Start by marking “Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend” as Want to Read:
Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

3.18  ·  Rating Details ·  2,320 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
The author of the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Bridges of Madison County once again brings characters and situations with his special blend of lyricism and magic. This is a bittersweet story about two good people who discover that true love, when it comes, is rarely fair, or right--or without pain.
197 pages
Published 1994 (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend

May 06, 2007 Lucia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love romance and a strong love for motorcycle men
I have read this book and listened to this book so many times. I try to reconnect to it at least once a year as I have a great fondness for the way Robert James Waller puts words together on a page. Others may find him too descriptive, but I like to be able to feel that kiss on the back of my neck. . . It's not just smut, there is a good storyline, too.
May 21, 2008 Sydney rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks Fans
Recommended to Sydney by: Pat Gohring
Shelves: chick-lit
Tonjia Atomic
Mar 25, 2008 Tonjia Atomic rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2008 Nicci rated it did not like it
What is it with infidelity that makes us want to read about it. I was unsuccessful in reading this book because I quickly grew weary of the main character lusting after another man's wife.
Mar 28, 2009 Windy rated it did not like it
Overall, just a stupid book.
Apr 09, 2010 Carol rated it did not like it
A "fluff" romance compared to the more complex books I've been reading.
A mid-western Professor falls hard for the wife of one of his colleagues. She falls hard for him too. They fight it; they give in to passion. She goes far, far away. Her husband says he can't go find her because of his teaching schedule. Her would be partner follows her to India. Michael guesses where she might be and starts looking for her among India's dense population. Guess he'll probably find her. He has to or this book
Dec 10, 2014 Ape rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2011 Anjar rated it it was ok
mmm... i thought, since The Bridge of Madison County earned an Oscar, this could lead into something similar, but... I found it quite boring from the 2/3 till the end. it's so typical a cheesy love story, I think? and then again, the Oscar went to Meryll Streep for her acts, not the story, or is it not?
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Well, who didn't love the movie Brides of Madison County? I certainly did. So, when I saw this was a novel by the same author, I snatched it up hoping for the same feel of that first romance of Waller's. Unfortunately, no such luck. These characters, as much as they were made to seem multi-layered, came off as hurried, one dimensional characters that somehow, we, as readers, were expected to fall in love with immediately. I had the most difficult time even picturing these characters which seemed ...more
Dec 10, 2011 Jean rated it it was ok
Yawn. Bridges of Madison County with different characters. And what is it with this guy who finds such passion in writing about marital affairs?? Move on...
Aug 30, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was ok

First book from this author, I was not fussed on this book. Apart from the fact I found it hard to delve into, I just didn't overly enjoy the read. I think from curiosity I will read The Bridges of Madison County though.
May 24, 2014 Yensy rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013 Rachi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Boring in so many ways oh my god. The story was a cliché, the characters didn't have any personality or whatsoever, the plot was predictable. And those times when there was some subtle sex were boring and mood breaking. I mean I was reading "she couldn't stop thinking about him..." and then BAM "and how much she'd like to press her bare breasts against him". Oh please!
I read it fast because I didn't wanted to sacrifice more of my time with this.
William Galaini
May 23, 2013 William Galaini rated it it was ok
When evaluated and weighed deeply after completing it, Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend is surprisingly forgettable. This is a very average book that honestly offers little except for a few manipulative moments that grasp at the reader's emotions. It is almost coldly produced; a book targeting a specific demographic with the intention of "gosh, they'll love this" that is far too obvious to be effective.

Forbidden love, middle-aged cowboy/professor, heavy handed romantic settings, a deep, dark secret, a r
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

Life is a messy business, full of bad choices and I-wish-I-could-take-it-backs, but that's life.

Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend is about a man named Michael who finds himself drawn to his co-worker and friend's wife. Chaos insues.

(Now I feel I must say that I am what they call a serial monogamist. You make a choice and stick with it or you don't and you get out.
Harsh, it's true, but I believe it. That being said that is my belief and just as I don't think you should push religious beliefs on others
Maria Matthews
Jun 28, 2013 Maria Matthews rated it it was amazing
Loved it, the setting was different, India and america but it was rich in description and strong on characters.
Jul 09, 2013 Anne rated it did not like it
I'm making an effort to read some of the books that I've accumulated from other people over the years, things that I wouldn't normally read. This was one of those books. There were several things to dislike about it, for me.

First, it's a romance about adultery. What is Waller's deal with this? I don't get it. Why does he keep trying to make adultery okay? Jimmy Braden was kind of boring but, it's not like he was abusive or an a-hole.

Second, what attracted these two people to each other? I never
Anish Antony
" The Trivandrum Mail was on time.It came out of the Jungle and pounded into Villupuram south India... " - the novel begins like this. And the first sentence arouse my curiosity to read the book, as I am from South India. To be precise, from Kerala. Why an American Author preferred my land as an inception for his story?.. And this spark ignited my mind engine to read 'Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend'.
I have been reading this novel in morning after my routines. And most of the days it
Kelly Crosgrove Sullivan Bredon
Love RJW's writing style, very descriptive, economic bend to it, along with some romance and travel to India .... Perfect book for me!
Dec 15, 2013 Shea rated it really liked it
This book was lying around years ago, I picked it thinking what the heck..I ended up loving it! Sweet little romance!
Jan 29, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Loved how he incorporated Robert Kincaide. Great story.
Jul 07, 2014 Heidi rated it did not like it
As a book hoarder, I have collected and read way too many novels. This is the first one that I put in the goodwill bin. It was so incredibly bad. The writing was cliche, the plot predictable, the sex references disjointed and sloppy, the whole love affair in general uninspired. Plot holes showed up throughout, and the characters were simply blah. I only finished it because it was mercilessly short, and I'm a bit hardheaded about finishing books. I read and enjoyed Bridges of Madison County when ...more
Oct 17, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Michael Tillman wasn't a foolish young man, rushing off in pursuit of intangible dreams. He was a down-to-earth, middle-aged, maverick economics professor who still rode a motorcycle that he'd had since he was a teenager. He also never believed in love at first sight, or at least he hadn't until he laid eyes on her...the woman of his dreams.

Her name was Jellie Braden and she was the wife of one of Michael's colleagues, someone who he met at a university in Cedar Bend, Iowa. It was actually mutua
Pat Stearman
Dec 22, 2014 Pat Stearman rated it really liked it
ahhh RJW - love the writing and atmosphere
Jan 18, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from author Robert James Waller

Every since I read Bridges of Madison County by this author and fell completely in love with his writing style and the delivery and reality of his characters I've been itching to read more. He's written quite a few books and I didn't care which I picked up, I just wanted to read them all. I happened to run across this during one of many bookstore raids. I practically snatched it off the shelf and held it to my chest as if securing it from the envi
May 21, 2015 hannonle rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fiction
Bien escrito, pero la historia es bastante plana, nada destacable.
Ben Schroeder
Aug 07, 2015 Ben Schroeder rated it did not like it
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 16, 2016 Lauren Stoolfire rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fiction
A friend of mine recommended this to me shortly after she finished it. She particularly enjoyed it, but unfortunately, I couldn't really get into it. I realized about halfway through that I didn't really care about the characters any more. Plus, it's quite predictable and stereotypical. Even though it is quite short at 197 pages, but it still felt like very little action happened.
Katherine B Kimball
Sep 14, 2016 Katherine B Kimball rated it really liked it
There are some love stories that I really enjoy and this was one of them. With an academic backdrop and characters that I identify with, it was a short satisfying read.
Barbara Ann
Primary character is not that compelling - woman more interesting. Quick read
  • So Happy Together
  • A Little Death
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Come Walk with Me
  • Random Hearts
  • A Ship Made Of Paper
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
Robert James Waller is an American author also known for his work as a photographer and musician. Several of his books have been on the New York Times bestseller list including 1992's The Bridges of Madison County, which was the top best-seller in 1993. Both that novel and his 1995 novel, Puerto Vallarta Squeeze, have been made into motion pictures. Waller currently resides in Texas.
More about Robert James Waller...

“People mistake shyness and reclusiveness- both of those- for arrogance. It's a convenient label slapped on by those who see only the surface of things and nothing more.” 3 likes