Start by marking “Ain't It Cool?: Kicking Hollywood's Butt” as Want to Read:
Ain't It Cool?: Kicking Hollywood's Butt

Ain't It Cool?: Kicking Hollywood's Butt

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This is the story of how Harry Knowles, a college dropout weaned on films and bedridden by an accident, started the Web site from his bedroom in Austin, Texas. In just four years he has crashed the insider world of Hollywood to become one of the most powerful and feared men in show business.
318 pages
Published 2002 by Boxtree

To ask other readers questions about Ain't It Cool?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ain't It Cool?

Chris
Jan 13, 2010 Chris rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, movies, 2010
I picked this book up on a lark; I was a regular reader of Harry Knowles' website in college and I while I never thought he was a very incisive film critic, I appreciated the enthusiasm and personality he injected into his writing. That being said, I don't feel like that translated to this book at all.

This felt like a book of lists... lists of people who contributed to the Ain't It Cool website, lists of movies that the author saw at film festivals. The successes seem overly trumped up to the p
Stacey
Jan 13, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about Harry Knowles when my husband asked me to read this book. I found him to be amusing and entertaining, though if you've never visited his website, you'll want to skip the chapter about his spies - I'm not familiar with them and don't care. Wish there was more follow up about his injuries - did he ever get health insurance and go to the doctor? Final diagnosis? How does he get around today? Some interesting glimpses into Hollywood, though.
Adrian Faulkner
Jan 04, 2010 Adrian Faulkner rated it really liked it
As someone who ran a successful website for a number of years I found this a really interesting read. There were a lot of parallels to what was going on in my life at the time and it was actually quite a relief to know I wasn't the only person having these weird but wonderful internet experiences.

For me that overshadowed a lot of the movie content, which I still found interesting and engaging but not as much as the whole chapters on Internet fame.
Andy
Mar 24, 2008 Andy rated it liked it
Tons of fun. Knowles gives something of a history of his site, as well as some unexpected side trips into some surprising areas, such as his feud with Matt Drudge.
Tammy
May 29, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! He loves movies and relates his life through movies. I enjoyed his candid and funny style.
Augustin Ra
Augustin Ra marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Nagarajan Nadar
Nagarajan Nadar marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Ron S
Ron S rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
John V.
John V. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tom Foley
Tom Foley rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Jim Bagrow
Jim Bagrow rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
Zenon
Zenon rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Macclint
Macclint rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Santa
Santa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jayanthan Sivaloganathan
Jayanthan Sivaloganathan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Gina Patten
Gina Patten rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
Bryan
Bryan added it
May 11, 2015
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Brandon Halsey
Brandon Halsey rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Eric Warren
Eric Warren rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harry Jay Knowles is an American online film critic known for his movie news and review website, Ain't It Cool News.
More about Harry Knowles...