Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #10)

Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #10)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Published June 1st 2004 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2003)

Anthony Bopp
I've never read a Nancy Drew mystery, but I imagine this must be pretty similar. Something written by someone who doesn't write particularly well, and for people who read even worse.

The author attempts to serve up a Murder She Wrote type of mystery, but the book lacks anything of interest to make us care about it. The characters have no more depth than the ink on the page, and there is no requisite charm that is the hallmark of the better examples of this genre.

The lead character is a plucky mi...more
Julie
This was my first time reading any of Meier's books. I'm so glad I did. I hesitated before reading this book because I always try to read a series in order. After reading other posts about this series, I decided I'd just jump in and try it. Well worth it!

Meier has a fluid writing skill that makes the reader forget they are reading. The story itself was just what I was ready to read this weekend. So appropriate......for Father's Day weekend. My husband said, "Thanks a lot!". The story was captiv...more
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone gets an opportunity to attend a newspaper conference in Boston. She is a little concerned about leaving the family, but her husband encourages her to go saying they can manage a week without her. She leaves, but is worried about the preparations for Father's Day that are now in her children's hands. Father's Day is a big celebration at their house and it must be done right.
Once at the conference, she finds that being alone isn't all it's cracked up to be. But, she meets many people an...more
Kin
Sometimes, judging a book by how good it is depends on the relief you feel after finishing the book… If it’s a relief that all the hero/heroine’s struggles ended… It’s good because you did care for the character. If you don’t feel relief at all, then it’s good and the story haunts you. If you wish it didn’t end and it still have a sequel, then that was a really nice book. But if you’re so relieved because you finished it, damn. That was a waste of time…
I’m so sorry, Ms. Meier… But I’m not really...more
Amy
Isn't it curious how there always seems to be a murder to solve? This time, it didn't happen in Tinker's Cove, but in Boston during a newspaper conference, where Lucy Stone received a reward for investigative reporting. I was able to figure out whodunit before she did. It really wasn't that hard. Even so, I can't help but like her, glad she made it home in time for Father's Day.
Luffy Monkey D.
As the book declares, the setting for the story made for a reflection on the seamy side of people. I can't believe I'm writing it, but this book just...just might, be better than Birthday Party Murder. It's as if the former was written pertinently for me. Each passage lasted exactly the required length, and the setting changed accordingly, coincidentally when my mind would start to tap its foot impatiently. There was not one single wasted word. The setting for this book was very different from...more
Mom
When her part-time reporting gig gives Lucy the opportunity to attend a Boston newspaper conference, she looks forward to the vacation from domestic bliss. But upon leaving Tinker’s Cove, she quickly discovers that alone time can be kind of…lonely. And in between libel workshops and panel discussions, Lucy takes a guilt trip. She feels terrible that she won’t be home to help her husband celebrate Father’s Day.

But when Luther Read—head of a nearly bankrupt newspaper dynasty—suddenly drops dead, L...more
Andrea
Another suspenseful murder mystery from the pen of Leslie Meier. This particular story finds mother of four, amateur detective and full-time reporter Lucy Stone heading off to Boston for a newspaper conference. Once again she finds herself in the middle of a murder! This time it is a newspaper mogul who is pronounced dead at the conference. Will Lucy arrive safe and sound back in Tinker's Cove in time to prepare Father's Day breakfast for her husband Bill? many twists and turns along the way. A...more
Kj
May 28, 2013 Kj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: meier
This is the best one so far in the series. Lucy was not constantly complaining about her kids or husband. Yes she did show concern since she was away but not overboard like in the other books. She did not do a lot of investigating but I am beginning to think that is not necessary to enjoy the books. I cannot give it a 5star rating because the books are not polished as they seem slapped together & eventually the murderer gets caught, however they are easily read and fun.
Mary
I noticed while reading this book many edits that were missed. The one that stays with me is that "The antique shore door was propped open." I guess her editor is getting tired of her liberal views coming through her writing.
Lindsay
I've tried reading this book before and have always found it boring, but since I'm trying to read the whole series, I thought I'd give it another try. It was still boring. But short. Definitely not her best.
Mary Newcomb
Lucy Stone wins a prize and gets to go to a newspaper conference in Boston. Oh, and she stumbles upon and sort of solves a murder. It is nice to see how this series and the Stone family has matured.
Joann
The sleuth is a working mom who goes to a newspaper conference in Boston. Liked the character but not the other characters other than her family members who sounded like normal, troublesome kids..
Fmorlan
Lucy Stone attends a conference in Boston. She has won an award for her writng. She gets involved in an investigation when the honoree is murdered.
Patty
One of the better stories in this series. I liked how Lucy was able to incorporate her job as an investigative reporter into solving a murder.
Janet
Glad to see Lucy was able to get away from home for a while. Enjoy this on alot. I thought the writing in this was really good.
Ali
This one was really boring, and it was SO obvious who the killer was as soon as the character was introduced.
Jim Sampson
I enjoy this series. This one centers arounds fathers day but lucy is not in tinkers cove this time. Fun and nice read.
Lisa
Again, another great Meier murder mystery. I love her characters and watching them grow up through the series.
Sandi
Another fun rrad As I read each book by this author, I find each plot fressh, even with the same characters.
Andrea
Another great Lucy Stone mystery! I liked this one because it took place at a newspaper convention.
Another good Lucy Stone mystery. I enjoy these books and they are quick reads.
Kenna
i liked it but it did seem to drag compared to the rest of her books.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) by Leslie Meier (2004)
Carol Hassett
the 10th Lucy Stone mystery and probably my least favorite so far
Ronnie
Nice to see Lucy away from Tinker's Cove.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy mystery set in a small Maine town.
valpal
Nov 13, 2007 valpal rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: cosy lovers
a nice quick cosy murder mystery
John
was a very slow book would not read it.
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #18)
  • Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...
Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #1) Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13) Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3) Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #2) Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)