Start by marking “Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)

Father's Day Murder (Lucy Stone #10)

When her part-time reporting gig gives Lucy the opportunity to attend a Boston newspaper conference, she looks forward to the vacation from domestic bliss. But upon leaving Tinker’s Cove, she quickly discovers that alone time can be kind of…lonely. And in between libel workshops and panel discussions, Lucy takes a guilt trip. She feels terrible that she won’t be home to he ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Father's Day Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father's Day Murder

Linda
A well-written cozy mystery fraught with murders and mayhem!

The lights were turned off and the film began to roll. It was eerie, thought Lucy, watching the images of Luther Read flicking across the screen. Maybe he was dead or maybe he was fighting for his life, but in the darkened room he was an enormous, living presence.
Then the film ended. The final image of Luther Read’s smiling face had hardly faded when the announcement came.
“Luther Read, our Newspaperman of the Year, is dead.”
That w
Kin
Sep 16, 2013 Kin rated it it was ok
Sometimes, judging a book by how good it is depends on the relief you feel after finishing the book… If it’s a relief that all the hero/heroine’s struggles ended… It’s good because you did care for the character. If you don’t feel relief at all, then it’s good and the story haunts you. If you wish it didn’t end and it still have a sequel, then that was a really nice book. But if you’re so relieved because you finished it, damn. That was a waste of time…
I’m so sorry, Ms. Meier… But I’m not really
Tabby Kat
May 15, 2008 Tabby Kat rated it really liked it
Lucy Stone gets an opportunity to attend a newspaper conference in Boston. She is a little concerned about leaving the family, but her husband encourages her to go saying they can manage a week without her. She leaves, but is worried about the preparations for Father's Day that are now in her children's hands. Father's Day is a big celebration at their house and it must be done right.
Once at the conference, she finds that being alone isn't all it's cracked up to be. But, she meets many people an
Julie
Sep 27, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, e-book
This was my first time reading any of Meier's books. I'm so glad I did. I hesitated before reading this book because I always try to read a series in order. After reading other posts about this series, I decided I'd just jump in and try it. Well worth it!

Meier has a fluid writing skill that makes the reader forget they are reading. The story itself was just what I was ready to read this weekend. So appropriate......for Father's Day weekend. My husband said, "Thanks a lot!". The story was captiv
Amy
Jan 19, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Isn't it curious how there always seems to be a murder to solve? This time, it didn't happen in Tinker's Cove, but in Boston during a newspaper conference, where Lucy Stone received a reward for investigative reporting. I was able to figure out whodunit before she did. It really wasn't that hard. Even so, I can't help but like her, glad she made it home in time for Father's Day.
Peter Barr
Feb 17, 2017 Peter Barr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this, the tenth mystery in the series by Leslie Meier, Lucy Stone leaves her husband and four children in Tinker's Cove, ME for a week at a newspaper convention in Boston. There is a murder while there and between looking into the murder, the convention and trying to keep tabs on her family at home, Lucy Stone's week is quite eventful.
Heidi Burkhart
Nov 12, 2016 Heidi Burkhart rated it really liked it
Meier has a way of making you feel that Lucy, her main character could be your neighbor. I like the folksy mood that she creates. I enjoyed this mystery.
Susan
Nov 22, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Father's Day Murder by Leslie Meier Note: Even though this is Book 10 in the series, it worked just fine as a stand alone novel.
Susan

Lucy Stone works part time at The Penny Saver newspaper in Tinker’s Cove, Maine and her boss, Tom, wants her to attend a newspaper conference in Boston. She’s very excited to be getting a week away to the big city, but she’s worried that her family won’t be able to manage without her. While in Boston, a death livens up the boring conference panels and Lucy finds herself far more interested in investigatin
Paula
Sep 09, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
Lucy is going to attend a convention for newspaper people in Boston with Ted, her boss. She feels bad about leaving the family but thinks it will be good to get away. While at the convention, a big shot newspaper owner is murdered and of course Lucy wants the story.

I enjoy reading these, and reading about Lucy and her family and trying to juggle work as well.
Karen B.
Jun 17, 2016 Karen B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten in the habit now of reading a Lucy Stone book on a holiday, if there is one for that holiday.
Because I don't read the books in chronological order, Lucy's family members are always at different ages in each one. In this volume, Lucy's boss asks Lucy to attend a newspaper convention in Boston which will be the week leading up to Father's Day. Lucy's husband expects a big celebration each Father's Day so she has to make sure the children have everything ready.
While at the convention, t
Luffy
Mar 09, 2014 Luffy rated it it was amazing
As the book declares, the setting for the story made for a reflection on the seamy side of people. I can't believe I'm writing it, but this book just...just might, be better than Birthday Party Murder. It's as if the former was written pertinently for me. Each passage lasted exactly the required length, and the setting changed accordingly, coincidentally when my mind would start to tap its foot impatiently. There was not one single wasted word. The setting for this book was very different from ...more
Catherine
Feb 25, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I really could not put this book down! When her part-time reporting gig gives Lucy the opportunity to attend a Boston newspaper conference she looks forward to the vacation from domestic bliss. But upon leaving Tinker's Cove, she quickly discovers that alone time can be kind of well lonely. And in between libel workshops and panel discussions, Lucy takes a guilt trip. She feels terrible that she won't be home to help her husband celebrate Father's Day. The festivities and Bill's Bloody Mary are ...more
ChrisGA
Apr 21, 2014 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-read-2014
Lucy Stone is one of my favorite characters in cozy mystery. She is a little frumpy, a little obsessed with her kids, at times irked by her husband and her newspaper editor boss, and always in need of a little more time in her day. Here she gets to go to Boston to a newspaper convention, and she relishes a little me-time, misses and worries about her family back home, and feels a little intimidated by more fashionable attendees---all feelings I could relate to. However, Lucy is present when yet ...more
Andrea
Another suspenseful murder mystery from the pen of Leslie Meier. This particular story finds mother of four, amateur detective and full-time reporter Lucy Stone heading off to Boston for a newspaper conference. Once again she finds herself in the middle of a murder! This time it is a newspaper mogul who is pronounced dead at the conference. Will Lucy arrive safe and sound back in Tinker's Cove in time to prepare Father's Day breakfast for her husband Bill? many twists and turns along the way. A ...more
Kim j
Oct 15, 2012 Kim j rated it really liked it
Shelves: meier
This is the best one so far in the series. Lucy was not constantly complaining about her kids or husband. Yes she did show concern since she was away but not overboard like in the other books. She did not do a lot of investigating but I am beginning to think that is not necessary to enjoy the books. I cannot give it a 5star rating because the books are not polished as they seem slapped together & eventually the murderer gets caught, however they are easily read and fun.
Gary E
Feb 19, 2016 Gary E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book in an enjoyable series

I really do not have a lot to say about this one we are at book 10 on the series and if you are reading these in order I Amauri you are not going to stop no matter what anyone else says.

This book is up to the usual standards . . . just a fun book in an enjoyable series!
Sparkle
Mar 05, 2016 Sparkle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I chose to read this while at home sick because the familiarity of Tinkers Cove always brings comfort... this one is not in Tinkers
Cove but instead in Boston. Lucy is on a trip with the boss Ted to receive an award and to attend workshops. The mystery is good, kept me guessing, but I missed the familiar faces. Ted is not one of my favorite characters.
Sandra
Sep 12, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
Not my favourite book in this series. First the title rally had nothing to do with the mystery. Then there was far more information about Boston than I ever wanted to know.

The home situation was wrapped up a bit too neatly, in my opinion.
Mary Newcomb
Lucy Stone wins a prize and gets to go to a newspaper conference in Boston. Oh, and she stumbles upon and sort of solves a murder. It is nice to see how this series and the Stone family has matured.
Angela
Feb 16, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
Different than the other Lucy Stone books but enjoyed it. Really didn't see the big reveal on who the killer was coming. Also found it strange that Elizabeth went back to the job she hated the previous summer. Plan to keep reading the rest of the Lucy Stone novels.
Lindsay
Jan 20, 2013 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've tried reading this book before and have always found it boring, but since I'm trying to read the whole series, I thought I'd give it another try. It was still boring. But short. Definitely not her best.
Mary
Jul 21, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
I noticed while reading this book many edits that were missed. The one that stays with me is that "The antique shore door was propped open." I guess her editor is getting tired of her liberal views coming through her writing.
Donna Redmayne
Jan 18, 2015 Donna Redmayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Stone rocks!!

A good read, as usual, Lucy Stone mysteries always deliver. If you start with #1 and read thru the series you feel like one of the family, watching the Stone kids grow up and Lucy mature as an investigative reporter & mom.
Linda
Oct 24, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Lucy finally gets out of Tinker's Cove to attend a newspaper convention in Boston. There is, of course, a murder, but Lucy's involvement is more realistic than in some of the recent books. Missed some of the usual family drama, but the interesting Boston details were a nice touch.
Beverly
Feb 05, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series although of all of them I've read, this is perhaps my least favorite. Lucy was away from at a newspaper convention for almost the entire book and one of the things I really enjoy about the series is Tinker's Cove and all it's folks. You just didn't get that in this one.
lescee mills
Jan 03, 2016 lescee mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a treat of a book!

The characters are developed enough to leave spontaneity and intrigue. The story was woven prefect :) and I would recommend her books to anyone who enjoys a great series.
Pat
Oct 06, 2014 Pat rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Journalist/mother from Maine goes to Boston for newspaper conference. Solves a murder there during the week.
OK, cute.
Sandi
Apr 07, 2012 Sandi rated it really liked it
Another fun rrad As I read each book by this author, I find each plot fressh, even with the same characters.
Joann
Oct 28, 2010 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sleuth is a working mom who goes to a newspaper conference in Boston. Liked the character but not the other characters other than her family members who sounded like normal, troublesome kids..
  • Suture Self (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #17)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery, #14)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)

“It was the eternal conundrum. Time passed too slowly, and then it was over too quickly. Hurry up and die.” 1 likes
“As she dressed that night, Lucy remembered Catherine’s words: “If it’s true, it isn’t libel.” 0 likes