Start by marking “Auntie Claus” as Want to Read:
Auntie Claus

Auntie Claus (Auntie Claus)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,979 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Auntie Claus is just another eccentric New Yorker--or is she? Young Sophie has often wondered about her unusual great-aunt, Auntie Claus. She lives in penthouse 25C at the Bing Cherry Hotel and is so curioso! After all, Auntie Claus serves Christmas cookies all year long and her tree is always the best-decorated in the city. And then there's her annual "business trip," rig ...more
Published September 7th 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Auntie Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auntie Claus

Dolly
Nov 11, 2010 Dolly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a popular book at the school book fair and when our oldest asked me to read it to her and a few classmates during reading time in her Second grade class, I was more than delighted to. It was a bit of a disappointment for me, however. The story seemed to be disjointed and too long and the message was all but lost. It just didn't flow well for me, although if I read it again, I would probably adopt a few different accents. The kids seemed to like it, but I just thought it was okay. The il ...more
Joanna
Jun 08, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A classic tale that teaches the path to happiness that invites us to live the true meaning of Christmas, love, throughout the year. Christmas is not about what you get or how many gifts you are given but it is about giving of yourself to others, "it is far better to give than to receive". Because "all the best things in life are invisible".
Kasey O'brien
Nov 29, 2013 Kasey O'brien rated it it was amazing
In the spirit of the holidays, I reread Auntie Claus for the first time in about ten years. My mom used to read this to her kindergarten class every year and I remember absolutely loving it, but I couldn't remember what exactly it was about. What a treat! This book is every bit as good as I remember. The illustrations are rich and full of holiday cheer. It's about a young girl (Sophie) who (along with her brother) is spoiled rotten by her wealthy parents. Her whole family (the Kringles) love Chr ...more
Dimity
A Mighty Girl (amightygirl.com) is my go-to source for reading materials for my daughter. I periodically check out the website book recommendations and then reserve a bunch of them at once from the library. I feel A Mighty Girl was off the mark here for suggesting Auntie Claus for the 4-8 year old age range. This book is very long for a picture book and it didn't keep my turning 4 this week daughter's attention span. I'll revisit in a couple years.
LCL Children'S
This is one of my favorite holiday books! The Kringle family live in a hotel in New York City. They love Christmas and keep their tree up all year round. Sophie has afternoon tea every day with her great-aunt, Auntie Claus. Except from right after Halloween until Valentine's Day when she goes on a business trip, that is. Sophie is determined to find out where Auntie Claus goes every year. Wait until she finds out where and why! JM (Utica)
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: When we read this in the afternoon, we had our preschooler's undivided attention. S/He didn't want to sit still for it at bedtime, though. Every time we read it, s/he wants to know more about Sophie and Auntie Claus.

Big Kid Reaction: This is a fun story. The narrative is descriptive and wholly necessary, but wordier than what our preschooler is used to. We are happy when s/he wants to sit for the whole story, 'cuz we like reading it to the end.

Pros: The story is imaginativel
Jackie
Nov 10, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Auntie Claus is a charming little story about that "bad boys and girls" list when they finally realize that it really is better to give than receive. When Sophie is oh-so-curious about what Auntie Claus does between Halloween and Christmas (it couldn't just be a business trip, could it?), she stows away and finds out what true giving is all about.
Elise
Oct 11, 2015 Elise rated it really liked it
I love this book on Christmas. It is a classic that seem so new every tme I reread.It teaches children that Christmas is not only about what you get or how many gifts you got. It develop the path to happiness, the true meaning of Christmas that is love all year long. How good there is to giving than to receive. It is awesome,a must read.
Gina
Dec 08, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Another house favorite of ours- both girls were given this book at some point in their childhoods, and we love the story so much that we have kept both so that when they grow up, they'll each have their own copy to pass on. A great message about being better to give than to receive with fantastic illustrations.
Kay Mcgriff
Dec 20, 2014 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it
Sophie learns her aunt's secret and that it is better to give than to receive. No tears--but much laughter--in this story. Sophie may be a spoiled brat, but she does have a good heart. In the end that good heart opens the door to learning some secrets and making it back home in time for Christmas.
Morgan
This book is awesome! It sends the message that it is better to give than it is to receive. Sophie learns this when she sneaks away into her Auntie Claus' bags as she slips away on her annual "business trip," during the holiday season. Sophie is forced to become an elf and work hard to try to find her aunt at the North Pole. Only to find out that Auntie Claus is Santa Claus' sister!! This book is a fun read aloud and even better when done with voices.
Michael
Jan 30, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Fun little Christmas story about a girl who finds out her aunt's secret - how important her business trips are! It tries to come up with a moral at the end but its strength is in the secret mission and the girl's adventures.
Sally Bogdan
May 05, 2014 Sally Bogdan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reads
one of my favorites! cute story for christmas time. illustrations are beauitful. good book to read to children or a class
D.
Dec 16, 2014 D. rated it really liked it
A modern classic Christmas tale. I enjoy the artwork and the characters and Jonah loves anything Santa
Alana
Sep 05, 2008 Alana rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic gift for a New Yorker Auntie to give her godchild at Christmas.
Sophie has always been curious about her rather eccentric great-aunt who lives in New York, Auntie Claus. She always has the best tree, she serves Christmas cookies all year round, and she always seems to take a mysterious "business trip" around the holidays. This year, Sophie's determined to find out what's going on, so she stows away in Auntie Claus's luggage.
The illustrations are really beautiful and we had a
Siomara
Apr 02, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing
Such an adventures book, she is trying to find out why her aunt is so mysterious!
Mrs Mathers
Mar 06, 2016 Mrs Mathers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My niece says this is her favorite picture book I own, so that says something
Marta Rodriguez
Oct 20, 2015 Marta Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All kids
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!! A LESSON ALL SHOULD TAKE TO HEART!!!
Chinmayee Patil
It is a beautiful book.i love it so mucho I read it 3times
Jan 18, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
The Kringle family has a well kept secret -- and Sophie is about to discover where her Auntie goes on her mysterious business trips...
The illustrations are fantastic, and the storyline engaging, with a lovely message. Think Polar Express + Eloise.
Catherine
Dec 10, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
Very good Christmas book.
Akasha
Jan 14, 2014 Akasha rated it really liked it
Amanda
Dec 18, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Kind of an good story about how it's better to give than to receive. It felt strange saying "Auntie Claus" since it sounds like Anti-claus and my son kept asking "Why does Auntie Claus want to be Santa Claus?" I'm not sure where he got that idea. There was a little more text than could keep his attention, but he seemed intrigued by the illustrations and the mystery surrounding who Auntie Claus is and where she goes every year...
Lisa
Dec 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
The story of Sophie, a spoiled and selfish little girl, who decides to stow away so that she can spy on her mysterious aunt, Auntie Claus. It turns out that her aunt works for Santa, and to try and blend in, Sophie poses as an elf. But when she has a chance to see the Naughty List, and sees that her brother's name is on it, she has a change of heart. Very fun story and super cute illustrations.
Jen
Dec 06, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
This is a great book about Auntie Claus, Santa's sister, and the business trip that she takes every year from just after Thanksgiving and returning just before Valentine's Day. The message she conveys to her niece and nephew who are extremely spoiled is that it's better to give than to receive and that's one that her niece learns the hard way.
Cammie
Dec 17, 2009 Cammie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to everybody
Recommended to Cammie by: my mom read it to me on Christmas
Shelves: christmas-books
Siera
Nov 15, 2008 Siera rated it it was amazing
If you haven't already read this book then you should do it now. I remember as a little kid, every year near Christmas I would read this over and over again (actually I still do), and I was so enchanted by the mysterious Auntie Claus and her mysterious key and her mysterious job - it was all so ... mysterious!!
Dayna
Dec 15, 2009 Dayna rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first Christmas books I added to my collection for "when I have kids someday" ... now I have that kiddo and this book is so fun to read. Who wouldn't want to have such a magical Auntie who lived in an amazing NYC building. Great Illustrations - very colorful!
Shauna
Nov 17, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This may be our family's favorite Christmas book . . . most of the children "fought" over who got to name this one to their favorites list.

See the other "favorite favorites" at:
Trink J.
Dec 03, 2007 Trink J. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Great for girls
Shelves: children, own-a-copy
Christmas and learning the family business from a New York City girl's point of view; very empowering. Why manners are good, and how to flaunt them, and why manners are good. Delightful, whimsical color illustrations. My 12-yr-old still likes this, and so do I!
Another winner by Elise!! 1 4 Dec 02, 2008 08:19PM
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Oranges
  • Wombat Divine
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?

Auntie Claus (3 books)