Start by marking “The Wanderer” as Want to Read:
The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer, which consists of two closely related novels, Under the Autumn Star and On Muted Strings, has been acclaimed as one of Knut Hamsun's finest works.

The narrator, Knut Pedersen (Hamsun's real name), is an unsimple character in search of the simple life, which he hopes to attain by wandering round the Norwegian countryside doing such work as he can find. His ques
Published April 1st 2001 by Condor Books (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Wanderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wanderer

Steven
May 16, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
The Wanderer is composed of two related novels: Under the Autumn Star and On Muted Strings. The first was definitely better than its sequel, which follows the same character (Knut Pedersen, Hamsun's real name) later on in his wanderings - but I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Hamsun has a unique talent for elevating the lives of ordinary people to a high level of general and artistic interest; and his propensity for leaving unexplained some of the reasons, motivations, or background of his main ch ...more
Geoff
Oct 03, 2008 Geoff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: students of nature
Much like the tone of a book by Giono (I'm sure Giono was well aware of Hamsun), this is a lovely, simple story about a wanderer and his interactions with people and nature. The sometimes surreal, magical imagery that crops up, and Hamsun's almost mystical descriptions of solitude, working with the land, and the joy of immersing oneself in forests, rivers, and mountains, makes it a wonderful, contemplative book. The characters themselves were a little thin, but overall I greatly enjoyed this.
Cwn_annwn_13
Feb 16, 2009 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it really liked it
This is my least favorite out of the four by Hamsun I have read. As in most of what he wrote I think a lot of his personal screwiness comes through in the main character of the book. In this case its a man who spends his life roaming from town to town in Norway doing random labor for hire. He gets stalkerish obsessions with women who it is in innappropriate for him to have interest in, namely the wives of his employers. Mainly this book focuses on the main characters obsessions, manipulations ...more
Juniar
Nov 14, 2007 Juniar rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
Borrowed from my Danish exchange program student friend. I could feel when the wanderer in the story felt sleepy on a sunny day.
Teri
Jan 13, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing
Hamsun is so introspective...gets inside the mind and soul of his characters. very satisfying reading..not light
Steven Monrad
Mar 01, 2008 Steven Monrad rated it it was amazing
Two sequential novels in one cover.

Under the Autumn Star

A Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings

autobiographical fiction
the famous Hamsun style spare and evocative
Madhuri
Aug 17, 2008 Madhuri rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, nobel, norwegian
The theme of a wandering man is central to many of Hamsun's characters, so it is perhaps only fitting that a book comprising of two of his writings be called The Wanderers. The cover contains two inter-twined Hamsun writings: Under the Autumn Star and Wanderer plays on muted strings, the latter a sequel to the first - and is a close but stale reflection of Hamsun's themes and moods, perhaps even a reflection of some of his own experiences
In the former, the wanderer Knut Pedersen leaves behind hi
Åñbü Çhélvåñ
THE BOOK SPEAKS OF THE FEELINGS OF AN OLD MAN AND HIS WANDERING BUSINESS;

the lines i liked in this book are:
maybe grindhusen is right, maybe it's a universal truth that something will turn up tomorrow as surely as it has today.

"I WAS FREE AND UNKNOWN"

"i thought to myself: no,its not exactly roses,roses all the way when you go wandering"

one man marvel at my walking and walking without apparent purpose

Six years gone, ay, so long it
is ago; would she be greatly changed? Time has had its wear on me;
Michael Steger
Aug 30, 2010 Michael Steger rated it really liked it
'The Wanderer' comprises two short, closely related novels: 'Under the Autumn Star' (1906) and 'On Muted Strings' (1909). The narrator in both is Knut Pedersen (Hamsun's own real name, in fact), who has renounced urban, middle-class life in favor of wandering the countryside, picking up work wherever he can. The tone of 'The Wanderer' is highly ambiguous: at times whimsical, at times dark, at times rather mysterious (as when the narrator is visited by a dead woman for a few evenings). The plot ...more
Ole
Oct 29, 2012 Ole rated it really liked it
Shelves: hamsun

"My fellow neurasthenics, we are poor human beings and not much use, either, as any kind of beast.
One day, I suppose, I shall weary of staying unconcious any longer, then I shall make my way once more to an island."

This book is quite strange.

There are some truly great passages in this book. About wandering, nature, growing old... About us humans. Our relations to work, toil, cultivation practices, and of ingenuity.This mixed with prose, written by a master-craftsman. Hamsun is great.

But then; t
Konserve Ruhlar
Aug 26, 2014 Konserve Ruhlar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Üç kitaptan oluşan romanda ana kahraman aynıdır. Knut Hamsun'un kendisi olarak yorumlanan kahraman 50'li yaşlarında hüzünlü, hiçbir yerde uzun süre kalamayan, kırlarda, doğal hayatta mutlu olarak içine kapanan, gittiği çiftliklerde ve kentlerde çevresindeki insanları ilgiyle izleyen biridir. Kahramanın gözlemlediği kadınlar genelde mutsuzdur. Evlilik kurumunun mutsuzluk getirdiği görünür. Norveç'in müthiş doğasını Knut Hamsun'un gözünden okumak kitaptaki en doyurucu nokta. İhtiyarlandıkça ...more
Paul
Jan 28, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two linked novellas by Hamsun - 'Under The Autumn Star' (1906) and 'On Muted Strings' (1909) - with the same characters in each story but separated by a 6 year gap in the story. The protagonist/narrator of the first story, neatly described on the back cover as 'an un-simple man in search of a simpler life', is closer to the style of Hamsun's earlier great novels. By the second story he has been somewhat relegated to being the witness to the domestic tragedy of an unhappy marriage. Hamsun's ...more
Susan
Jul 09, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
I like to read Hamsun because he gives me insight into Norwegian culture and how people connect with nature. I understand that it is not one of his best works. I felt the book was really about the cultural/societal changes taking place in northern Europe in the early 1800's. The characters were symbolic of a cultural shift in attitudes; an end of the pioneer days moving into a more worldly global economy. A new horizon was unfolding. This was about how individuals and communities were feeling ...more
Vinicius
Mar 24, 2016 Vinicius rated it it was amazing
Um viajante que passa por diferentes locais exercendo as mais diversas funções (lenhador, pintor e etc...)

Pode parecer enfadonho, no entanto Knut Hamsun transforma uma simples história em uma excelente trama envolvendo todas suas características peculiares. A preferência pela vida no campo assim como perfeitas descrições do cenário local acabam nos transportando ainda mais para o enredo.

As características acima, somadas ao relacionamento entre Capitão Falkenberg e sua esposa Fru, me levaram a tr
David
Feb 25, 2009 David rated it liked it
“What one does must not be hopelessly at odds with what one is!”

“There’s a large theatrical element in all of us; we feel flattered at being taken for more than we are.”

“The very favor of receiving life at all is handsome advance payment for all life’s miseries, each single one.”

“I have no mission, no places I must visit; I am just a wanderer setting out from a logger’s cabin and coming back to it again; it makes no difference where I am.”
Deirdre S
May 08, 2015 Deirdre S rated it really liked it
My 4-star review for "The Wanderer" is really for the first section, "Under the Autumn Star" ("On Muted Strings" is fine but it's really just meant to resolve the relationship between Knut Pedersen and the Falkenburgs). The imagery of the protagonist wandering around a snowy Norwegian countryside, with the lights of the farmsteads shining through the autumn dusk, creates a peaceful atmosphere that is both nostalgic and - rather paradoxically - timeless.
Zach
Dec 25, 2012 Zach rated it really liked it
A great book describing a fascinating lifestyle and told with a vaguely Eastern feel, like a precursor to Siddhartha, rather than the typical European style popular at the time. I'd call it "On the Road" back when being "on the road" meant you'd probably die of exposure, but I can't stand "On the Road" and this, I enjoyed.
Owen
Feb 16, 2012 Owen rated it liked it
I love the way Hamsun writes, and I love the atmosphere of his novels. Unfortunately, the stories he tells are not always so interesting. In this book I strongly preferred the first story (about a man wandering about, doing work, acting selflessly, being intrigued by women) to the second, which is essentially a tragic romance that did not particularly stir my interest.
Josh Mings
It was a good story about a wanderer who doesn't settle down and how his life interweaves with others, but it is missing the charged inner thoughts of his first phase, and the exquisite representation of nature and nostalgia from his later phase. Still a good read.
jack
Jun 29, 2009 jack added it
Shelves: fiction-lit
picked this up based on moe's review in xtra tuf zine. the story line was appealing to me, but it just was not moving very well. im unsure if it was the translation, but something about it just wasnt working. will give it another go later.
Arne
Sep 29, 2008 Arne rated it it was amazing
Great prose. He clearly portrays the inner workings -- love, paranoia, indifference, etc. -- of people very well. I had read other reviews that called the second book "lyrical" and while I wouldn't necessarily disagree, I'd just call it true and beautiful.
Grim-Anal King
Jan 18, 2014 Grim-Anal King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two patchy novels (or are they novellas Nigella?) in plot terms, but at times the prose offers transcendent simplicity. It leaves me wishing the protagonist had wandered more and observed human relationships a little less.
Callum
Jun 26, 2014 Callum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book of traveling, interesting backwoods marital intrigue, and the efforts of a hard days work.
Søren Sohn
Søren Sohn rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Koira
Koira rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Bill Silversmith
Bill Silversmith rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Ronald Singleterry
Ronald Singleterry rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008
  • Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers
  • The Dwarf
  • Niels Lyhne
  • World Light
  • The Old Man and His Sons
  • Lewis resa
  • Albertine (1886)
  • Flowers of Evil and Other Works/Les Fleurs du Mal et Oeuvres Choisies : A Dual-Language Book (Dover Foreign Language Study Guides) (English and French Edition)
  • The Pistoleer
  • Castle to Castle
  • A Madman's Manifesto
  • Abel Sánchez and Other Stories
  • Wandering Star
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920 "for his monumental work, Growth of the Soil". He insisted that the intricacies of the human mind ought to be the main object of modern literature, to describe the "whisper of the blood, and the pleading of the bone marrow". Hamsun pursued his literary program, debuting in 1890 with the psychological novel Hunger.
More about Knut Hamsun...