Start by marking “Metamorphosis (Star Trek The Next Generation; The First Giant Novel)” as Want to Read:
Metamorphosis (Star Trek The Next Generation; The First Giant Novel)

Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,112 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Unexplained gravitational disturbances summon Captain Picard and the Starship Enterprise to the planet Elysia, and the android Lieutenant Commander Data to a date with destiny. For on this alien world, he is drawn into an impossible quest, leading him to consequences both heartwarming and disastrous, as he finally dares to pursue his fondest desire: to become human.
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published March 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Metamorphosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metamorphosis

Camille
Feb 28, 2011 Camille rated it liked it
The first "Giant Novel" in The Next Generation series this book takes us on a journey where the android Data becomes human. I mean, literally human. This isn't a spoiler because the book sets up this notion from page one where Dr. Pulaski is goading everyone about how non-human Data truly is... but never fear, Data takes it all in stride with most of his friends taking the brunt of her offensive words (androids have feelings too Pulaski).

The novel starts well and I was intrigued about the alien
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
May 30, 2015 ❀Aimee❀ Just one more page... rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I remember reading this back in high school and loving that Data was experiencing REALLY being human. Why is it that the main thing that stuck with me about this book was Data figuring out that THAT sensation meant he had to take a dump?

Sean Randall
Jul 28, 2009 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing
if i'd realised that jean Lorra had written this novel I would have read it a long, long time ago. survivors, the other work I've read, is without doubt the most emotionally-compelling Star Trek novel I have ever come across.

Lorra's done it again, this time, with Data. He played an important part in Survivors, and a lot of that bleeds through. The story of tasha yar was a tragic one - but of course, Data's quest for Humanity, if written well, could be as poignant and as heartfelt as yar's lost l
Mike
Sep 16, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Okay, so what WAS I thinking? In my desire to relive some of the greatness that was Star Trek the Next Generation (STNG) I thought I would read one of the novels. After all, it doesn't have to be genius to be a good read and since my dream of a new version of STNG on either AMC or HBO will likely never happen the only place to get more STNG is by reading. That said, I did my homework and this novel is the highest rated of the STNG novels on Amazon. I thought "How could I go wrong?"

The premise is
Jim Morrison
Feb 13, 2012 Jim Morrison rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I like the philosophical aspects of a good science fiction story and this filled the bill. I liked it because it caused me to reflect on "the human condition". It is a mixture of several stories that are blended together, but it is nicely done. Lorrah's writing held my interest to the end. I would say the end may have been a bit weak; just an attempt to tie up the loose ends of the story about the Konor and the Samdians on the planet Elysia which was just adequate. The middle of the story is the ...more
Zoe Blinko
Aug 03, 2015 Zoe Blinko rated it it was amazing
As my first dip into the TNG novels I don't think I could have picked a better place to start!

I've only recently really started getting into all of Trek (only slightly through TNG season 2 and TOS season 2) and since Lieutenant Commander Data is for me, so far, the most delightful character to watch, I'm glad to see he translates extremely well into writing. Perhaps it's because I loved Commander Spock in TOS since Data appears to have similarly themed difficulties with emotions but on the oppo
Mary Norris
Oct 14, 2010 Mary Norris rated it it was amazing
I loved the fact that my favorite character-- the android known as Data-- was able to fufill his dream of becoming human. After helping a native of a planet that he was stranded on, the 'gods' of the planet allow him his deepedt desire of being a human. But the dream soon takes a turn as he constantly deals with the struggles he faces. In a quest to undo what has been done, Data realizes that there is more to being human than just flesh and blood.
Weavre
Jul 16, 2008 Weavre rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I was excited to take a literature course with Jean Lorrah at Murray State University in about 1989-ish, titled, "Fantasy, Myth, and Legends." The class was a lot of fun, and I didn't appreciate what I learned from Jean until far too late to offer an appropriate thank-you. But ... we're still reading her books, so maybe that counts for something!
Phillip
Jun 29, 2014 Phillip rated it did not like it
Danielle
Mar 20, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
It's a great Data book. It's neat to see him experiencing life as a real flesh and blood human.
Angie
Jul 13, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sttng
If you're a big Data fan, this book is BRILLIANT.
Chy
Feb 23, 2013 Chy rated it really liked it
I kinda wish I hadn't reread it. After coming off I, Q feeling as if I'd just watched a lost episode of TNG, I was hoping to regain the feeling. I still have this book because I liked it so much.

I still like it, it just comes nowhere close to feeling like a lost episode. It just reads like pure fanfiction.

And, sure, I realize what these books generally boil down to is fanfiction, but what I really consider fanfiction is when the writer takes some real liberties with characterization. And the mai
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Bad, just bad ! Data wants to be human, we all know that. But then some god like creature grants him his wish and he is human. He has to deal with all the unknown feelings and emotions and learns what it means to be human.

Sounds like a great story, but the writing is just bad. Too long, too boring and not even close to interesting.
Bibliophile
May 27, 2013 Bibliophile rated it really liked it
Jason Roark
May 06, 2014 Jason Roark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Great story and wonderful life lesson. I wish Data could have remembered what he experienced though, but then it wouldn't have been quite the same.
Rebecca  Porter
Apr 02, 2014 Rebecca Porter rated it really liked it
Shelves: assorted
Tricia Gonzales
Jan 27, 2012 Tricia Gonzales rated it it was amazing
i can't remember that much about this novel except that i read it in the 5th grade during recess while all the other kids were playing. i loved it because it dealt with Data and was a rich story that even a kid could read. i remember being entranced with this book and not being able to put it down. this was a time when my mom bought and read every st:ng novel she could get her hands on. i tried to read most of them too but they all kind of blurred together after a while. i definitely need to fin ...more
Lindsay Nichols
Sep 15, 2011 Lindsay Nichols rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, stng
The days I do laundry, I like to bring a book with me. It's usually something I haven't read in a long time, or something that I know it doesn't matter if I don't happen to finish it in a timely manner because I try to get laundry done once a week.

So this week I've decided it's time to give into my inner geek and connect with my younger, Trekkie self, and read my old ST:NG novels. (Ones that feature Data were always my favourites!)

Hooray for laundry days...you've let me rediscover Trek!
Michael
Jun 29, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was the other Star Trek novel I recently reread, that I remembered from when I was a kid (the first was Imzadi).

I think I have a problem where it's harder for me to picture characters and scenes in books than it is for most people. These books are nice because I know what everything and everyone is supposed to look and sound like. Reading this book is a lot like watching an episode of the show. Unfortunately, in this case it's a season two episode. But it's still fun.
Dorian
Nov 04, 2012 Dorian rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This was my first time reading one of the novels based on the Star Trek: Next Generation T.V. series and I was pleasantly surprised. It was entertaining and well written, featuring my favorite character (Data) in the way all NG-ers have always wanted to see: Human. I won't write in spoilers, but this novel fits right into the saga of Next Generation, and I think that even if someone has never seen an episode, it can still be appreciated as a good sci-fi read.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 15, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A criminally under-rated "Star Trek" novel, that is just about as epic as anything ever published in the range. The exploration of Data becoming human causes all sorts of unexpected complications (from intimate to galactic), and it's written with a great deal of sensitivity, sensuality, and emotional depth. It really deserves far more exposure than it receives...and it's a beautiful follow up to "The Measure of a Man" from the second season.
André
Feb 17, 2008 André rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Lovisa
Jan 16, 2013 Lovisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Did not like it as much as survivors. It was well written but too heartbreaking. I actually found it hard to concentrate on the dialogue, I was just waiting for the impending doom to be honest. I think I will go back and read it again at a later time, I'll probably appreciate it more then.
Angela
Oct 14, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one focuses on Data. He has a few missions, and in one of them becomes human. There are some very nice touches while he explores the concept. It feels like a 3 parter from the tv series, if you like Data then you should read this book.
K
Nov 23, 2013 K rated it really liked it
Excellent TNG book. Characters were similar to how they behaved on the show! My only gripe was I did not get the dislike of Data from Pulaski that she had for him in the show.
Anna
Oct 24, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, re-read
One of my favorites from my teen years. Haven't read it in a long time. Some of it felt flat, but overall it was an interesting look into the mind of Data.
Kathleen Jerome
Jul 14, 2012 Kathleen Jerome rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Very good book. I loved hearing about Datas experiences as a human, even if it was only a temporary condition or an illusion.

Cor
Sep 15, 2013 Cor rated it liked it
Decent story; points off for an aggravating portion wherein the author repeats a couple chapters.
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 Drew added it
Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation) by Jean Lorrah (1990)
Arlene Allen
Jun 10, 2011 Arlene Allen rated it liked it
I never did learn about those tv tie ins.....
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
Jean Lorrah is a science fiction and fantasy author. She has produced several Star Trek novels and often collaborated with Jacqueline Lichtenberg. Her most recent work with Lichtenberg is on the Sime - Gen Universe. Her fantasy series The Savage Empire, from the 1980s, is mostly solo work. She is also a professor of English at Murray State University and received her PhD from Florida State Univers ...more
More about Jean Lorrah...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)