Promethea, Vol. 3

Promethea, Vol. 3 (Promethea #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,322 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Issues 13-18.
Published July 24th 2003 by Wildstorm (first published February 2002)

Ryan
Moore's interest in the occult takes over the book, and its quality suffers a great deal as a result. The "plot" still exists in some form, as Sophie travels up the kabalistic tree of creation, but it is second to Moore's attempt to synthesize Egyptian, Judaic, Roman, Greek, Norse, Christian, etc. mythologies into a complete system for understanding the world. It really starts to fall into the morass of new age mysticism and hippie simple-mindedness, complete with faux-insightful comments such a...more
Federiken Masters
Oct 08, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Todo
Igual de interesante, original, perturbador, bien dibujado, bien escrito y rompemoldes que los anteriores, pero los pasa principalmente por dos detalles no menores:
Uno, que nunca antes había tenido que hacer trampa para pasar de hoja hasta la página doble en la que Promethea y Barbara se quedan charlando en un bucle infinito.
Dos, nunca antes un Dios me había mirado directo a los ojos. La experiencia fue tan fascinante como terrorífica.
Ahora, a rezar porque los dos tomos que quedan caigan en mis...more
James
Moore's exploration of magic continues, although this volume splits his storyline into two parallel threads. One takes Promethea, our Wonder Woman-inspired heroine on a Kaballah-inspired exploration of the afterlife. The other sees a former Promethea return to Earth for some sword-swinging action.

Both parts privilege the concept over the storytelling, although the imbalance is obviously more extreme in the former. The explorations of the afterlife have some clever bits, but, ironically, despite...more
Summer
I actually liked this a lot more than when I first read it. A lot of readers dropped Promethea at this point because of the endless tarot/kabbalah/etc. references , but it's not supposed to be a superhero comic. It's supposed to be a spiritual and literary allegory, and it's extremely well-constructed.
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de Gianco para su blog, ciudadano Pop:

Los Mejores Comics de la Década PARTE 3 - Series Continuas
#4: Promethea - Alan Moore y JH Williams III (WILDSTORM)

Si creen que Promethea solo fue un remedo de la Mujer Maravilla, lo más probable es que solo hayan leído los primeros diez números. En ese caso, les recomendaría retomar el viaje y es que el desarrollo de la serie se vuelva una explosión imaginativa, llevando a la protagonista de ser una versión sofi...more
Bayandur
Promethea goes even worse, even more boring and even more 'newage'. Actually, as someone not lacking knowledge of stuff Moore bound into his comic, I feel I could comment.
First of all, if Cabalistic Tree of Life can be thought as a way to look over creation, it has COMPLETELY NOTHING TO DO WITH EGYPTIAN, ROMAN AND NORSE GODS. Alan, you look like someone who looks at a fruit-fly through a microscope and hopes to see Moon's craters. And those reminders of overall higher God/Godhead, and the sentim...more
Julian
Promethea three keeps up the quality of the two preceding instalments, while entering into whole new realms. First of all, the art work continues to be superb, becoming even more complex than before. Thus we have a double page spread where the narrative takes place around a Moebius band, and can be read starting from any point on the band, and others which are circular and work in either direction. Moreover, reflecting the shifts in the narrative from one realm to another, the style of the art s...more
Tobey
Welcome to my review of Promethea Volume 3, or Why I Know More About the Kabbalah Than Most Rural North Carolinian Baptists.

Issues 13-23 of Promethea are basically Alan Moore’s illustrated TED talk about the history, symbols, and philosophy of magic. Each issue has maybe 4 or 5 pages of Sophie’s friend Stacia fighting crime back on Earth while channeling the most militant incarnation of Promethea. The rest of the time we follow Sophie/Promethea and the newly deceased previous wielder of Promethe...more
Angel
Jun 08, 2010 Angel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alan Moore fans, readers of myth, mysticism, etc.
Sophie's adventures as Promethea continue as she goes deeper into the Immateria. Meanwhile, there is a replacement back on Earth, but she is a bit more aggressive. Only reason I did not give this five stars is that this particular volume is a bit heavy on the Kabbalah and mystical references. I find them interesting, but Moore does lay them a bit thick at times. I think some readers may not be as interested as I am. Like previous volumes, this is one I will probably have to reread just to get al...more
Serge Pierro
Sadly, the third volume in the series continues the downward trend started with the second volume. Although the artwork by J.H. Williams III and Mick Gray continues to be excellent, Moore seems to be caught up in his mystical babbling and forgetting to move the plot forward. Seeing as this is the middle of the series, I'm hoping that volumes four and five pick up on the promise hinted at in volume one and finishes with a flourish. As usual, Todd Klein's lettering is outstanding thoughout.
D.M.
This volume of the Promethea collected editions contains issues 13-18 of the series, and is almost entirely devoted to Promethea's journey into the Beyond to find her predecessor Barbara and then help her find her late husband Steve. Needless to say, we learn alot on the way, about Barbara, about Sophie, about Promethea and exploring the Kabbalah, its worlds and its paths. Meanwhile, strange things are going on back in the 'real world.'
It's a beautiful run of books, as Williams, Gray and Cox off...more
Patrick Artazu
The "Promethea" series is less a story and more an illustrated primer on the history and symbolism of magic, at least as far as volume 3. An additional thread on the history of comics and pulp magazines seems to have been dropped after the first book. To get the maximum out of "Promethea" you have got to want to be a real magician, and BE SERIOUS about it!! Otherwise, the lack of a regular narrative might leave you wondering why you're troubling yourself to learn about so esoteric, and probably...more
Adam
An inane, pedantic tour of obnoxious mysticism lost in its tone of vapid, glib smugness. Almost the whole of it consists of the characters providing superficial, obvious, insipid explanations of what's occurring; if a book is going to spend its entire length explaining some mystical or philosophical system (rather than exploring it in some interesting narrative or formal way—no, the gimmicky layouts don't count), I want it to give me the depths and breadths of that system, rather than leading me...more
Didi
In Bk. 3, Sophie Bangs leaves her friend, Stacia, in the 'real world' to find her mentor, Barbara Shelley in the Immateria. Shelley is searching for her husband there. She thought she'd found him on the Terraces of Cruelty. But she tells Sophie, "Oh, he's just how I remember. That's the problem...The real Steve, he was so unpredictable but it's like a recording, an echo...a shade. Having just seen Inception and heard the last speech that the main character, Dom, tells his wife, Mal, makes me won...more
Ryan
Sophie leaves Earth to journey through the Tree of Life with Barbara, and leaves her friend Stacia behind as Earth's new Promethea. Stacia takes a bit more of an extreme view of her duties than Sophie did (something that no doubt seemed more topical when this was coming out than it does now).

I'm not at all well-versed in Kabbalah, so I got lost along the way a few times, but there were lots of pretty pictures to keep me distracted until I got back on track, and Moore continues to do some intere...more
One Flew
Alan Moore's series of superhero mysticism continues to entertain. Parts of the story start to drag as Sophie makes her way through the higher realms, but this is easily made up for by Alan's constant experimenting with the form of the graphic novel and storytelling, plus the exceptional artwork.

While everybody else in the industry is busy writing tales of people in gaudy outfits beating the crap out of each other, Alan Moore is writing on a completely different level. He is easily the most tale...more
Nov 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read the first ones first!
Recommended to Jennifer by: Dan Renfroe
Shelves: comics
This series is making my brain hurt. I've never read a comic so literate and so based in philosophy, religion, mysticism, oh goodness he just throws in the whole kitchen sink.

You tell me how to read a comic that literally includes an infinity loop as a two page spread. Now really.

I am still adoring this series, but I may need to read it a few more times to catch a bit more. Simple enough for a child to get the plot- but layers upon layers of meaning to be uncovered. What a glorious headache.
Caroline
Just for working "Munchausen by proxy" into a punchline...

Also, it's gorgeous. Even if you're not into the kabbalah and demons and boobs and the planes of existence and imagination and boobs and whatnot, the art is stunning, particularly the covers, where you see echoes of the Beatles, Maxfield Parrish, 60s acid-rock posters, etc.

As an aside, the whole series reminds me of Tim Minchin's song "Confessions." Find it on Youtube, it's great. (Yes, another bit of art that is not for kids.)
Alejandro
Interesting volume three. I liked a lot the whole chromatic scheme in the issues inside of the TPB. Obviously it will start with blues since this is something important for Alan Moore and he did some similar stuff on Swamp Thing. Also, it was good to see the rest of colors like green, gold, and red. And you can appreciate that the intensity of the colors are increasing on each story. A little of development of the replacement Promethea left on Earth and some new interesting characters.
Ian
I'm so undecided on this series as a whole. At times I find the artwork and page layouts brilliant, the dialogue fun and unique. But issue after issue of the same "let's go on a symbolic journey through all the dualities of man!" get frustratingly dull. At its best it stands with Grant Morrison's The Invisibles (for its jaw-dropping off-the-wall inventiveness), but it's hard to deny that Mike Carey's Unwritten is pretty much the same concept but way way more fun.
Mel
This was without a doubt the best of the Promethea books I've read. I was a little put off by the Tarot history of the last book. But this one more than made up for it. It had me in lots of tears at one point as it was so sweet and sad. But it was a lovely portrayal of the symbolism of magic and the things you have to go through and the way life is. There were also fun parts with a new promethea who was quite violent. I'm now looking forward to the next two books.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Promethea #13-18. Promethea leaves the Earthly sphere and journeys into the afterlife to find Barbara while Stacia and Grace become the Promethea of Earth. This is where Promethea starts to get really weird. The book for the most part becomes a book of philosophy as Promethea and Barbara begin travelling through the spheres of existence. The art is still great and the story telling is good, but don't expect a lot of action.
Hannah  Messler
Y'know, sometimes you feel dumb coz you're like "Man I like Alan Moore or whatever but the art in From Hell suuuucks, wtf" but then your friend is like "No you are not dumb, that art suuuuucks" and THEN you get to book three in Promethea and the art is so fucking good that you forgive Alan Moore whatever transgressions he may have committed in the past re: ill-advised illustrators selection. OH MAN YOU GUYS PROMETHEA IS SO GOOD.
Stephen Theaker
To be frank I found this slightly hard going, not something I've often said of an Alan Moore book. It reminded me of the second arc of The Invisibles in that way - important for the series, no doubt, but not the series at its best. Having said that, I'll probably feel completely differently once I've read the rest of the storyline and all the magical kaballah nonsense in this one gets paid off.
Lady Entropy
By volume three, you're deeply into mystical\hermetic territory and leave the whole superheroing behind you. Travellers, be warned.

It's a difficult, painful reading, but it's great all the same. Anything that's worth it is.

This is no doubt the most dense of the three books, maybe because it's the centre but I'm glad again I finally bought these books.
Ako
This series is pretty much a collection of Alan Moore's belief about the power of imagination, story, magic, and well, tarot. If you're not really into the subject, please grab another book. Me myself got kinda bored (read: didn't have no clues) in the book 3-4, when he explained about every single path in tarot. But the ending and the idea is just marvelous.
Keith
Dear god I forgot from the first time I read this, but this is the book where the series goes from WEIRD to BEAUTIFUL to PERFECT. I fucking love this series. I'm not sure if it's always true, but this may be my most favorite comic series of all time. And if on occasion I change my mind about that, I'm telling you right now that I am wrong.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Its terribly ambitious in trying to squeeze several centuries of esoteric knowledge into such a small comic book, i almost feel its too much. But the artwork is a delight, and the side jokes keep me coming back for more, like the "Weeping Gorilla Comix" and those 'Science Heroes' the '5 Swell Guys'.
Wolverina
Too much creepy gender essentialism in its magic and not enough feminist enquiry/exploration for me.

Which is a shame.
Felicity
Jan 21, 2008 Felicity rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Felicity by: Joss Whedon (via Buffy commentary track)
The series continues to be beautiful graphically and intriguing narratively. A few big surprises, and enjoyable. The metaphysics of the deep places of the Universe are somewhat leavened by happenings back home in substantial New York. Sometimes overly didactic, but the pictures help.
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • Global Frequency Vol. 2: Detonation Radio  (Global Frequency, #2)

Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egypt...more
More about Alan Moore...
Watchmen V for Vendetta Batman: The Killing Joke The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 From Hell