Start by marking “Promethea: Book Five of the Apocalyptic Series (Promethea, #5)” as Want to Read:
Promethea: Book Five of the Apocalyptic Series (Promethea, #5)

Promethea: Book Five of the Apocalyptic Series (Promethea #5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  3,065 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
University student Sophie Bangs has buried the immense power of PROMETHEA deep inside her, hiding from government agents, but now she must once more release that power and bring Armageddon to friends, foes and the world!

Reprints issues 26-32 of the monthly comic series Promethea.
Published October 1st 2005 by Wildstorm (first published April 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Promethea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promethea

Damon
Feb 10, 2017 Damon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The story is painfully slow and boring. A lot of detail tarot/cabala on nearly every page that is laborious and boring. BORING.
Alejandro
Jul 22, 2013 Alejandro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How hard to rate this final book in the Promethea series, but at the same time I had the advantage of having read "Tom Strong" and "America's Best" comics, so I could link the events with what happened here. Honestly, for people who only read the "Promethea" series, they will be way clueless at the beginning and the end of the book. Since, if only you have read "Tom Strong", you will be familiar with the character and his unusual family, and also the whole "end of the world" deal, I understood i ...more
RB
Jun 10, 2016 RB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alan Moore looks over, from his computer, at the reader with a hidden grin in the finale of his "Promethea" series that, while, of course, it had to end here, has had me in a sort of depression for a couple days now, knowing any further adventures in this universe are over. The last volume follows on from the last and shows the reader what the end of the world looks like--in metaphysical and physical sense. This big idea opens the gates for a lot of crazy, from the artwork, to the resurgence of ...more
Matt
Jun 06, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I honestly think the ending of this series was one of the most mind bending pieces of reality blurring literature I've ever read. No, I'll go further. It's one of the most mind bending pieces of reality blurring literature that has ever been published. Reading this, along with Borges' Labyrinths, absolutely changed my view on what literature can do. The slow gradual progression through the Occultist, Kabbalistic adventure of the earlier volumes, to this, the 'Godhead' volume, felt to me like bei ...more
Adam
Sep 28, 2007 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This series by Alan Moore and JH Williams has been one of my favorite comics ever and this final collection is no different.

The previous volumes were guided introductions to magic and the kabbalah. This last volume sees Promethea presiding over the Apocalypse while the government and a a super-team try and stop her. Moore's vision of the end of the world is actually quite uplifting and inspiring; probably not something you ever expected to read.

As with the whole series, JH Williams' and Mick Gra
Jen
Sep 16, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mind blowers, revelationers, apocalyptic spiritualists
WOW!! That's... all... just... WOW!! I think my mind blew a gasket reading this final volume. It's just so true! This is it... our life... it's happening now... and it's our story to tell!! And nothing's stopping us but our own imagination's limits!! I bawled my eyes out, and then vowed to start doing everything I ever wanted to do, right that minute!!

Then I watched some bad reality TV... so umm... guess my wand (will) and sword (strength) need a little discipline. ;)

I wouldn't convert to Kabbal
Jedi JC Daquis
Dec 20, 2012 Jedi JC Daquis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Promethea has finally delivered the end of the world. (view spoiler) I may not have taken drugs but the last chapter art is obviously drug-induced. Hehe. With an unconventional story but nonetheless a straightforward plot, the whole Promethea series is an exciting and magical trip.
Keith
This run seemed bolted on to the main plot line which, IMO, was over at the end of volume 4 (issue 25). For those who are reading for their interest in magick and qabala, rather than for Alan Moore fandom, you can safely stop there and skip this one.
Emily
Oct 11, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sandman fans
Holy...

Alan Moore is a genius, yeah yeah we know.
But have you read Promethea? This series has it all, Superheroes, mystical quests, the Apocalypse. I mean THIS is why we read: To be taken to another level of insight, bringing us closer to humanity. Right?

Read it.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Promethea, Vol. 5 (Promethea #5), Alan Moore, J.H. Williams III, Mick Gray
Mark
Apr 05, 2017 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, there was quite a long gap between reading Book 4 and Book 5, as the library didn't have the last volume on the shelves for awhile.
With "Promethea", Alan Moore has written the most metaphysical graphic novel series ever created. Delving into such heavy topics as the nature of human consciousness and our perception of reality, to the very nature of time and the origins of religion.
While this is all very thought-provoking, it sometimes doesn't make for the most entertaining of stories. Bu
Jen
Jan 16, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to put my feelings about this book into words? First off, if I could give it 4.5 stars, I would. I wouldn't call it "amazing", but it's given me enough to think about that I want to say more than "really liked it".

Second, I'm not sure how to describe the mystical psychobabble that takes up most of the last 1/3 of the series. On the one hand, it was kind of nice to have a superheroine who wasn't just fighting Bad Guy du Jour, but on the other, it just felt like endless exposition and no story
Corto Maltese
So Moore has finally lost it.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against using mystic beliefs to tell or to structure a story. I found Phillip K. Dicks idea to let the I-Ging decide which way a story goes, to be a brilliant experiment.
I just don't like being force-fed a stew of esoteric belief systems with the occasional mushroom here and there. Moore doesn't leave even the smallest room for ironic distance, so I can't shake the feeling he really beliefs in all that stuff to be the gospel truth.
Chris
Nov 22, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should've liked this one: Alan Moore + cool combination of ancient mythologies + killer art. Sadly, the stunning drawings are all that's worthwhile here - Promethea is crushed under the weight of Moore's worst tendencies: pages upon pages of masturbatory mysticism, some really weird/gross sex scenes, and aimless plotting.

The story itself (college student Sophie Bangs becomes the reincarnation of a mythical goddess whose destiny is to bring about the end of the world) should have really been a l
Matt Harris
May 31, 2013 Matt Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant meta-conclusion to the 30 episodes of Promethea: Alan Moore's superheroine come to simultaneously save and destroy the world. Firmly connected in the real world, yet floating through it irreverently with fantastic disregard for convention, this comic is quite the magical trail, tipping its hat to Jung, Crowley, Heisenberg, Hofstadter, other brilliant thinkers. All these people including Moore managed to synthesise new elements from older traditions, Moore has a lot of fun doing so.

I'v
Jason Bootle
My friend Matt Harris sums it up rather well in his own review but what I will add to it is that this has been a very enjoyable series, Williams artwork in particular a revelation and perfect mind meld to the words of Moore. And given the world events going on at the time of reading (Brexit, Trump, ISIS, shootings, etc) this certainly made the real world feel like Armageddon was/is fast approaching.
Serge Pierro
For a series that had such great potential at the start, it ends somewhat decently, but failed to deliver with the volumes in between. I had so hoped that this would have been Moore's "Sandman", but in the end it was nothing more than his mystic babbling… It seemed to be more of a recollection of an acid trip - than a story.

For me, the main interest of the series was the outstanding artwork by J.H. Williams III and Mick Gray. The art was consistently brilliant throughout, and the page designs
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Feather by: Lo mismo
Alucinantemente impresionante e impresionantemente alucinante. Escriba lo que escriba seguro me quede corto, más con el sueño que tengo encima. El último capítulo casi merece 5 estrellas por sí solo, nomás que termino amarreteando en el total por cuestiones técnico-circunstanciales, y porque le encontré un par de pifies a la versión española. Cuando pueda le escribo una reseña más elaborada y toda la bola. Pero según Promethea, ya lo hice, o siempre estaré por hacerlo. Así que a fin de cuentas n ...more
Sofia
Sep 05, 2011 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sofia by: André
I really liked this series. The themes might not be for everyone, but then again, nothing is. If nothing else, it's thought-provoking and very effective (not to mention beautiful) as a graphic novel. The final issue is pure genius. Highly recommended.
Kayenne
Jan 21, 2008 Kayenne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this whole series runs a great fantasy for me, but alan moore really drops it in the end. basically the character of promethea loses her voice and you are suddenly just reading alan moore's philosophical masturbation...
Jamie Sigal
Mar 22, 2017 Jamie Sigal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That warm feeling and smile that comes from getting exactly what you wanted out of an Alan Moore epic - Promethea exceeded my expectations on all fronts.
D.M.
Jun 25, 2014 D.M. rated it really liked it
There is something about the showman in Alan Moore (and there is a LOT of showman in him) which seems to drive him to end his stories with a bang. When I say 'a bang,' I don't mean a circus-grade tooting of horns and rattling of drums, but an earth-shattering, cataclysmic BANG of the Big variety. Look no further than his prior extended works like Swamp Thing, Marvel-/Miracleman or Watchmen for evidence. Promethea is no different, and has, in fact, told us we were heading for an apocalypse for ab ...more
Sophie
Mar 24, 2009 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

My mind ... is kind of blown. Scratch that, it is blown. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

In the beginning, I was torn between giving this 4 or 5 stars, but by the third volume I knew it could only be 5 because this is amazing.

"Promethea."
An imaginary fictional character who manifests in reality through the artists and writers that tell her story. Obviously, the name's a feminine version of Prometheus, which means "forethought"... which means "imagination". [...:]
Imagination... tumbling, spinning... i
Ted
In the end, this book series is truly amazing. It's a wonder that it's not analyzed and written about nearly as much as 'Watchmen' is. It takes the art and storytelling of comics to a whole new level, and utilizes the strengths and qualities of the media in a way that (to my knowledge) no other book does.

Volume 5 is interesting to me because it expands the world of Promethea in a way that none of the previous books really did (even though they explain the universe), in that it brings in Tom Stro
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arenas
V.

En un alarde de propia egolatría, el barbudo introduce en la historia un personaje de otra obra suya, provocando un cross-over imprevisto, pero, a fin de cuentas, útil y necesario. Gracias a la ayuda de Tom Strong es que Promethea puede aplacar a la organización secreta dispuesta en su contra y a los otros cuasi-villanos. Aunque es seguro que ella sola podría haberse encargado del asunto: tomándose más tiempo, claro está.

Ese es precisamente el mayor problema: ya no hay tiempo. O, mejor dicho,
Hans
Dec 26, 2010 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is definitely Alan Moore's Theological Treatise. Part of me is glad that he did it and another part is sad because something is always lost when you try to explain that which is unexplainable. Alan Moore of all people should know that. I believe he really put himself out there by making this series because it is obvious that it is some of his deeper held beliefs on reality and most people will simply dismiss it as just another fantastical comic book.

I don't think it is possible to even try
Jesse Field
Mar 19, 2011 Jesse Field rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I - I hadn't realized this would be so intimate, so personal. We're all behaving so oddly, everything's so near the surface..."

Sophie's sentimentality grows less annoying in this finale, when friends and family all take the stage for a collective trip. It's endearing to anyone who has gathered with close friends and loved ones to share catalytic compounds ("drugs" is the right word, of course, but too clinical for such a context).

"Pentagon studies in the 1980s demonstrated that comic strip nar
Puck Cratree
Sep 02, 2016 Puck Cratree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I'm not the biggest comic book nerd by any means - more of just a dabbler - but I must say Alan Moore's "Promethea" is by far the greatest comic book I have ever read. Beyond that it is a powerful narrative, hoisted between interesting characters and concepts and insanely more meaningful meta-commentary than dead pool crassly breaking the fourth wall. Beautiful, lush, and detailed art are fully utilized as a vehicle to depict the complex, esoteric sephiroth of the qabbalistic tree of life and ...more
Joe Higgins
Alan Moore has become a lover of meta fiction in his long career, and this sometimes leads to precious, overwrought, didactic writing on his part, of which this series is pretty much the apex. Not that it's not a joy or even an inspiration to read. Comic book post-modernism- who'd a thunk it? This one is about a Super Hero/Goddess of Storytelling. Hey, the story practically wrote itself.

To be fair, this began life as a monthly newsstand comic, which I began picking up back in the 90's, but never
Mel
This was without a doubt my favourite of the Promethea books. I was a little put off to start with. Everything was dingy and it seemed like they were in the real world not the Promethea world of science heros and weeping gorilla and it was all a bit confusing. Then Tom Strong showed up and I was confused all over again. (Tom Strong I tried to read but gave up after a few issues as I just found it terribly dull and was the reason for me realising as much as Moore is my favourite living writer I j ...more
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus
  • Global Frequency, Vol. 1: Planet Ablaze
  • The Dreamer
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

Promethea (5 books)
  • Promethea, Vol. 1
  • Promethea, Vol. 2
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • Promethea, Vol. 4

“Consciousness, unprovable by scientific standards, is forever, then, the impossible phantom in the predictable biologic machine, and your every thought a genuine supernatural event. Your every thought is a ghost, dancing.” 33 likes
“The only reality we can ever truly know is that of our perceptions, our own consciousness, while that consciousness, and thus our entire reality, is made of nothing but signs and symbols. Nothing but language.
Even God requires language before conceiving the Universe. See Genesis: “In the beginning was the Word.”
28 likes