Start by marking “Ernst: Beyond Painting (Taschen Basic Art)” as Want to Read:
Ernst: Beyond Painting (Taschen Basic Art)

Ernst: Beyond Painting (Taschen Basic Art)

Max Ernst (1891-1996) is one of the most important figures of Dadaism and Surrealism. As a student in Bonn, he found himself drawn to the Dada movement that had arisen in counter-reaction to the mass slaughter of World War I.

The closing of the famed Dada exhibit in Cologne for ’obscenity’ led Ernst to decide to spend the rest of his life in Paris, where he came in contact
Published March 1st 2004 by Taschen (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ernst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernst

Glenn Russell
Sep 18, 2016 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Eye of Silence

Max Ernst: Beyond Painting. Ninety pages of artistic dynamite with an extended essay by art historian Ulrich Bischoff. Part of the Taschen series with dozens of pages filled with Max Ernst art, the majority in color, this volume offers a solid foundation for anyone interested in the artist’s life and work. Below are a number of direct quotes from the essay along with my comments:

“Max Ernst, who grew up in a petty bourgeois home in the Rhineland experienced art and culture eithe
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Another great entry in Taschen's Basic Art series. Max Ernst was an amazing artist, and this slim volume does a great job of introducing the man, his life, and a great selection of photographic reproductions of his work. While the reproductions are necessarily small, they are still high-quality and full of wonder. For the price, this is probably about the best introduction to this great artist that you're likely to find.
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Max Ernst was a leading artist in the Dada and Surrealist movements. I had just finished his "novel in collage", Une semaine de bont and wanted more information about him. This book, in the Taschen series of short books about major artists, gives an overview of the evolution of his art, with reproductions of his most important works -- the book is about half text, half photos. I hadn't realized how many techniques used today -- some that I learned in grade school art class -- were either invente ...more
Jul 12, 2011 AC rated it liked it
Shelves: art
For me - with my very limited understanding here - much of the dada and surrealist work I've seen... simply strikes me as somehow immature -- psychologically, emotionally... I'm not sure what the right word is. It also seems to me to be dated. It's not holding up well. It may just be my ignorance or lack of sympathy or something... Or maybe it's just Ernst doesn't sit well with me. I like Hans Arp's work enormously... but the thought of an 80+ year old Ernst painting those funny futuristic bugs ...more
Wessel van der Merwe
Oct 15, 2012 Wessel van der Merwe rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I understand the explanations given for Max's art and they might be valid but it kind of take away some of the mystery if it is explained in detail and I think some of it might be totally wrong. Nevertheless the book is good to read and I think the man came to great art through experiments and only achieved great art at the end of his life.
Amanda Hubik
Aug 03, 2011 Amanda Hubik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have the English Version
Max Alletzhauser
Max Alletzhauser marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Zoe marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
doom-of-zeus marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Luís C.
Luís C. marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Emeline Dardoff
Emeline Dardoff marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Matthias marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Ryan Benedetti
Ryan Benedetti marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
The_Dee'S_Dial_666 rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Mich marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Tracy Miller
Tracy Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
UV added it
Aug 03, 2016
Francesca marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sheida Pebdani
Sheida Pebdani marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Zhivko Apostolov
Zhivko Apostolov rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Ignacio Algarin
Ignacio Algarin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Marce marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Tony Ocampo
Tony Ocampo rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016