Return to Eden (West of Eden 3)

Return to Eden (West of Eden #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  870 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The final volume in the majestic, bestselling science fiction trilogy that began with West of Eden and Winter in Eden, this climactic saga depicts the final, decisive battle between humanity and the intelligent ancestors of the dinosaurs.
Published July 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Eden

Andreas
What if dinosaurs had not become extinct, but instead evolved sentience? These sentient dinosaurs have also developed biotech to a certain extent, using non-sentient dinosaur species for various purposes. In the trilogy, the dinosaur civilization founds a colony in America and comes into contact with Stone Age humans. This whole thing could rapidly have descended into sillyness but it is mildly entertaining and thought provoking. The three novels are:

West of Eden
Winter in Eden
Return to Eden

ht...more
Cherie In the Dooryard
This was fine, if not exceptional, ending to the series. It felt a bit scattered and didn't carry the momentum you would expect from a final book, but it tied the themes and storylines up nicely. I would recommend this series, but if you aren't up for all three books, just reading the first would be a satisfactory experience.
Chris Duval
The alt-world details remain interesting, deserving of at least a raised eyebrow, but the book as a whole just doesn't hang together well. Perhaps it's because I read it some time after the previous volume and the novel depends on the emotional tension from the story to date?
Eric
It was OK summer reading. The premise was intriguing and the writing was overall well done. There were slow spots and I had trouble sometimes following the internal logic of the culture of the sentient dinosaurs but, like I said, it was good escapist summer reading.
Антон
Сама книга средняя и даже в какой-то мере скучнее предыдущих двух. Но финал все искупает.
Финал.. и чувство расставания с миром тану и иилан.

Надаске - лучший герой за три тома. И сам, и его история свободного одиночества.
Nigel
I read this when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm giving it 3 stars because I suspect that if I re-read it today I wouldn't be quite so captivated. Good stuff for younger sci-fi fans though.
Bruce
Credible alternate history I think. Had problems following the idea of humans developing from new world primates. Well crafted if a bit choppy and a strong negative criticism of bioengineering.
Marcus Blakeston
More of an extended epilogue to tie up the loose ends in the other two books than a story in its own right.
Beverly
Ahhhh! What can I say? The last of the Eden series. Gosh! I wish there was more to read!!!!!
George
Harry's concepts of biosculpting were ahead of his time
Mike
A completely unique idea that was great fun to contemplate
Devi
A fair to good conclusion to the series.
Rich
Aug 08, 2008 Rich added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the, west, of, eden, saga, 2
The West of Eden Saga #2
Celina
Celina marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Apashchuk
Apashchuk marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sal Dinapoli
Sal Dinapoli marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
April Dykes
April Dykes marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Aug 30, 2014
Readman
Readman marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Rainbow Mars
  • The Black Corridor
  • An Alien Light
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • End of State (Left Behind Political #1)
  • The Light of Other Days
  • Doctor Who: The Highlanders (Target Doctor Who Library, No 90)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G...more
More about Harry Harrison...
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)