Start by marking “Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Rendition and Torture Program” as Want to Read:
Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Rendition and Torture Program

Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Rendition and Torture Program

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  16 reviews
On June 10th, 2002, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced that the US had captured a known terrorist who was exploring a plan to explode a "dirty bomb" on American soil. That alleged terrorist was José Padilla who was finally charged in 2005 with conspiracy to murder. What Ashcroft didn't talk about was how information against him was obtained - by the relentless tortur ...more
Published September 18th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Plane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Plane

Terri
I have to admit, when I see a military or war non fiction book is written by a journalist my trust in the account being unbiased and devoid of sensationalism slips.
Pair that with the promotional line on the back of this book that states "Hundreds more have been flown away on the Ghost plane to be tortured with the full knowledge of the US Government and in the name of the American people. Who will be next?"
My red flags automatically start going up. That there, is journalistic sensationalism at
Chris Morrow
Some of the story here has been told in other places, or hinted at over time. I'd not seen as detailed an account (with sources listed) for any of this before. It's frightening how poorly the gov't is covering it's tracks here. It's also frightening that this thinly veiled process is being used at all!

I'm shocked, as an american citizen at the activities. I'm also distressed that the public policy stand on what's happening is 180 degrees off from the reality on the ground. Folks are being spirit
Jerome
Very interesting. I enjoy reading about the CIA's covert operations and anything about the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Division-Special Operations Group. The level of detail he collected about this program of capturing terrorists and flying them to overseas interrogation sites was astounding. I figured there were black sites in Egypt, since they are allies (or they were at the time of publication), but I had no idea we had them in Syria. Grey also provides a brief, interesting history ...more
Books Ring Mah Bell
Kinda slow and boring. Seriously, how can one write about torture and have it be boring?!!? It was. (unless you are the person being tortured. Then, I'm guessing it's not boring at all.)
Paul
Stephen Grey pores over documents and flight logs of the CIA rendition teams planes to give a very compelling story. A must read for CIA - spy buffs. Which group is the real terrorists?
Rayne
Incredibly thorough research, a real resource, and compelling writing.
Cwn_annwn_13
Most of this is a chapter by chapter case by case analysis of various individuals alleged to have ties to terrorist groups who were snatched up by the CIA, taken to countries where there are no laws against torturing people and basicly tortured by outsourcing. As if this wasn't bad enough the ties any of these people had to terrorism were very dubious at best. I have to commend Greys investigative journalism in putting this book together. The book itself wasn't overly exciting or interesting to ...more
Douglas White
This book is a really detailed look at the CIA rendition program started under Clinton and massively expanded under Bush.

It's not the most exciting book, but it well written and well sourced.

I think it also does a good job of explaining how and why the rendition program changed after 9/11.

The real shame is we still are not addressing many of the issues that lead to rendition in the first place. It seems that we have stopped rendition, but that is because we are using drones to kill rather than
Paul
What I found most interesting was how the author and his colleagues from around the world put together the pieces to expose the CIA's rendition program. This book is detailed not only in the telling of the story but also in how the program evolved. For the haters of George W. Bush, they're not going to like knowing that this program was going on long before he took office. That said, he and those in his administration did expand upon it on an exponential level.

Ghose Plan is worth the time and en
Frances Bell
I read it because I'm always happy to catch the US out. But - it was written by a journalist so the shock that should have been there during the course of reading it just wasn't there. Subject matter that deserved better treatment. Ho hum.
George Rabanal
Pretty eye opening book into rendition flights. It was a little rough in some parts, but I never felt like it was an anti-government feel. It's pretty neutral.
Colleen Clark
Feb 15, 2010 Colleen Clark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to know what the US government is up to.
Shelves: politics-terror
Along with "Torture Taxi" a book to read on our government's involvement in capturing suspects abroad and rendering them to 3rd countries for "interrogation" ie torture.
Robert
Well documented/researched book on the CIA's rendition program. This guy is who helped uncover the whole thing.
Tim
The information is interesting but it is kind of a run on sentence of names, places and activities.
Jason
A real eye opener! A must read for anyone interested in current events!
Rio
I forgot to add this to my list! Still reading Atlas Shrugged, and I love it.
Alison
Alison added it
May 24, 2015
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
John Thielking
John Thielking marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Coco Shelton
Coco Shelton marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mudassar Toor
Mudassar Toor marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Ti-pat Marois
Ti-pat Marois marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Giovanna Vacca
Giovanna Vacca marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Rome
Rome marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Adrianna R
Adrianna R marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror (American Empire Project)
  • Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
  • The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America's War in Arabia
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
  • The Interrogator: An Education
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • Hunting in the Shadows: The Pursuit of al Qa'ida since 9/11
  • The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda
  • Journey into Madness: The True Story of Secret CIA Mind Control & Medical Abuse
  • Black Ops: The Rise of Special Forces in the CIA, the SAS, and Mossad
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • America's Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies
  • The Way of the Knife: The CIA, a Secret Army, and a War at the Ends of the Earth
  • The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA & Mind Control
  • Pakistan on the Brink: The Future of America, Pakistan, and Afghanistan
Operation Snakebite: The Explosive True Story of an Afghan Desert Siege Into The Viper's Nest: The First Pivotal Battle Of The Afghan War Operation Snakebite: The Explosive True Story of an Afghan Desert Siege The New Spymasters: Inside the Modern World of Espionage from the Cold War to Global Terror Into the Viper's Nest: The First Pivotal Battle of the Afghan War