que está criando un mini él!)

Ahora a superar la idea de que ya no voy a volver a leer nada nuevo sobre este señorito presumido :/

Veremos cuánto me dura la depresión post-Howl *se va corriendo a llorar a un rin
Sara Saif
“Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!”

It’s total injustice, I tell you, that this series hasn’t been adapted into films. Positively outrageous! Because these books are divine! It’s absolute perfection divided into three books.

House of Many Ways was as lovely as its predecessors. It’s the last book in The Land of Ingary trilogy. This time, it takes place in High Norland, another of Ingary’s neighboring countries. The protagonist is a red-headed bookish nerd who is left to look after her great-U

Cassie
Jun 10, 2008 Cassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Howl's Moving Castle
In this sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle, we once again move to a new continent, but we see the return of old favorites like Howl, Sophie, and Calcifer, as well as a few characters from Castle in the Air, namely Jamal and Princess Hilda.

When this book showed up in my mailbox, I excitedly pulled out all my Howl world books and reread them in anticipation of House of Many Ways. I probably need to reread it before truly judging it, but upon finishing it I didnt’ feel as much of a need to reread as I
Melissa McShane
Jul 21, 2008 Melissa McShane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, young-adult
This book feels far more similar in style and story to Howl's Moving Castle than the first "sequel," Castle in the Air, did. One of the things I love most about Jones's novels is how she makes ordinary things magical--and then explores the implications. Magical meal preparation! Where do the dishes go afterward? Wash dishes by magic! How do you make the soap bubbles stop? Howl's appearance in this book is hilarious, even though you really want to grab him around the collar and shake him until ...more
Jessica
Nov 24, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
Delightful, though that is only to be expected from Diana Wynne Jones! In this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air, respectable young Charmain Baker has been sent to housesit for her great uncle, a wizard. In his strange little cottage she encounters many things: a small stray dog, rooms upon rooms that even the wizard has never seen, multiplying laundry, and a hapless apprentice wizard, amonh other things. She also enounters a mystery or two, and it was fun to see how everythin ...more
Richard
Not quite as strong as the first two in the series.

What Jones did very well with this series is bringing to life enjoyable primary characters that are flawed in ways that are simultaneously amusing and understandable. The young heroine here keeps telling herself she must be nicer to Peter, who is a seriously clueless young man, as well as to others, but she keeps being distracted by how irritating they are. I suspect her target audience is the tween, and from what I vaguely recall of that age, t
Ahmad Sharabiani
House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3), Diana Wynne Jones (1934)
عنوان: خانه ی هزار تو: جلد 3 از قلعه متحرک هاول؛ نوشته: دایاناواین جونز؛ مترجم: شراره صدیق؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، کتابسرای تندیس، 1390، در 248 ص، شابک: 9786001820328؛
Elisabeth
Nov 11, 2008 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad that I never picked up a Diana Wynne Jones book as a teenager. She's a masterful writer, and each book is unique.
CFDeeDee
It was a nice read but not as good as Castle in the Air !!
maricar
Okay, to get it out of the way: Charmain is one of the main characters I've ever come across who I did not particularly care for. And, believe you me, I am saddened by that fact.

I thought that she was going to be this young lady who, despite having her head up in the clouds with her books, will display some charming qualities that would make her irreverent and interesting. But -- spoiler alert (?) -- she turned out to be selfish, thoughtless, lazy, irresponsible, rude, and ungrateful.

Sure, the n
Katja
Sep 05, 2015 Katja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alas, I reached the end of Howl's and Sophie's and Calcifer's adventures. And I still don't know anything about how Howl got to Ingary! Seriously, I have to keep on guessing? Okay, then, it's not like I have a choice.
I loved this book so much, Charmain was such a delight, I easily recognized myself in her love of books although I only wish I'd been that determined as her. And how I wish I shared her fate, that of being a witch I mean. Her character was beautifully writter, so was Peter and every
Majo
Ultimo libro en la saga de Howl... lo cual es una lástima porque uno nunca se cansa de este mago y sus ocurrentes ideas.

La protagonista de este libro es Charmain Baker... alguien totalmente odioso. Una inútil, vaga y consentida niña que no sabe hacer nada y tampoco tiene intención de aprender a hacerlo. Creo que solamente hacia finales del libro logre que me cayera más o menos bien, pero no tanto.
Peter, el joven aprendiz del mago, a pesar de ser torpe siempre esta esforzándose por hacer las cosa
Sean DeLauder
Feb 19, 2014 Sean DeLauder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dw-jones
Boy, I really wanted to enjoy this. Those four stars are derived primarily from the fact that Mrs. Jones' storytelling ability held my attention for a full 400 pages despite reveling in every moment where the snooty main character was put in her place. There's also the pleasure that comes from seeing Sophie, Howl, and Calcifer reappear for an extended period.

As with the previous book in the series, Castle in the Air, there is a prolonged run-up to the climactic scene, followed by an abrupt and a
WHAT HAPPENED TO MICHAEL????!!!!????? 3 18 Mar 09, 2016 01:40PM
Can I read it and skip the second one? 10 87 Sep 07, 2015 07:03PM
Purple Elephants ...: House of Many Ways (August 2015) 5 7 Aug 17, 2015 12:51PM
2015 Reading Chal...: House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones 1 11 Aug 03, 2015 02:39PM
Kobo eBook Availability 1 6 Jun 15, 2012 01:48PM
Can I read it and skip the second one? 3 21 Jun 05, 2012 05:03AM
Read-along: House of Many Ways 10 16 Jan 10, 2012 04:50AM
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • The Hounds of the Mórrígan
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards, #9)
  • The Changeover
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)

“All she heard next of the strange conversation behind the sofa was Mrs. Pendragon saying something about sending Twinkle (or was his name Howl?) to bed without supper and Twinkle daring her to 'jutht TRY it.” 93 likes
“Sophie said a bad word. In the dim light she had stubbed her toe on one of the many dusty bricks piled around the place.
Naughty-naughty" Twinkle said.
Oh shut up!" Sophie said , standing on one leg to hold her toe. "Why don't you grow up?”
74 likes