A Newbery Halloween

A Newbery Halloween

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A collection of thirteen scary stories by Newbery Medalists Beverly Cleary, Madeleine L'Engle, Paul Fleishman, Eleanor Estes, and E. L. Konigsbury, among others, provides thrills and chills, ghosts and witches, to make any Halloween perfectly spooky.
Unknown Binding, 182 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Newbery Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Newbery Halloween

Alex Baugh
And last, but not least, is a book that I found in a second hand bookshop that is no longer in print but still easily obtainable:
A Newbery Halloween: a dozen scary stories by Newbery Award-winning authors, selected by Martin H. Greenberg and Charles G. Waugh
This collection of Halloween stories are made up of short stories and excerpts from novels all by authors who may already be familiar to and even a favorite of kids. Beverly Cleary begins the fun with a story about Ramona the Pest in "The Bad...more
Jess Michaelangelo
Okay, seriously, this was my favorite Halloween book as a kid. I could not wait to pull this from the library shelf every October. That being said, I couldn't remember too much about this collection, so I thought I would pull it off the shelf for another time.

This turned out to be quite a fun, spooky collection of Halloween stories for younger readers. Nothing was too scary, but there were some that did give me the chills while reading them at night. This would definitely be perfect for reading...more
Daniel
I was mildly disappointed with this book because I was hoping to read some short fiction by some of the best children's/young adult authors in the business. Instead, these were mostly cuttings from novels -- a generally from novels that I had already read.

However, for the reader who might not be familiar with these authors, or someone looking for shorter works with a Halloween theme, this is probably a nice place to look. It's hard to go wrong with a line-up that includes: Elizabeth Coatsworth,...more
Joanna
Loved some of the stories, like Madeiline L'engle and Beverly Cleary's. Not a fan of most of them. It was a fun fall read, though.
This book is promoted as "A dozen scary stories by Newbery Award-winning authors." The part about the authors is correct; the part about scary stories couldn't be further from the truth. (Which work out very well for my crew!) I brought this book home from the library, announcing that we could read one Halloween story every night and my children's enthusiasm was lacking to say the least. After reading the first short story by Beverly Clearly, it became something they looked forward to each day....more
Ashley
I picked this up at the library and have been reading one story a night to the children, leading up to Halloween. I wasn't sure if my 6 year old would sit through some of them but I needn't have worried. Both my 8 year-old and my 6 year-old LOVE the stories, and my 3 year-old will even sit through a couple of them. Wonderful collection by some of my favorite writers, including Eleanor Estes and Beverly Cleary. I'm now looking for the Newbery Christmas in preparation for the upcoming holiday seas...more
Kathy
I'm not wild about this collection, but the inclusion of "Poor Little Saturday" (a short story by Madeleine L'Engle) makes owning this book worth it. It's a quirky, atmospheric witch story set in a mouldering plantation house in the South. I love the characters so much and wish that this could have been turned into a full-length novel.
JennLynn
Collection of loosely Halloween related stories (some are just about witches). Since I'm not a huge fan of either short stories or Halloween, this wasn't my favourite book - just read it for the season. The excerpts from classic kids' books like the Moffats were the best.
Melissa
I took this book out of the library last October & loved it so much that I bought a used copy online. My new tradition is to read these short stories each Halloween. Very enjoyable, not-so-traditional Halloween fun.
Erin
I've enjoyed reading selections of this to the kids the past couple of weeks. Lydia read them all and told me which ones were not too scary for the younger kids.
Carolyn
I read aloud our favorites of these stories every October. It just wouldn't be Halloween without The Baddest Witch in the World and The Ghost in the Attic.
Joanna
I haven't read all of the stories in here yet, but they are enjoyable selections from many of my favorite young adult authors.
Michelle
these are fun stories from classic children's books like "ramona the pest", etc. the boys are enjoying it.
Kristen Jorgensen
Fun if you want small story's from the Newbery books.
Kate
A must read to get you into the "holiday" spirit!
Lynette Caulkins
Lynette Caulkins marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Gmr
Gmr marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Caryl
Caryl added it
Mar 20, 2014
Gabrielle W.
Gabrielle W. marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Ncimontessori Library
Ncimontessori Library is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Stan
Stan marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman