Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water

Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In twenty elegant essays flow Moore's life as a professor of philosophy, down the natural channels of her native streams and rivers of the Pacific Northwest watershed. "Moore's collection sparkles as brightly as one of her sun-dappled streams". -- Kirkus Reviews
Published September 1st 1995 by Lyons Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Riverwalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riverwalking

Jenwah
Kathleen is a philosophy professor here at Oregon State and I sat in on one of her classes. I've also met her husband, so it was great to picture them doing all of these things. I'm also familiar with many of those rivers. Even without all that, I think this book was great. Very moving. Short essays that piece together life lessons from nature. I like the way she thinks.
Tucker
Why is this book not famous? I stumbled across it in a used bookstore, and anyway I am educated now.

"All along the McKenzie River Trail, there must be things we do not see, because they have no names. If we knew a word for the dark spaces between pebbles on the river bottom, if we had a name for the nests of dried grass deposited by floods high in riverside trees, if there were a word apiece for the smell of pines in the sunshine and in the shadows, we would walk a different trail."
- Kathleen D
Leigh Hancock
I love this book, of short, perfectly crafted essays that meandered between questions of classical philosophy (Moore is the philosophy chair at Oregon State), naturalist observation and parenting. They're all lovely, but one of my favorites is "the John day River," where Moore watches her son and husband go over a class five falls and get stuck in a whirlpool, all the while wondering if Emerson was right when he said that "Every sweet has its sour" and after years of marital bliss she is about t...more
John Pedersen
I love books that combine observation (usually of nature), rumination and exploration. I ran across this book in the shared book shelf of the Hike Inn, and scooped it up immediately. I found some of these essays to be rambling and unfocused, but the best of them did a great job of combining the author's loving observations of nature with her careful ruminations on her own life, past and present. I'm not going to go and get a copy of this one for myself, but it's well worth a read if you happen a...more
Scott C
Jul 23, 2008 Scott C rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the outdoors, water lovers, thinkers

Kathleen Moore takes the reader with her to 20 different rivers, creeks and streams. Each river is the title for an essay. Most of the essays follow the pattern of personal narrative interspersed with philosophical, geological, piscatorial, ethical, etc. discussions. The segues from narrative to informational usually work quite well. Most of her essays end with a “teaching moment,” or “moral,” although typically not so blatant as to be noticed as such.

As a philosopher (she’s chair of the philoso

Mark
Dec 22, 2013 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Lisa
Shelves: from-library
Found this review I wrote back in late June/early July.

Poignant, spiritual and often lyrical observations of the natural world. This short book is a fast read as it is split up into 20 named sections with even shorter sections making those up. Ruminations on the natural world, home, family, security, and even some of the eternal questions.

Reading this book made me wish I could have been a parent like her and her husband and have given my children such an exposure to the natural world, or that I...more
Doug Beagrie
This is a re-read and it will be re-read again and again.It is a small book of eleven short stories of amazing nature writing that reveals the hold of nature on the authors being and of her life and family.
Jules
Moore's prose reads like poetry. I love her blend of philosophy and nature. She dwells in both the spaces of light and dark. I go back to this book regularly.
Beth
Book of essays reflecting on nature....or life while in nature. Small book that I carried around when going on hikes. Like short stories, the essays are easy to pull out and read one at a time when you have just the right amount of time. This book of essays reinforced my enjoyment of nature writing. Enjoyable essays without trying to make a point or get across any particular message. Thinking about the book now because I just revisited one of the essays that stuck with me.
Liz
Beautiful thoughtful essays on nature and how we move through it, chaptered by various Pacific Northwest rivers and sprinkled with gentle humor. Dean was writer-in-residence for the Island Institute when I lived in Sitka, Alaska, and we took a class on seaweed identification together - a rather nice way to get to know somebody - then I talked her into giving a talk at the Unitarian meeting.
Patty
Very soft, rreflective meditation type comments on life. I learned some new facts about nature and enjoyd her discription of camping or rafting trips that she and her family had taken over the years. Very inspirational. A reminder to slow down and observe.
Mary
Jun 14, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: Susie Bartz
Wonderful, evocative descriptions of the smells, sights and sounds of rivers, creeks and other bodies of water. She weaves in musings on life, growing up and death. I would wish for one more essay to sum up her philosophy of the rivers of life.
Bookwyrmgyrl
There are some beautiful essays in this book. They seemed to mirror some of my own experiences in the natural world. I would love to meet this author because I think we would have so much to talk about together!
Tamie Harkins
Good essays, good writing. Philosophy, rivers, life. But I didn't feel like there was tons of in-depth original observations, which is what I like in essays!
mthieli
One of my favorite writers. She is able to put to words the ways that I feel about rivers. This might be the book that I have reread the most.
BlueLikeTheSky
Jul 26, 2008 BlueLikeTheSky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love the sound of moving water
Recommended to BlueLikeTheSky by: sara
This is a book I plan to return to this summer, since I didn't get to do any riverwalking of my own this year.
LINDA
Loved, loved, loved this book. So much of it spoke so deeply to me that I found myself dog-earing page after page!
Eva Thompson
Simply a beautiful book, by one of my favorite authors of all time. In fact, I think I'll read it again.
Reuel
Delightful essays/meditations on rivers and nature by Oregon writer and professor.
Melissa
Amazing. I wish I could commit it to memory. A Jewel!
Lynne
Beautifully written essays on nature as sacred.
Sandra
Book Club Selection
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
David Santiuste
David Santiuste marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 24, 2014
Environmental philosopher Kathleen Dean Moore writes about moral, spiritual, and cultural relationships to the natural world. In 2000 she founded the Spring Creek Project at Oregon State, which brings together the practical wisdom of the environmental sciences, the clarity of philosophy, and the emotive power of the written word to re-imagine humankind’s relation to the natural world. In addition...more
More about Kathleen Dean Moore...
Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature The Pine Island Paradox Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril Holdfast: At Home in the Natural World Reasoning And Writing