Empty Promises

Empty Promises (Crime Files #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,536 ratings  ·  45 reviews
MORE THAN 20 MILLION COPIES OFANN RULE'S BOOKS IN PRINT!
In this unnerving collection drawn from her personal crime files, "America's best true-crime writer" (Kirkus Reviews) Ann Rule brilliantly dissects the convoluted love affairs that all too often end in violence.
Expertly analyzing a shocking, headline-making case, Rule unmasks the deadly motives inside a seemingly...more
Published March 9th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Angie crosby
I just don't like the crime file books as much as the full length books. There are some good stories in here, and some boring ones as well.
Abel Reed
Pretty good. I've read enough of her books to recognize a specific pattern. The people who've committed the heinous crimes depicted are, well, heinous. But Ann tends to depict the victims as being almost 'too' good. She also gives prodigious praise and goes into a lot of detail about investigators and police officers in the cases - without whom I guess she wouldn't have much of a career. I'm not dismissive of the investigators, but I have a friend who was a fire-fighter/ paramedic for many years...more
Jolie
J.M.
Not bad. I feel so sorry for the women in these books who fall victims of men who are so obviously wrong for them. I guess hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy to read about a crime and think you'd never fall for it or you'd never believe the criminal's lies, but I guess it's harder to see how someone really is when you're blinded by love. I wouldn't know -- I'm much too cynical for that! But this was a good collection, and one of the stories was about a crime against a gay man, which was a bit unu...more
Becca
This was an amazingly well-written book. It was very dark at times, but what else can one expect from a book of true murder stories. The feature story completely pulled me in, and I also loved being able to get through the shorter stories in just one evening. I would highly recommend this :)
Michelle Muench
I dont usually read books like this i but really enjoyed it! This book really shows how complicated the mind of human beings really are. I will never understand how some people work no matter how hard i try. I found this book suspenful and exciting. I would deffinatly reccoment it.
Mirjam Penning
Empty promises and other true cases is part seven of Ann Rule's crime files series. The binding factor of these cases is the victims involved trusted too much, too soon and they got betrayed and lied to or worse.

The main story with the same title as the book is about the life and disappearance of Jami Hagel Sharer. She ended up in a domestic violence marriage before she vanished. There is evidence foul play is involved.
This is also one of these stories that stuck with me. A good woman with pro...more
Nick
Ann Rule is such a talented crime writer that I find it hard to get interested in other books after I've read something she wrote. Excellent collection of former cases.
Alexandra Kelly
A really well written Ann Rule book. Enjoyed it a lot. Steve Sherer deserves to rot in prison for what he did to poor Jami. Most of the stories break your heart.
Lee
I've always enjoyed Ann Rule's true crime stories - this book includes 10 tales from the northwest US and involves some pretty hair raising events...
Aileen
Eerie true murder stories that women in this century should be aware of. Very quick read that makes me want to take a break from dating.
Jennie
Ann Rule is the best True Crime writer. If you enjoy this genre...you will enjoy all her books.
Vonnie
Always creepy to read Ann Rule. In another life I plan to be work in criminal justice.
Karen Thompson
Ann Rule does it again - another great one!
Lea
Loved it...as I do all her books
Paula
I'm not sure what prompted me to request this audiobook from the library - I guess something about the description intrigued me. The book chronicles several murders, or attempted murders, most of which took place 30 or more years ago in the Pacific Northwest. I felt the prose was a little over-wrought at times, but really the problem is that crime stories are depressing, especially when you're listening to one after another.

Marilyn
"Expertly analyzing a shocking, headline-making case, Rule unmasks the deadly motives inside a seemingly idyllic marriage: a beautiful young wife, a rising star in America's top-ranked computer corporation, and a prosperous husband, the scion of a family building business. With an adorable son and a gorgeous home, the couple seemed to have it all. But a furtive evil permeated their days and nights, draggin them into a murky world of drugs, sordid sex, and con operations. In this realm, one of th...more
Teresa
Ann Rule has made a name for herself, writing stories and novels about true crime. "Empty Promises" is one of her many collections of short stories about murderers and their motives - and in this case, the oft times empty promises used to lure a victim into a crime.

With her experience as both an author AND a policewoman in Washington state, Ann Rule is more than knowledgeable about the subjects of her writing, and her expertise shows yet again.

Unfortunately, given the limitations of the book's f...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
As always Ann Rule brings it in this 7th volume of her true crime cases. Sometimes the system really pisses me off. What the heck was wrong with the state of Oregon when they were allowing prisoners to have a "social pass" to have congical visits with their lovers?!! Really?! It is no wonder why these sick men went ahead and raped and murdered women during these visits!!!

Regarding the first case "Empty Promise" Steve got on my last nerve and I'm glad he is rotting in jail. What a total jerk!
Michaela
While not the best of Ann Rule's books, Empty Promises is interesting and insightful. The stories are about love and passion and what happens when these become tainted with darkness. The running themes seems to be betrayal, obsession and innocence lost. One or two of the cases are perhaps lacking in emotion but that may be because they're older and there isn't as many details as the more recent cases.
All in all though, I'd recommend it to true crime and Ann Rule fans.
P
Feature length novel about a computer exec and his wife and other stories of love gone wrong.
Kathy
I actually hadn't read this one; just thought I did 'cause I've read so many of hers. I must say, it was nice to pick up a page-turner requiring so little thought after finishing the challenging Zhivago. I'm sticking with my original review, though (see below)! :)

Totally forgot that I'd read a whole slew of Ann Rule books several years back. Not all of 'em, but enough to realize that even though her stories are true, she's still basically a formulaic hack. Sorry, Ann!
Heather
It's hard to review this book. This is the first compilation book of hers I've read and not all of the stories were super interesting. Although her writing was consistent and flowed, and her style keeps the pages turning.
I will say Stockholm Syndrome is one of the scariest true stories I've ever read and I'm glad I did. And of course the first story about Jamie Sherer infuriates me and breaks my heart. This book should be read if only for these two stories.
Martie Look
Sometimes it is hard to start an Ann Rule book because I know what I am going to read is a true story of evil. It is hard to imagine people being so evil!! For some reason I have a fascination or a morbid curiosity with such evilness. Once I have started reading one of her books, it is hard to put it down. Part of me is saying in the back of my head - HaH Hah, you didn't get away with it, evil person!
Ruth Turner
A collection of short stories about murderers and their motives.

An interesting read.
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
I rather liked the updated epilog to the first case in this book. It never fails to surprise me how incredibly stupid some people are. You're protesting your innocent by ... hiring someone to set fire and possibly kill half a dozen people? Including your own SON?

Yeah. Like. That totally shows what an outstanding person you are.
Marsha
I know that some people consider it, and are now, icky, but I enjoyed the books by Ann Rule. I feel like I'm getting a little closer to really weird mentalities, and very strange thinking habits. I will never understand the mentality that drives killers and/or torturers, but I am still very interested in the process! Call me weird :-).
Cathie
Ann rule's books are really interesting to me and I've read many of the over the years. She really delves into why the people committed the crimes, the punishment and who the people are. Her research is wonderful. All the stories in this collection are entertaining and enlightening as well.
Sheila
Someone remind me to stop reading these things at night, please?

My favorite was the story of the incompetent killers--they had to try like four times to actually kill the poor man, and then their attempts at a defense were just, just sad.
Sazziebunny
Ann rule has a way of captivating her audience like no other author and this collection of stories was no different!it was gripping and toyed with my emotions in a welcome way!5 stars very enjoyable
  • The Misbegotten Son
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • A Descent Into Hell
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Cruel Deception
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Pure Murder
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • The Road Out of Hell: Sanford Clark and the True Story of the Wineville Murders
  • Bitter Blood: A True Story of Southern Family Pride, Madness, and Multiple Murder
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Bestial: The Savage Trail of a True American Monster
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • Invisible Darkness
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
Ann Rule is a popular American true crime writer. She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders.
At the time she started researching the book, the murders were still unsolved. In the course of time, it became clear that the killer was Bundy, her friend and her colleague as a trained volunteer on the suicide hotline at the Seattle, Washington Crisis...more
More about Ann Rule...
The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer If You Really Loved Me And Never Let Her Go: Thomas Capano: The Deadly Seducer

“. . .three percent of all males are deemed to be antisocial and without conscience, while only one percent of females seem to lack compassion for others. But the icy manipulations of that one percent are utterly fascinating. No one can be crueler than a woman without a conscience.” 41 likes