Start by marking “The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made

The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Steven Spielberg s sci-fi horror movie Night Skies. David Lynch s Ronnie Rocket. Terry Gilliam s Watchmen. Philip Kaufman s Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. Ridley Scott s I Am Legend. Tim Burton s Superman Lives. These are just some of the legendary unmade films covered by this groundbreaking book. Drawing on dozens of exclusive new interviews with the writers, designers, ...more
Published April 28th 2002 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made

Bryce Wilson
Read it and weep literally.

Don't expect to stop imagining what could have been.
Simon
I have three problems with this book, and two of them are in the title.
One: of the 21 films described here, 15 have, in some form or another, been made. Admittedly, some of them were made between the first and second editions of this book, but it still rather gives the lie to the book's main selling point.
Two: I dispute the "greatest" in the title. In most cases they're simply high profile projects, the vast majority being remakes or adaptations of books or comics. The chapters on David Lynch's
Paul
Probably a fascinating read for anyone that's really interested in their films but for a curious outsider such as me it started out interesting and soon got a bit too much like repetitive cycles of hearsay and 'He said' 'She saids' about a lot of projects or films I never realised I cared so little about.

Overall, this would probably amaze and enthral those who are really heavily into their films but for me it was fairly flat.
Greg Pettit
A compilation of quotes and anecdotes about famous properties that have had long journeys to make it (or not) to the big screen.

The main problem I had with this book was that it just wasn't as interesting as you would think. I suppose that's somewhat inevitable when you're dealing with "what if" scenarios. Here, every chapter seemed exactly the same: someone had a screenplay, maybe the studio was interested, it was rewritten by someone else, management changed at the studio, now it's on, now it'
Sean O'Hara
This was a horribly disappointing book. While there are a few chapters devoted to interesting sci-fi ideas that never got off the ground, or books that were optioned for films and never made, mostly it tells the tales of good ideas that became bad movies. Except not even that. For example, there was never a good idea attached to Alien 3 -- the studio just wanted a sequel by a certain time, story be damned.

Almost all the information in this book can be gleaned from other sources. Want to know wha
John Onoda
You probably have to be a science fiction and film geek to like this book, but I am, so I did.

Probably the major take away from this book is just how dysfunctional the Hollywood movie-making process is -- which we all know but here you get some of the cringe-inducing details. Even in a sanitized version (author David Hughes doesn't seem to get for any easy or cheap shots, which probably took a lot of self-control), a lot of people come across as weak, irrational, irresolute and sometimes just pl
David Hall
This is a very entertaining read if you are obsessed or even just mildly interested in the behind the scenes details of movie making. Hughes is a fluid and occasionally witty writer, and he squeezes enough interesting facts from his many sources.

There are so many interesting insights into the many failures and cock ups, that it can be hard to put down. Not all the examples are fully engaging, but the Star Trek, Island of Dr. Moreau and Hitchhikers chapters make up for these dips. Equally, it ca
Bruce
This work provides an insight into the movie industry and the development of movies. While the original idea comes from a short story or novel, the movie script can be dramatically different. As executives in the industry change jobs the movie companies change priorities and views. New script writers and graphic artists are brought in as new ideas are pushed by the new executives. Thus the proposed movie will have many different drafts, many differing dramatically from each other. As the scripts ...more
Jeff Mikules
The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made reminds me so much of just about every place I've ever worked: inflated egos, incomprehensibly ridiculous decisions made by the big bosses, a great amount of infighting, incredible stubbornness, new bosses coming in and "shaking things up", the stifling of creativity, the crushing of dreams, and every major decision boiling down to the almighty dollar and simple, but not always unwarranted, fear.
Since the book was published in 2001, many of the movies disc
Dimitris
Well, this is awkward. Finished the book in three days and long readings they were, no doubt about it. The book is interesting, but despite that I wouldn't call it a book you just have to read. It's a bit sad to feel that all this research does not make a good book. Too much executive angst and long story short, "we got this guy/gal who can write (remember this and that amazing script?)but his/her particular draft was horrible or they destroyed an almost excellent draft we had/we chose another f ...more
William Johnson
Mar 24, 2012 William Johnson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: movie lovers, science fiction fans
I really had a blast reading this book because it seems to have an inside beat into the making of movies as the author has been involved, on varying levels, with some of the films that were never made (and/or were made much later but in totally different ways).

Some chapters were absolute page turners. For me, reading what each of the Star Trek movies COULD have been compared to what they BECAME was always fascinating as some of the bad Trek movies had originally great ideas while some of the gre
Nathan Worthington
A fascinating look behind the scenes of Hollywood at how movies are made (or not made in the cases mentioned in the book). The book examines at least 21 movies that have been stuck in 'development hell' for years. Among those featured are the following science fiction movies (with the directors who were attached to each of the projects): Night Skies by Steven Spielberg, Childhood's End by Stanley Kubrick, Star Trek: Planet of the Titans by Philip Kaufman, Six Million Dollar Man by Kevin Smith, S ...more
Ben De Bono
There's some ok information in this book, but the writing is so pedestrian it isn't worth the effort. To make a book like this work, the author needs to be a good storyteller. David Hughes simply is not. If any of the failed projects in question interest you, you're better off doing a Google search on them rather than trudging through this very dull read.
Gareth
Very entertaining investigation into Hollywood and some fascinating glimpses of movies that will never be. "The Tourist" is the strongest contender for a lost classic, whilst I'm delighted that "The Silver Surfer" never made it to the cameras. A shame that Peter Howitt's version of "Thunderbirds" never got off the ground, whilst its fascinating to think that "John Carter of Mars" might have gone down in history as the world's first animated feature film.

There plenty of great stories about dim-wi
Zack
This book suffers from a small problem -- since it first came out, about half the movies in it have actually been made! In fact, they just put out a new edition. A more accurate take on this book is "The Greatest VERSIONS of Sci-Fi Movies Never Made." From Kevin Smith's Superman to James Cameron's Spider-Man to Ridley Scott's I AM LEGEND, this details the long and arduous process that leads to a big-budget SF film getting made. In some cases, you'll wish we could have gotten the different versio ...more
Joshua
This collection of essays on science fiction films that were "almost" made has some great chapters in it--David Lynch's never filmed "Ronnie Rocket," the story behind all the "Alien" films and the "Star Trek" chapter were my favorites. Some I didn't care for at all simply because I'm not into the source--"The Watchmen" or "Dune" for example.

Still, the interesting thing was to read about the failed attempts to make a few of these films and how different screenplays or a different director would
Joshua
Sep 09, 2008 Joshua rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of film
Some of what's printed in here is common knowledge for any film buff, but there is always something new to be found within its pages. For every crappy film that is made ( Dave , Mummy 3 , Babylon AD ) and for every crappy remake that is envisioned, ( Deathrace 2008 , Bankok Dangerous ), there are 10 brilliant screenplays left to collect dust and never be realized because some studio head with no knowledge of cinema wants another Will Smith movie and will put him into every film if he could. R ...more
Tom Edwards
A wonderful insight into the pitfalls of Hollywood Fillm-making and how Sci-Fi causes budget and conceptual problems.
Steve Mitchell
This book is a really good read even if it is now out of date: some of the films have been made, with even more scheduled for release later this year. As a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the chapter about Douglas Adams’s attempt to make a big screen version was what drew my interest to this book; and I was not disappointed. I would recommend it to any sci-fi film fan; but for the chapters that describe attempts to turn a novel into a film, go out and read the novel first!
Cath Murphy
Wonderful, fascinating canter through some of the beached hulks which litter that bay of lost dreams called Development Hell. Sci-fi movies are especially prone to crashing and burning before they reach the screen, partly because the ideas age so quickly and partly because they are almost never cheap to make. This is a collection of some of the highest concept films which almost made it, but not quite.
Jack Gattanella
Catnip for movie buffs. The story behind what could've been Ridley Scott's I Am Legend is especially absorbing. I did skip a couple of chapters (I won't lie) since I didn't really know much or care for the movies, like Logan's Run (didn't know much). If nothing else though.... Dune.... man oh man, I would give my right and left testicle to see that flick.
Chris
A collection of some of the major "coulda/woulda/shoulda" movies of the last thirty or so years, any enterprising nerd has likely heard tell of half these projects somewhere along the line. While some of the stories herein were familiar to me, many others were comfortably out of my wheelhouse and I enjoyed learning about a lot of these proposed sci-fi flicks.
Tvermar
good book, well written, especially liked the chapter on The hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. Suffers, due to no fault of Mr Hughes, that the story of one film's develvelopment hell is not that much different from anothers.

more an extended magazine article than a book - but I really enjoyed it, and I'm not that much of a film buff.
Jeremiah Goodman
A really fascinating look at the inner workings of Hollywood filmmaking. The graveyard of unproduced scripts and projects killed by business bureaucracy is rife with good ideas that would have made very enjoyable films. It was interesting to get the story of several lackluster films and how what was intended never made it to the screen.
Richard
Old news but still a good read, if you're a movie fan (and I am) then this is a diverting read in the same way that "Blockbuster - How Hollywood Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Summer" was.

It's not Easy Riders Raging Bulls but it's also head and shoulders above a lot of movie write up dross
Nicole
This was a fascinating look at the world of moviemaking in general and genre moviemaking in particular. I was especially interested in some of the stories of films that did get made, such as Supernova and The Island of Doctor Moreau. Both films seemed to be even more painful to make than they were to watch.
Jobby
A fascinating look at all the work that can go into getting a film made only to have the studio execs say "Nah, we're not going to give you the money to make that. we want to make X instead", or to have all the good stuff changed so the resulting film is awful.
Makes you wonder what could have been. :(
Chris
Interesting facts & stories behind various sci-fi films wandering the moors as unmade scripts/ideas. Read an older version of this book, and enjoyed the handful of films that had finally struggled their way to the screen since this version had been written. A good skim-read, if nothing else.
Jay Noble
If you love Sci-Fi films, or even have a passing interest in the politics and ego of Hollywood, this is a fantastic read.

It is amazing how much money is wasted, and how many great ideas slip through the fingers of people who are supposedly the 'experts' in the industry.
Chuck
The stuff about "The Island of Dr. Moreau" is interesting, although that WAS ultimately made into a movie. If you like reading about early versions of scripts that were declined by movie studios, this is the book for you.
  • Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • Profoundly Disturbing: The Shocking Movies that Changed History
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • Cinema Sewer, Vol. 1
  • Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
  • Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror
  • Monsters in the Movies
  • The Dream Life: Movies, Media, And The Mythology Of The Sixties
  • They Live
  • Cult Movies: The Classics, the Sleepers, the Weird, and the Wonderful
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • The Evil Dead Companion
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • Film Noir Reader
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
  • City of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940s
  • Destroy All Movies!!!: The Complete Guide to Punks on Film
Tales From Development Hell: The Greatest Movies Never Made? The Complete Lynch The Complete Kubrick Walking the Dog Comic Book Movies (Virgin Film)