Start by marking “A Gift of Wings” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Wings

A Gift of Wings

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,528 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Once in a generation a book, a vision, a writer, capture the imaginationand emotions of millions. JonathanLivingston Seagull was such a book. Richard Bach's unique vision again shines forth, touching with magic the drama of life in all its limitless horizons. Once again Richard Bach has written a masterpiece to help you touch that part of your homethat is the sky. ...more
Published October 2nd 1989 by Dell (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Wings

John Mahon
Jun 06, 2012 John Mahon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories that Richard had published in Flying Magazine. I bought my (first ) copy on my 18th birthday. It gave the strength to believe in my dream of becoming a pilot. Some of the stories are brilliant in their simplicity, and depth. It might be a little too technical in places. Highly recommended.
Tom Fowler
Sep 05, 2009 Tom Fowler rated it it was amazing
I love everything Bach wrote. Don't always agree with his theology, but do his imagery.
Rick
May 25, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent compilation of the wide variety of Bach's capabilities as an aviation author. These short stories entertain and educate as well as give insight to the mind of the writer. Bach to me is comparable to earlier aviation authors along the St. Exupery or Anne Lindbergh genre. It's an easy read as most stories are short, some too much so. Bach has the ability to draw his reader in to his story and sometimes leaves them wanting more when he ends them.
Vogon
Sep 27, 2012 Vogon rated it it was amazing
I have just put my my recent reading of this book in here but I have read this book a number of times. Every time I read it I am inspired. It brings out the joy and agony of flight so beautifully that I have a nostalgia for something I have never experienced before. Once, based on this book, I took an introductory flight on a small Cessna 172. It was beautiful and moving - much like this book is. I am sure I will read it again within the next five years.
Terimila
Mar 07, 2012 Terimila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my_own
Before I started reading this book, it had NEVER happened to me that I would feel that someone expresses my real and secret thoughts and feelings better than I do by myself. Now I know it's possible. And it's wonderful to see that not only I am a crazy dreamer who's in love with flying, but also a very experienced pilot feels something similar. I am lost for words about this book.
Maija
Feb 08, 2012 Maija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book. It's inspiring and allows to fly up in the sky every time I open it.
Camila N.
3 1/2 stars

This book is not for everyone.

I start with this because I'm seeing a lot of five stars reviews and they probably come for a lot of people who love flying.

I love flying too. I studied to be a flight attendant (among other things) because my view is not so great as to fly for a living (although I still want to pursue that pilot license), but I recognize that this book doesn't have much to do with Illusions and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It is a collection of short stories that were p
Amber
Review posted on my blog http://thewriterslibrary.blogspot.com

I am no pilot. I don't know about fuel gauges, aviation, airports, or turbulence. I'm not a mechanic. Nuts and bolts are just objects to me; meaningless objects. Yet somehow this book grabbed me and refused to let me go until I'd finished.
A collection of very nice short stories indeed. Some I liked more than others. Some were just so philosophical I automatically understood and loved them ("Letters from a God-fearing Man"). It's not
Summer Houston
May 19, 2011 Summer Houston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

This is great for anyone that loves flying. Bach takes you into the clouds with every detail of the pilots control. Places and scenes you'll never come to know until you've been behind the controls. Adventure in the open skies.
Caroline
Feb 15, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm stunned to find out how much of my life has been based on Richard Bach's writings - I guess I could do worse.
Kari Phillips
Mar 19, 2008 Kari Phillips rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for those who love Richard Bach's writing
Recommended to Kari by: Mom, of course
...makes me homesick for wind and sky ...
Rick Kuehn
Dec 29, 2012 Rick Kuehn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for any pilot.
Usama Tariq
Oct 09, 2014 Usama Tariq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring... <3
TSEliot
i learned to fly
Sebastjan
Jan 13, 2014 Sebastjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enkrat v generaciji knjiga, vizija ali pisatelj ujamejo domišljijo in čustva milijonov ljudi. Takšna knjiga je Jonathan Livingston Galeb.

Enkratna vizija Richarda Bacha nas v Podarjenih krilih zopet obseva, dotika se nas z magijo drame življenja, v vsej svoji neomejenosti horizontov. Ponovno je Richard Bach napisal mojstrovino, ki nam pomaga dotakniti se neba, ki je naš dom.

=====================================
Moji najboljši papirnati otroci so zbrani tu. Rešil sem jih izpod kupa zavržene šare, r
Chris Amies
Nov 23, 2015 Chris Amies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories and observations that carried me through my late teens. I used to cycle to the airfield nearby and watch the small planes fly away and come back. For all I know there was a cat by the runway. I did my first (glider) solo the day after I left school. It was that kind of time.
Aaron Benarroch
Se percibe en cada frase la profunda pasión del autor por el vuelo. Yo no soy tan friki en cuanto a aeroplanos y mecánica, por lo cual este libro me ha parecido más bien pesado. En lo que me apasiona, probablemente a la hora de comunicarlo a los demás soy tana aburrido como él ;-)
Martyspringsteen98
Che dire? L'ho preso pensando di trovare un noioso diario di bordo, un manuale di istruzioni di aeroplani dei quali non sapevo nemmeno il nome...invece ho trovato la risposta a tanti dubbi esistenziali risolti con la semplicità che solo Richard Bach sa usare. È un'autobiografia redatta in racconti e alcuni di questi li ami, altri li odi, alcuni non li capisci, mentre in altri ti ritrovi benissimo manco ti avessero letto nel pensiero...insomma è un libro dannatamente umano...da leggere!
RTengdin
Jan 06, 2016 RTengdin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful meditation on flying... The stories of the Pirate, Cat, and barnstorming will stay with you.
Gordon Gravley
Aug 31, 2014 Gordon Gravley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying collection of stories about flying, filled with non-preachy life lessons.
Kathy Govreau
Feb 14, 2015 Kathy Govreau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of his books. I read this one many years ago.
Arwen
Nov 27, 2015 Arwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó este libro, tiene cuentos hermosos.... Ya haré una reseña en mi blog..
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it
About flight.
Angela
Aug 18, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't nearly as metaphysical as Bach's other books. Instead, it focused on flying - "A Gift of Wings" is pretty literal! I read this simple, heartfelt book about flying while I was working at a small airport and learning how to fly. It was a pretty powerful combination. How would it stand up? I have no idea.
Tony Hoft
Sep 09, 2013 Tony Hoft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I located the dusty paperback after all these years.
I read this book so long ago, after Jonathan Livingstone Seagull and Illusions by the same author. All I remember is that I enjoyed A Gift of Wings so much, I didn't want it to end. Now that I have it in hand after twenty years, time to read it again.
Stuart Kelly
Apr 03, 2012 Stuart Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago and I loved it. It's a collection of short stories all to do with aviation. Bach's love of flying and of aeroplanes shines out of the pages and inspires. Even after all the years hied prose has the power to enable me to mentally 'slip the surly bonds of earth'.
Richard
Apr 13, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book to read and re-read. Although not a flier myself, I was immersed in aviation as an aircraft mechanic in my early years and Richard Bach helps me to reconnect with that wonderful world of flying.
Beedo180
Jun 20, 2013 Beedo180 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of short stories spanning both the theological and technical aspects of aviation. "Found At Pharisee" sticks in my recollections as a standout.
Jack
Nov 20, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories for the adventuring introspective reader. Simple stories that take you to surprising places. Neat!
Andy
May 03, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of SHORT stories...maybe skits is a better word. Many are 3 pages. Some as many as 9 pages. I liked some, I dis-liked others.
  • Fate Is the Hunter
  • Piled Higher and Deeper: A Graduate Student Comic Strip Collection
  • First Light
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • The Case Of The Screaming Woman (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Forever Flying
  • The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace
  • Common Nonsense
  • Ararat
  • Fools' Experiments
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand

Since Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which dominated the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller List for two consecutive years - Richard Bach has touched millions of people through his humor, wisdom and insight.

With over 60 million copies of his books sold, Richard Bach remains one of the world's most beloved authors. A former USAF fighter pilot, Air Force captain and latter-day barnstorm
More about Richard Bach...

“And like no other sculpture in the history of art, the dead engine and dead airframe come to life at the touch of a human hand, and join their life with the pilot's own.” 9 likes
“Time means nothing.Time is just the way we measure the gaps between not knowing something and knowing it or not doing something and doing it.” 1 likes