Start by marking “Dunston Falls” as Want to Read:
Dunston Falls

Dunston Falls

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Isolated during a severe winter storm in 1959, the small community of Dunston Falls in northern Maine is completely cut off from the rest of the state. When town residents begin to experience strange occurrences such as unexplained migraines and hallucinations, the stage is set for a brutal killer to begin his handiwork. When Sheriff David Peck investigates the murders of ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Dunston Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunston Falls

Philip
(SPOILERS, SPOILERS!) But good spoilers, in that if you read this review you can be spared this extremely average rip-off of a book. (This was another book that came recommended somewhere -- Washington Post, or Entertainment Weekly, or something -- I really need to start keeping track of what points me to these losers so I can avoid that source in future...)

The story starts off fair enough, but the second murder (which occurs very early on) is obviously telegraphed in the most basic horror movie
Gail
Mar 22, 2012 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans with a twist of conspiracy thrown in
I'm surprised that more people havent read this book. This was a very cheap amazon book that I've had for awhile and finally got around to reading. The mystery and suspense is well paced and the story changes from the murder mystery that is expected into something that is altogether different. I was completely taken by surprise. The main character in the story, Dave the sheriff, starts suffering from sudden onset severe migraines. As the story continues it is revealed that other characters also ...more
Bob
In the beginning you find yourself in a small isolated Maine town in the year 1959 with a new Sherriff who has just been on the job for a short while. When he gets called to a gruesome murder things begin to happen. He starts having migraine style headaches and vivid dreams, the weather changes and the whole state is being hit with an ice storm that shuts down transportation and phone and power lines. Dunston Falls is virtually isolated and must pull together to get people into what shelter they ...more
Julie
I read Lamanda's "Sunset" recently and it was one of my favorite mysteries of the past six months. So when I saw this book at the library I grabbed it. First, this apparently was the author's first book, and while well written, it does show that it was a debut. Second, despite a serial killer and a town sheriff, this is not a mystery; more of a thriller/sci-fi.
Mallory Heart Reviews
Although the novel had an interesting premise, and turned out to have a kicker climax and post-climax, the lack of proofreading and editing made me think I was reading an unpolished first draft. The author had a great idea (the last section was really convoluted and unexpected, twisting and turning upon itself, and was quite well done), but it really needed to be better polished before being presented to the public. With a little work, this could move up to a four-star-I raced through about the ...more
Anne
The year is 1959. Sheriff Peck has to get his shit together during the snowstorm of the century in the tiny town of Dunston Falls, Maine. His efforts at dealing with the emrgency are hampered by a serial killer and piercing headaches accompanied by disturbing visions. This book gets 2 stars for writing, which is very choppy and pedestrian and 4 stars for plot twists, which are quite twisty.
Paul Lindberg
This was a really fun little book. It took me about 3 days, and it was a page turner. Suspenseful with a surprise ending. Very easy read - not a lot of complex themes, just action. I got it for free on Amazon.com when I first got my Kindle Fire. Highly recommend it.
Toni Perreira
This books reads well on its own but makes more sense if you have read Walking Homeless and Running Homeless. It's a mystery with a twist, as are many of Mr. Lamandas books and the tie in between the books is quite amazing.
Tracy
It started off kind of Stephen King-y (in a good way), then progressed into something else. It wasn't what I expected, not sure what I think about it. I may have to reread it, it was very well written, very suspenseful.
Cindy
An intriguing mystery set in Dunston Falls in northern Maine during a severe winter storm where the whole community is snowed in for several days. Many twists and turns. Interesting.
Betty
I certainly got a surprise in this book.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good to a point and then far out, lousing ending
Sonya L Moore
Sonya L Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Ariana Antonio
Ariana Antonio marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Stephen Brewton
Stephen Brewton marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Cracoucax
Cracoucax marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Stacey Collins
Stacey Collins marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Stacey Kennedy
Stacey Kennedy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Adryan Moya
Adryan Moya marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Beckie Loquvam
Beckie Loquvam marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ruth Ferguson
Ruth Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Al Lamanda was born and raised in The Bronx, New York. He worked for many years as a private investigator and crime prevention specialist. He has authored five published novels, two feature films with another under option and more than a dozen books for Kindle.
More about Al Lamanda...
Sunset: A John Bekker Mystery (John Bekker, #1) Walking Homeless (John Tibbets, #1) Sunrise  (John Bekker, #2) First Light (John Bekker, #3) Apocalypse Then