Start by marking “How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)

How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  91 reviews

In How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas, Jeff Guinn combines solid historical fact with glorious legend to deliver another heartwarming holiday book for the whole family.

It's 1620 and Mrs. Claus's dear husband is off in the New World planting the seeds of what will become a glorious Christmas tradition. Meanwhile, Mrs. Claus has chosen to stay in England, where the first sign
Published October 19th 2006 by Tarcher (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas

Shaunesay Eslanai
Highly recommend this one if you're looking for one those "meaning of Christmas" stories, versus just a story set during the holidays. I'll be looking for the rest of these.
Bonnie Walker
Love this book. There's a lot of history that is entertained with this very cool story. Not to mention a great read over the Christmas holiday. Highly recommend.
Lisa the Librarian
Jan 01, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers
Sequel to the Autobiography of Santa Claus. This tells the story of how Nicholas and his wife met and married from her point of view (he tells his side of the story in his book) and outlines some of their early adventures.

The main focus of the story is in England during the 1640's. Like Santa's book this tells us real history. I had known that the Puritans came to the "New World" to persue religious freedom, I had not known though that many Puritans actually stayed in England and with the help o
Nicki Blomquist
This tale of Christmas is told by none other than Mrs. Clause herself. The story begins when she is just a girl living with her Aunt and Uncle who have agreed to raise her when her parents died. As a young girl she knew she was a bit different than the other girls in the village. She did not want to marry and settle down with a family. Instead she wanted to travel the world.

She discovers a statue to go along with the legion of a gift giver. Immediately she decides that is what she must do. So,
Samantha
First of all, you have to read The Autobiography of Santa Claus before this book. I think this book may be better. Autobiography sets the stage for this second book in the trilogy of Christmas. The first part of How Mrs. Claus starts off recapping things so I guess you could technically not read Autobiography first, but I suggest you don't. Layla Claus is left alone in England during a turbulent time of British history. King Charles I and Oliver Cromwell play a huge part in this book. I love how ...more
Erin
We have been reading one of these Santa series every December the past few years in preparation for Christmas. We enjoyed the Autobiography of Santa Claus for the history and the spirit. We decided to try this one just to mix it up a bit and it was a bit of a struggle to get through it. In general, the story was informative and the history was interesting. But the writing was redundant- reminding us constantly that Mrs. Claus, does, in fact, love Christmas, that she's really old, that she's magi ...more
Becca
I bought this book a few years ago at a clearance sale. I finally got around to reading it for the Winter Holidays Reading Challenge.

By the author of The Autobiography of Santa Claus, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to at first. The book is a fictionalized account of the events surrounding the outlawing of Christmas celebrations under the Puritan government in England in the mid-1600's.

I thought the history was interesting, and as I said I enjoyed the story. The characters were very two-
Toni Tortorello-Allaway
I wanted to love this book as much as I loved Jeff Guinn's first one, _The Autobiography of Santa Claus_. But, I found this one to be a little dry and repetitive. The theme of the Puritans trying to take Christmas away was just so repetitive! I think the characters discuss it every other page and Mrs. Claus says the same things over and over again. Although I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed.

I wrote to Jeff Guinn after finishing his first book and told him how much it touched me. At the t
Charly
Nov 20, 2014 Charly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charly by: Anyone.
This was book two of Guinn's Christmas Chronicles. Once again an easy to read work that sheds more light on the story of Santa and Christmas. This was much more of a story about saving Christmas in Puritan England in the 1640-1680's than it was a story that explained so many of the Santa traits as was Autobiography.

Great christmas season read.
Emily
Almost as bad as the Autobiography of Santa Claus....instead of too much silliness, though, this book was boring. Just "save Christmas" with your protest, Mrs. Claus, and end the book. Geez.
Shannon Burrows
Need a + sign after the 5th star....I am actually listening to this a second time!!!!!!! I finished it and started it right back up! Must read the 1st Book!!!!
HISTORY!!! and Santa and Mrs. Claus, how do you beat that combo!?
Katie
This was a great story. It made me want to read up on European history to see which historical details were accurate. A great read!
Teri
Jan 31, 2009 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone that loves Christmas
Shelves: christmas, 2008
A great sequel. Loved it. We learn more about Mrs. Claus, Layla, as she tells her story.Where she was born, her personal history and meeting Nicholas from her point of view. Very fun. The story of the Puritans trying to ban Christmas in 1647 is the main focus of the majority of the story. Learned a lot and it was painless:). The Autobiography of Santa Claus and this book have just oozed the Christmas spirit. The have both left me with such a good feeling. True Christmas cheer. I am excited to s ...more
Karen
another fascinating book that explains why christmas traditions started and does so in a way that will make every heart want to believe in in Santa again. this time layla (mrs claus) tells her story of helping keep christmas going during the time when britain was breaking away from the holy catholic church and was trying to make the holiday a solemn and seriou one with no gifts, parties or outward celebration of the christ childs birth. i reommend it to all who still have a spark of child like w ...more
Cheryl
Cute but average~I did learn about the Puritans taking over Parlement in the 15th century.
Beth
I loved this story of how Mrs Claus entered the picture!!
Jenifer
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this book. I liked, more than I expected, the historical facts about Christmas, English Puritan religion, and various other facts scattered throughout the book. I expected a more fanciful book. The pacing is slow and I didn't really like any of the characters. The characters with the most depth were the bad guys. It did had a few fanciful-over the top in my opinion-ideas about Santa and his friends. I won't be recomending this to anyone, but I can't say I di ...more
Theresa Wild
I really enjoyed reading this sequel. It's mostly told from Mrs. Claus' perspective. I learned about historical events through this book. I love when authors out their characters in the middle of historically significant events and it is done nicely here. I love that kindness, love, and the birth of Jesus remain the most important themes throughout the book. This series of books celebrates what Christmas should be and is another feel good, yet whimsical read for the holiday season.
Elizabeth Nelson
This book is second in the series, after The Autobiography of Santa Claus and before The Great Santa Search. What a darling book--perfect for when you are in the mood for a light read--I read it at night just before lights out. Uplifting, sweet story about Mrs. Claus, Oliver Cromwell and how we almost lost the Christmas holiday. Fun way to learn a little history and feel gratitude for those who came before and did not live in times with as much freedom as we have. Wonderful!
I saw this title at my local dollar store and I'm really glad I gave it a try. The title might suggest a children's book but this book is written for adults. It's a cozy, sweet read that's perfect for the season and invokes the memories of being a kid and the magic of Christmas. I found out this is a sequel to the book the author wrote called "The Autobiography of Santa Claus". I plan to seek it out and read it as well. :)

Needed this very much this year!
Greg
Like "i>The Autobiography of Santa Claus, this new effort by Jeff Guinn also blends history and fantasy. This time, Santa Claus is away in the new world trying to encourage the growth of Christmas. Meanwhile, in Britain, the English Civil War has broken out, and Christmas is in danger of being suppressed and forgotten. Mrs. Claus takes center stage in the effort to preserve the Christmas season. Another well-written and well-researched Christmas book by Guinn!
I picked this book up on a whim from the library and was pretty disappointed. It started off great and had a great story about how Mrs. Claus originally became Mrs. Claus (written from her own perspective) and how some of the Christmas traditions started. But then halfway through it turned into a major history book and I couldn't finish it. My husband did though and he was disappointed too. He summed it up for me so I at least know how it ended. :)
Becca
"I enjoyed this Christmas story very much. Using as its springboard the actual events of a day in 1647 when ten thousand peasants marched through the streets of Canterbury demanding their right to celebrate a beloved holiday, How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas is rich in historical detail, adventure, and plain ol' Christmas fun. (Need to get hard copy for a recipe at the end for candy cane pie. Additional note: Jeff Guinn has other xmas books.)"
Chandrica
a beautiful story, more of historical fiction than fantasy. What really weighed down on me was the end...so deeply moving, riveting. :-)
Tammy
This tells the story of how Santa and Mrs. Claus met from her perspective. There is a lot of repeat information from "The Autobiography of Santa Claus" early in the book, but later it tells the story of how Christmas was outlawed in England in the mid-1600s - a fascinating history I have not read much about, and well told in this book. Made me want to learn more about it by reading some of the books referenced.
Elise Johnson
I am always up for a good read about Santa Claus! Then, add a bunch of history and that is my kind of story. Loved learning about Oliver Cromwell, the Puritans and the Crown. Guinn goes into detail about the begnings of Christmas and how traditions came to be and how it became a favorite holiday around the world. Very interesting. A lot of information but, not boring. Kept you wanting to learn more.
Maura
This is a follow-on to The Autobiography of Santa Claus, which I had read several years ago. They sound like kids' books but really are more for young adults, or for read-aloud books to younger kids. Both books actually are more history - this one covering the Cromwell era in England, and make an entertaining way to expose children to historical events that might otherwise seem pretty boring to them.
Bob
This is the second of three books that Jeff Guinn has written which intertwine the legend of Saint Nicholas with periods of history. This book pits Mrs. Claus against Oliver Cromwell and the Puritans and their attempt to ban Christmas during the seventeenth century. I always try to read a Christmas orientated book during this season to put me into the Christmas Spirit, this i=one is well worth the read.
Kelly
I bought this book about 2 years ago and I have not read it yet, but something struck me about it and I hope to one day pick it up and see what pulled me in about it

I finally read this book last year (about 5 yrs from date of purchase). It was not the anticipated Christmas story I was expecting. I wouldnt recommend it - very mystical and not the normal read I enjoy
Brenda Munds
this is one of three books in a set. I took so long reading this because I
looked up several of the historical figures that mrs claus met up with through-
out the book. Lots of history in this book, and had to ask my son about the
eras that were mentioned. enjoyed the story very much, and will read the other
2 in the future.

• The Christmas Tree
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • The Shoe Box: A Christmas Story
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Christmas with Tucker
  • Light of Christmas
  • A Very Marley Christmas
  • The History of the Snowman: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market
Jeff Guinn is the author of MANSON: The Life and Times of Charles Manson, THE LAST GUNFIGHT: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral And How It Changed the American West, and GO DOWN TOGETHER: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie & Clyde, which was a finalist for an Edgar Award in 2010. He was a longtime journalist who has won national, regional and state awards for investigative reporti ...more
More about Jeff Guinn...

The Christmas Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Great Santa Search (The Christmas Chronicles #3)
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1) Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral--And How It Changed The American West The Great Santa Search (The Christmas Chronicles #3)