Start by marking “Dinner with Friends” as Want to Read:
Dinner with Friends

Dinner with Friends

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,413 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Winner of the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for drama, DINNER WITH FRIENDS examines the lives of two couples and the repercussions of divorce on their friendships. With wit, compassion and consummate skill, playwright Donald Margulies weighs the cost of breaking up and of staying together.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by LA Theatre Works (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner with Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner with Friends

Cherie
I listened to this audio performance this evening. Well done with some real insights about how people and couples react and talk to each other. Funny and heartbreaking with passion on the side!
Amene
یک نمایشنامه ی مدرن و اجتماعی. درباب دو زوج که یکی از آن ها در شرف طلاق است و سپس ادامه ی نمایش باتکیه بر جدایی این دو نفر و اتفاقاتی که زوج دیگر را تحت تاثیر قرار می دهد. همچنین، در زیر مجموعه ی همه ی روابط و همه ی این روایت لایه ی پنهان و تهدید کننده ی دروغ دیده می شود.
Liza Fireman
May 25, 2016 Liza Fireman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-from-shelf
Marriages are complicated, and this play is touching some of the most sensitive points with good humor and lots of drama. About how friends and relationships are forming, but also how fragile they are, and how easily they can get destroyed. What would you do if as a couple, your best friends-couple is separating? Are you going to choose a side? Is there even any other option? Are you going to rethink about how do you treat your friends? Are you going to rethink who are your friends for real?
Grea
Manik Sukoco
Jan 01, 2016 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The euphoric and blissful bubble that a functioning relationship can father is a wonderful thing. When two individuals are linked by common interests, shared ideals and beliefs, nothing in respects to a career, money or fame can come close to it; it is a wonderful, natural high to experience true love. However, what happens when a marriage does not work and the foundation that eventually led to that marriage was an erroneous one? In Dinner With Friends, playwright David Margulies explores just s ...more
Mad Dog
Jul 12, 2010 Mad Dog rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, book-club
This play works well for as a stimulant for conversation or as an evocative little story about the passing of 'friendships'. The losses of 'friendship' (or perhaps the lost opportunity for a real friendship) in this story was sad to me. It makes you think about what really is a friendship and what is just a 'prolonged acquaintance'. It seems like the author is 'poking pins' at superficial friendships among married couples. It is also interesting that the author seems to demonstrate that Tom and ...more
Michelle
I think seeing this as a play would have been better. The intracaticies of 2 couples relationships were laid bare for all to see, for better for worse. Some of it was endearing and some of it very sad. It make me think about what it means to have a successful relationship, what it takes to have one, and more importantly, the variety of definitions of "successful".
Lauren
Oct 21, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
2.5

Whatever it was that earned this play a Pulitzer clearly eluded me.

Yes, there were places where it made me pause to reread the character's thought-provoking words and reflect. And I appreciate the play's candid look at the sacrifices of marriage and family life, sacrifices that those who enter into it blindly or with little consideration fail to recognize until much later when they are faced with insurmountable disappointments or irreconcilable differences and bitterness toward their partner
Sherry (sethurner)
Two sets of friends in their 40s - Gabe and Karen (who love to cook), and Tom and Beth. When one couple splits, there is sadness, anger, alliances are made, rethought. This interesting play has moments of both drama and humor, and it examines just how friendships and marriages are forged, and how they are damaged. Believable characters and thought-provoking dialog.
Jake
Jan 10, 2014 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
This play was fantastic, but it wasn't as jaw-dropping flooring as I anticipated. That's the problem with hype, not with this two-act play. I enjoyed it. The characters were real without being overly polished. There were barely any moments that I rolled my eyes, which happens a lot when I read or see plays. Emotion has to be so abundant with live theater, so even written, it comes off as overly loud. It comes off as presentation, not truth. It's my problem with plays, and it's not the problem wi ...more
Tovah
Aug 21, 2008 Tovah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for middle-age so that I can be in this play.
Justin
Oct 31, 2011 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-plays
Justin
Margulies has the gift of being able to scribe language that sounds exactly like our everyday conversations. As a quick read, his naturalness can deceptively seem like a shallow take on marriage/divorce. However, everything is underneath the surface just begging a fantastic quartet of actors to tease out the unlimited subtleties. Both Tom and Beth are quite vocal about their thoughts, and their dialogue is presented quite directly in Margulies' writing. Karen and Gabe, however, are not so open a ...more
Christian Engler
Michelle
Jil
Feb 05, 2009 Jil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: play readers and playwrights; August: Osage County fans
Recommended to Jil by: G. Moss, teacher extraordinaire
Shelves: school, play
I love reading plays. I love how much I have read plays in the past few years - my binge of classics for AP English senior year; 21st Century American Drama a play-reading heaven my first semester here. And now playwriting, a class I thought would be solely focused on exercises, again assigns me a play a week - YES! They go by so quickly, and a good play is incredibly satisfying and comic in a way that few (if any) novels achieve.

This was such a blast to read, because there was none of the prete
Katie
Jul 11, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read plays, so this was a newish experience! The play involved a contrast between two married couples who took different paths--one stayed together and one broke up. The central conflict is a very familiar one... almost TOO familiar (I feel like every Woody Allen movie I've ever seen has addressed this conflict): how do you deal with the dying of the passion over the course of a long relationship. The eternal "are humans really monogamous?" question. Are we really meant to have a ...more
Alice
Oct 11, 2014 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun! Invited friends for dinner and we read DINNER WITH FRIENDS. Margulies " Collected Stories" (1996) is one of my favorite contemporary plays, at its center a great moral dilemma, to whom does a story belongs?
While "Dinner With Friends" offered an opportunity for performance and conversation about friendship and marriage, it isn't, in my estimation a great play. Needless to say, if you want to have a play reading evening, this is the perfect selection.
Buzz Park
Jul 24, 2014 Buzz Park rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this play very much, and as a middle-aged married man with 2 kids, I can relate to it directly.

Marguilies' gift is not just with the topics, but in the dialogue. This play has some of the most realistic dialogue between couples and friends I have read. These characters are very relatable as real people, it's not caricatures as is so common with modern plays.

Not a super-encouraging story, but I highly recommend.
Cassie
Aug 24, 2015 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern play readers
Recommended to Cassie by: hoopla
I'm glad that I finally found this play after seeing the same scene done in stage combat over and over again. It's a great insight into marriage and intimacy and what happens with those things are over. I loved the dialogue and its the ebbs and flows. No one is the good guy and no one is the bad guy. Everything is gray area, much like every day relationships.
Micaela
Mar 03, 2014 Micaela rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
You know when you go back and watch a classic movie, and you say, man, it is so cliche! And then you realize, that everything else you have ever seen was the thing that was cliche, and not the original? That is the feeling I get from this. At the time it was probably very pertinent and new and creative, but now......it has been done.
Tezden
Jun 11, 2014 Tezden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to a dramatized version of this play, and I loved it. It's like theater in your ear. I recommend the experience. And this book was good. Modern relationships, trials and tribulations, the 'square' of people that is created when two couples are friends for years, and one breaks up. I enjoyed it.
Michael
Jun 01, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short play about two couples and their various relationships had a surprisingly strong ending. The characters are flawed and human and you kind of wonder what's the point and then it ends with a lot of feeling. Definitely worth staging in the right venue.
Hannah
Jan 19, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this play! I played Beth, and we did Act I Scene II for our first scene in Basic Acting this semester. We had a lot of fun rehearsing and trying new things with this scene. We later used part of that scene in our final performance for the semester.
Andrew
Jan 21, 2015 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I know plays rely on dialogue, but there's a way to do it that isn't entirely explicating. For me this felt awkward to read, stilted almost. More subtlety would have been nice, perhaps, not just people yelling at each other. I did think the ending was nice.
Darius
Nov 26, 2012 Darius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the play is sort of set up in the beginning to feel like there are good guys and bad guy(s) I don't think I ever felt at ease while reading it-- this play has you worrying about everyone's judgement pretty much all the time. It's also interesting to be constantly reevaluating why I think a couple isn't working out at any given point in the play/history, and yet to still have such a clear sense of who the protagonists are because we witness them asking the same questions about how to ...more
Eric Kibler
Mar 22, 2012 Eric Kibler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I missed the chance to see this play, performed and directed by some very talented friends, a few years ago. But recently, at my acting class, the teacher handed me a monologue from the show. Intrigued, I decided to tackle some of the material as a monologue piece.

There are two married couples in the story who are close friends. But when one of the couples divorces, the friendship is thrown for a loop and the intact couple must confront some of the more unpleasant of life's realities.

The issues
Nicki
May 28, 2011 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2000 Pulitzer: a deep, inside-look into the married life. Tom and Beth's marriage is falling apart in front of best friends Gabe and Karen, a seemingly happily married couple. There are many interesting ideas raised in this piece and I tip my hat to Donald Margulies for handling issues about being married with such frightening candor. I feel like many of these ideas must sneak into the heads of every single married couple in America (at least) and yet it seems like I am hard-pressed to find mate ...more
Kendra Carlson
May 24, 2016 Kendra Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Great title. Interesting characters. Several settings. Realistic. Funny. Ultimately could be a little dark for a "date night". But a thoughtful look at relationships and how they shape one another
Ann Freeman
Jun 17, 2014 Ann Freeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short play, easily read in an hour or so. I enjoyed the exploration of the effect on a stable relationship from a breakup of the relationship of close friends. Delightful.
Beth Miller
Apr 13, 2015 Beth Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now seen this play twice and worked on scenes from it twice and find it so interesting that every time the blocking and action is so.similar. It's really a testament to how marvelous and clear the writing is, that you know what exactly what the characters are doing. As an actor using the words, it is one of the best experiences I've had with the language feeling soooo organic. I love it so much because of how realistically striking it is, but there are the dreamlike elements in there, too ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Page number count 3 14 Dec 14, 2015 07:49AM
  • Talley's Folly
  • Ruined
  • I Am My Own Wife
  • The Kentucky Cycle
  • Red
  • Three Tall Women
  • The Young Man from Atlanta
  • Anna in the Tropics (TCG Edition)
  • Bug
  • Take Me Out: A Play
  • This is Our Youth
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
  • Kimberly Akimbo
  • Clybourne Park
  • The God of Carnage
  • Topdog/Underdog (TCG Edition)
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • Beyond Therapy
Born in Brooklyn in 1954, Donald Margulies grew up in Trump Village, a Coney Island housing project built by Donald Trump's father. Margulies was exposed early to the theatre. His father, a wallpaper salesman, played show tunes on the family hi-fi and, despite a limited income, often took his children to Manhattan to attend Broadway plays and musicals.

Margulies studied visual arts at the Pratt Ins
More about Donald Margulies...