Start by marking “Kissing the Rain” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Kevin Brooks

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,242 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Moo Nelson likes to be alone. Overweight and shy, Moo is constantly mocked and bullied by his cruel classmates. He's happiest spending time on a secluded bridge above the highway, watching the cars go by. One day, from his special spot, Moo witnesses a crime that changes his life forever. He sees a car chase and a murder--and suddenly Moo's a celebrity of sorts. The police ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing the Rain

Crystalon Cryer
Kissing the Rain
I thought Kissing the Rain was an uninteresting book. It didn’t catch my attention very well at all; I wasn’t drawn in on the drama. It was okay, but it wouldn’t be the first book that I would pick out in the library. Although, I would recommend this to anyone that is interested in dark and shadowy, yet secretive books. This book was confusing from beginning to the end. I think the author’s purpose was to entertain the reader. (He didn’t do a good job.)
I would say that Vine was
Aaron Vincent
"You don't have to tell a lie to protect people."

"You don't have to tell the truth to hurt people either."

That was one of the most memorable exchanges in one of my favorite tv shows, Kyle XY. From the day I heard that until now, I still use that as my guide whenever I face such difficult dilemmas.

What if the things at stakes are bigger? What if lying or telling the truth means more than protecting and hurting people? It's not an easy choice, is it? That is exactly the choice Mike "Moo" Nelson,
One of my favourite books ever is Lucas so when I found this book at the library I couldn't wait to read it. I was so disappointed. It's not that the plot is bad, its actually interesting but I could not read it. In fact this is one of the only instances where I could not finish a book. I am British, so it wasn't the language or slang used, I just couldn't relate to the characters, the writing style really annoyed me and Moo really irked me. I hated it, and it was probably made all the worse by ...more
This is Moo's story. A fat, unpopular, bullied, 15 year old English kid. Not only is he bullied, but he is criticized, called names and taunted on a daily basis. Moo calls this criticism and abuse "The Rain". Despite having no actual friends, he does have a compatriot of sorts in Brady, another boy at his school who is treated much the way Moo is due to his shortness and poor health.

The book is told in first person narrative from Moo's point of view. It seems very realistic and painfully sad. Hi
Mike Nelson or "Moo" is the narrator and protagonist of this story which is set in a small town in the UK.The story consists of Moo's life after he witnesses something he is not supposed to witness. Moo must deal with two problems in the story, the fact that he is an over weight fifteen year old boy who is bullied in school (Hence the name "Moo), and the police along with everybody else questioning him on what he witnesses.
The plot of the story is some what interesting and mysterious it does no
Shana Kay! Lewis
I liked this book alot! It had a good amount of emotion and I never wanted to put it down. Its a book that never seems to grow old.
Moo Nelson are a fat kid in school where people laughs at him and make funny jokes about him and the only place he found save is on the bridge. The bridge is his secret thinking place where he can sort things out and leave things behind and he goes there everyday to watch the traffic because he found it fascinating to watch different cars heading to different places. One day he witnessed a murder on the bridge and suddenly he had all the attention he wants because people are interested in what h ...more
This book was very different from what I expected it to be. The main character Mike, aka, Moo Nelson is a British 15 year old who is overweight and anti-social. He is constantly picked on by his peers and refers to it as getting "RAINED ON" I thought this was an interesting metaphor for what he was going through. The kids who taunted him were the dark clouds that hovered over him day in and day out. But things change once Moo witnesses a car chases, fight and murder on the highway footbridge he ...more
Moo likes spending time above the busy roadway where he can forget the bullying, teasing, and sucky life he lives and thinks he catches a break when he witnesses a car crash and murder that brings excitement into his life- yet, as you can imagine this accident and murder was done by crazy lunatics who might be out to get Moo as well.

Honestly, I skipped most of the middle. I disliked the all caps, italics, and ellipses that scatter the pages from Moo's thought. And while I understand its signifi
Moo Nelson is always teased and ignored. Only when hem witness a car chase and a murder. Then everyone listens to him.
I didn't get to read the whole book. I didn't understand it. I had very high expectations for this book. The grammar for me was horrible. Some letters that were supposed to be lowercase were uppercase. It is possible that Moo Nelson is just an expresive person. Not to mention that he used bad langue more than once. Maybe I wasn't supposed to read it now. Maybe I have to wait un
Six chapters in: It's not as great as I thought it would be. I mean, the voice is REALLY REALLY REALLY well written, and it pulls you in and makes you want to finish the book. But it's really confusing at times and it's too cliche.
FINISHED: Wow. It gets WWWWWAAAAYYYYYY better. Incredible. I'm so speechless. One thing for sure, I LOVED the ending. Not a happily ever after. It actually left you with things to think about. It left you hanging. Wanting more.
I totally recommend this bo
Nov 11, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
This book was so painful to listen to because of the confusion and depression of the main character. But I felt this was on purpose and that is was so important to listen to his line of thinking and decision making process. (even though this was fiction you could totally imagine all this confusion happening--a little reminiscent of Avi's Nothing But the Truth). The ending leaves you hanging which is just perfect because the plot seems headed for a likely devastating finish. It is up to you, the ...more
Moo Nelson, is fat and gets teased at school for it. The jokes, the insults, the snide laughter, the beatings - all of it he calls the rain. Moo has learned to deal with it, to walk through it with his eyes down. Because after school there is always the bridge - a place where he can watch the cars go by. That is until he sees two speeding cars, a crash, a scuffle and a murder on the bridge.

repetative, slightly boring with a few swear words and very disappointing end. wouldn't really recommend it
This book's writing style is REALLY hard to get used to. It is so informal and I found it too conversational as I feel it got in the way of the story.

The character development was good. I could really feel sorry for the main character (when the writing style wasn't killing it for me).

The ending was a bit frustrating too.

Overall, the book was okay and may appeal more to a reader who likes the writing style. I would recommend people to "try it out" but I imagine that a lot may not finish it.

Hannah Lienert
This book was about a boy named Michael who moved to a new town at about the age of 10 in Great Britain. He moved because his parents had some finical problems, Michael was always a little bit on the chubbier side. Over the years he gained a lot of weight and he was bullied at his new school, soon his classmates came up with a nick name for him, and it was Moo. Moo didn't have maybe friends because of this.... so he often went to a bridge not too far from his house every single day. One day as h ...more
8 Esmeralda Sanchez
Kissing The Rain was an interesting book. Everything from the
characters to the overused slang. I would think that my class would
enjoy reading this book for the main character, ‘Moo’ Nelson, as he
has a witty way of viewing life. He believes he deserves the ‘Rain’
and starts to embrace it. That’s one thing that intrigued me, how a
person can get used to the name-calling, the teasing,the
embarrassment- and be okay with it. I feel that the character
development in this book was nothing short but excelle
I liked the book Kissing The Rain because it taught the important of telling the truth and including all the details from an event I experienced. But on the other hand, it wasn't the best book I have read because it was wrote in a kids view and like every other word was capitalized. But with it being wrote in a kids view it had lots of easy to understand words. It was easy to relate to to a friend.
Andrei Secu
This is a story about Michael Nelson, a teenage boy who has little friends and is overweight. Michael, also known as Moo, is bullied at school. This all changes when he witnesses an accident. The police is at his doorstep questioning him, a known criminal is threatening him, and his worst tormentor at school is protecting him. Michael's world is turned upside down and he doesn't seem to know what to do.
Charmaine Wierzbicki
I love, love, love the characters Kevin Brooks creates. I get a kick out of the London slang his characters use. I learn words I never knew before. Phrases like Fat Arse make me giggle. The kid, Moo, witnesses a crime, and the rest of the plot revolves around his struggle to do the right thing, after he figures out what the "right thing" is. Great read, as always, from Kevin Brooks.
Dec 31, 2009 Abby rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
I usually really like his choppy slang style but this time it was horribly distracting. CAPITALS all the TIME as if WE couldn't GET where the STRESS of the SENTENCE SHOULD be. See?

Also not a story I felt at all emotionally tied to like I usually do with his books. IIt was like a bad Law and Order episode where you know there is going to be a cliff hanger.
Apr 20, 2008 taryn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hmmmmm...
I'm reading this book because I love the publishing company: Push Fiction. They are way into publishing new, bright, cutting-edge authors. Is that you, I'm describing? Kevin Brooks' last novel, Candy was much better, but I think it's being made into a shitty movie.
I never finished this book. That doesn't happen very often. This author wrote a book called "Being" that was great and I just cannot find another of his that is even comparable. After this one I am done looking.
Brinlie Clark
I liked the story line of this book but it had some inappropriate words and I wouldn't reccomend it. Some words were heck, shoot, donkey, dog, darn, so yeh don't read it.
Jul 22, 2008 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Loved this book. It's absolutely amazing. The way he writes it sort of put me off at first, but after I got into it I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to anyone.
Not sure why all the reviews of this book were negative. Kevin Brooks is really a badass when it comes to writing thought-provoking books that are dark as hell.
Samantha Nicholson
This was a bit difficult to read at first due to the heavy British dialect, but it was an intense story! Great book about what bullying can do to someone.
This book is really good. It kept me guessing at what is going to happen next. Its about a kid who lives under a bridge and he witnesses a car chase
Elizabeth Lloyd-stenton
I am really unsure how to rate this book. I read one of Kevin Brooks' other books called 'Martyn Pig' and really enjoyed it so picked this up with reasonably high hopes. The first half of this book was not fun to read. I found it hard going and the writing style made it worse for me, although I can understand it's purpose in setting the tone for the story. However, by the second half, I had found myself much more connected to the protagonist & his cause. The ending was quite clever and defin ...more
No. 1 1 Sep 17, 2015 09:51AM
  • Kerosene
  • Black Mirror
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Light Years
  • wtf
  • Sara's Face
  • Claiming Georgia Tate
  • Rat Life
Kevin Brooks was born in 1959 and grew up in Exeter, Devon, England. He studied Psychology and Philosophy at Birmingham, Aston University in 1980 and Cultural Studies in London in 1983. Kevin Brooks has been in a variety of jobs including: musician, gasoline station attendant, crematorium handyman, civil service clerk, hot dog vendor at the London Zoo, post office clerk, and railway ticket office ...more
More about Kevin Brooks...