Start by marking “Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend” as Want to Read:
Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,984 ratings  ·  165 reviews
The author of the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Bridges of Madison County once again brings characters and situations with his special blend of lyricism and magic. This is a bittersweet story about two good people who discover that true love, when it comes, is rarely fair, or right--or without pain.
197 pages
Published 1994 (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

Outlander by Diana GabaldonGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellRedeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaught
The Best of the Best Romance Novels of the Twentieth Century
260th out of 628 books — 1,681 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorBilly Elliot by Melvin BurgessJezebel by Koko BrownThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna MayerSave Me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald
Dancing
87th out of 100 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachi
Boring in so many ways oh my god. The story was a cliché, the characters didn't have any personality or whatsoever, the plot was predictable. And those times when there was some subtle sex were boring and mood breaking. I mean I was reading "she couldn't stop thinking about him..." and then BAM "and how much she'd like to press her bare breasts against him". Oh please!
I read it fast because I didn't wanted to sacrifice more of my time with this.
Tonjia Atomic
Anne
I'm making an effort to read some of the books that I've accumulated from other people over the years, things that I wouldn't normally read. This was one of those books. There were several things to dislike about it, for me.

First, it's a romance about adultery. What is Waller's deal with this? I don't get it. Why does he keep trying to make adultery okay? Jimmy Braden was kind of boring but, it's not like he was abusive or an a-hole.

Second, what attracted these two people to each other? I never
William Galaini
When evaluated and weighed deeply after completing it, Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend is surprisingly forgettable. This is a very average book that honestly offers little except for a few manipulative moments that grasp at the reader's emotions. It is almost coldly produced; a book targeting a specific demographic with the intention of "gosh, they'll love this" that is far too obvious to be effective.

Forbidden love, middle-aged cowboy/professor, heavy handed romantic settings, a deep, dark secret, a r
Debbie
Another winner from author Robert James Waller

Every since I read Bridges of Madison County by this author and fell completely in love with his writing style and the delivery and reality of his characters I've been itching to read more. He's written quite a few books and I didn't care which I picked up, I just wanted to read them all. I happened to run across this during one of many bookstore raids. I practically snatched it off the shelf and held it to my chest as if securing it from the envio
Mary
Oct 17, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Michael Tillman wasn't a foolish young man, rushing off in pursuit of intangible dreams. He was a down-to-earth, middle-aged, maverick economics professor who still rode a motorcycle that he'd had since he was a teenager. He also never believed in love at first sight, or at least he hadn't until he laid eyes on her...the woman of his dreams.

Her name was Jellie Braden and she was the wife of one of Michael's colleagues, someone who he met at a university in Cedar Bend, Iowa. It was actually mutua
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*

Life is a messy business, full of bad choices and I-wish-I-could-take-it-backs, but that's life.

Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend is about a man named Michael who finds himself drawn to his co-worker and friend's wife. Chaos insues.

(Now I feel I must say that I am what they call a serial monogamist. You make a choice and stick with it or you don't and you get out.
Harsh, it's true, but I believe it. That being said that is my belief and just as I don't think you should push religious beliefs on others
Heidi
As a book hoarder, I have collected and read way too many novels. This is the first one that I put in the goodwill bin. It was so incredibly bad. The writing was cliche, the plot predictable, the sex references disjointed and sloppy, the whole love affair in general uninspired. Plot holes showed up throughout, and the characters were simply blah. I only finished it because it was mercilessly short, and I'm a bit hardheaded about finishing books. I read and enjoyed Bridges of Madison County when ...more
Lucia
May 06, 2007 Lucia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love romance and a strong love for motorcycle men
I have read this book and listened to this book so many times. I try to reconnect to it at least once a year as I have a great fondness for the way Robert James Waller puts words together on a page. Others may find him too descriptive, but I like to be able to feel that kiss on the back of my neck. . . It's not just smut, there is a good storyline, too.
Anjar
mmm... i thought, since The Bridge of Madison County earned an Oscar, this could lead into something similar, but... I found it quite boring from the 2/3 till the end. it's so typical a cheesy love story, I think? and then again, the Oscar went to Meryll Streep for her acts, not the story, or is it not?
Pat Stearman
ahhh RJW - love the writing and atmosphere
Nicci
What is it with infidelity that makes us want to read about it. I was unsuccessful in reading this book because I quickly grew weary of the main character lusting after another man's wife.
Jean
Yawn. Bridges of Madison County with different characters. And what is it with this guy who finds such passion in writing about marital affairs?? Move on...
Kelly Crosgrove Sullivan Bredon
Love RJW's writing style, very descriptive, economic bend to it, along with some romance and travel to India .... Perfect book for me!
Shea
This book was lying around years ago, I picked it thinking what the heck..I ended up loving it! Sweet little romance!
Maria Matthews
Loved it, the setting was different, India and america but it was rich in description and strong on characters.
Michelle
Loved how he incorporated Robert Kincaide. Great story.
Windy
Overall, just a stupid book.
Emily
Waller likes to justify adultery. The theme of both Bridges of Madison County and this novel is the dissatisfaction and stultification that sometimes a woman has in her marriage. Then, a more strong and exciting man comes along to 'awaken' her. These books probably serve as wish fulfillment for women in similar situations who would never dream of doing what Waller's heroines do. I don't approve of the theme, but the writing is evocative and descriptive, raising my rating of the book as a whole b ...more
Ape
Melissa Lee-tammeus
Well, who didn't love the movie Brides of Madison County? I certainly did. So, when I saw this was a novel by the same author, I snatched it up hoping for the same feel of that first romance of Waller's. Unfortunately, no such luck. These characters, as much as they were made to seem multi-layered, came off as hurried, one dimensional characters that somehow, we, as readers, were expected to fall in love with immediately. I had the most difficult time even picturing these characters which seemed ...more
Carol
A "fluff" romance compared to the more complex books I've been reading.
A mid-western Professor falls hard for the wife of one of his colleagues. She falls hard for him too. They fight it; they give in to passion. She goes far, far away. Her husband says he can't go find her because of his teaching schedule. Her would be partner follows her to India. Michael guesses where she might be and starts looking for her among India's dense population. Guess he'll probably find her. He has to or this book
Yensy
Anish Antony
" The Trivandrum Mail was on time.It came out of the Jungle and pounded into Villupuram Junction......in south India... " - the novel begins like this. And the first sentence arouse my curiosity to read the book, as I am from South India. To be precise, from Kerala. Why an American Author preferred my land as an inception for his story?.. And this spark ignited my mind engine to read 'Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend'.
I have been reading this novel in morning after my routines. And most of the days it
P
A college professor is obsessed with a colleague's wife, they sleep together, she leaves her husband and goes to India. The new love follows her, discovers her secrets, they return home together, she leaves her husband and moves in with the new love. I'm glad the book was short because the story line was annoying from the point of view of the devastation caused by two emotionally deficit people which the author tried to paint as something beautiful.
Mera Buford
Jan 21, 2014 Mera Buford rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mera by: I found the cassettes at yard sale
The same author as the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Bridges of Madison County. But this time he didn't bring his special blend of lyricism and magic. This is a bittersweet story about a man who was very rough in speech and toward this woman.

It was narrated by the author, with a nonchalant voice and canter, who left me with the feeling that if he doesn't care to put something behind his reading, why should I care about the outcome.

I was swimming upstream so much that I didn't finish
Edna
Dawn Michelle

Meh.

A friend reading another on of his books reminded me that I had read this one and the other one after TBoMC,which I had loved. These, not so much.
That moment where you do not even remember what the story was about, just that you had disliked it IMMENSELY is what happened when my friend mentioned the author's name.

MEH!
Phyllis Belden
I nice quick read. Good for when you want to read something that doesn't require too much thinking. The characters were enjoyable. I liked the protagonist, Michael. He's an intelligent joker and pain in the ass. I liked the collegiate setting of the book and the smart dialogue. Even though it's an easy read, you don't feel like it's dumbing down your brain.
Sydney
May 21, 2008 Sydney rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks Fans
Recommended to Sydney by: Pat Gohring
Shelves: chick-lit
  • So Happy Together
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Eden Burning
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Errands
  • Random Hearts
  • The White Widow
  • His Other Wife
  • The Desert Crop
Robert James Waller is an American author also known for his work as a photographer and musician. Several of his books have been on the New York Times bestseller list including 1992's The Bridges of Madison County, which was the top best-seller in 1993. Both that novel and his 1995 novel, Puerto Vallarta Squeeze, have been made into motion pictures. Waller currently resides in Texas.
More about Robert James Waller...
The Bridges of Madison County A Thousand Country Roads Border Music Old Songs in a New Cafe: Selected Essays Puerto Vallarta Squeeze

“People mistake shyness and reclusiveness- both of those- for arrogance. It's a convenient label slapped on by those who see only the surface of things and nothing more.” 2 likes