Start by marking “Kissing the Rain” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Kevin Brooks

3.32  ·  Rating Details ·  1,321 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Moo Nelson likes to be alone. Overweight and shy, Moo is constantly mocked and bullied by his cruel classmates. He's happiest spending time on a secluded bridge above the highway, watching the cars go by. One day, from his special spot, Moo witnesses a crime that changes his life forever. He sees a car chase and a murder--and suddenly Moo's a celebrity of sorts. The police ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing the Rain

Apr 20, 2008 taryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hmmmmm...
I'm reading this book because I love the publishing company: Push Fiction. They are way into publishing new, bright, cutting-edge authors. Is that you, I'm describing? Kevin Brooks' last novel, Candy was much better, but I think it's being made into a shitty movie.
Nov 11, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
This book was so painful to listen to because of the confusion and depression of the main character. But I felt this was on purpose and that is was so important to listen to his line of thinking and decision making process. (even though this was fiction you could totally imagine all this confusion happening--a little reminiscent of Avi's Nothing But the Truth). The ending leaves you hanging which is just perfect because the plot seems headed for a likely devastating finish. It is up to you, the ...more
Jul 13, 2008 Evan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jul 22, 2008 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Loved this book. It's absolutely amazing. The way he writes it sort of put me off at first, but after I got into it I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to anyone.
Jul 28, 2008 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It just stopped. It was as if there was no ending, as if someone tore out the last few pages.
Oct 29, 2008 Nicademus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is okay for the part I read already
Nov 23, 2008 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting. It made you sympathize with the character and was a real page turner.
Mar 28, 2009 Celestasaurus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Shana Kay! Lewis
I liked this book alot! It had a good amount of emotion and I never wanted to put it down. Its a book that never seems to grow old.
This book was very different from what I expected it to be. The main character Mike, aka, Moo Nelson is a British 15 year old who is overweight and anti-social. He is constantly picked on by his peers and refers to it as getting "RAINED ON" I thought this was an interesting metaphor for what he was going through. The kids who taunted him were the dark clouds that hovered over him day in and day out. But things change once Moo witnesses a car chases, fight and murder on the highway footbridge he ...more
Brinlie Clark
I liked the story line of this book but it had some inappropriate words and I wouldn't reccomend it. Some words were heck, shoot, donkey, dog, darn, so yeh don't read it.
This book is really good. It kept me guessing at what is going to happen next. Its about a kid who lives under a bridge and he witnesses a car chase
May 23, 2009 Bethany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books ever is Lucas so when I found this book at the library I couldn't wait to read it. I was so disappointed. It's not that the plot is bad, its actually interesting but I could not read it. In fact this is one of the only instances where I could not finish a book. I am British, so it wasn't the language or slang used, I just couldn't relate to the characters, the writing style really annoyed me and Moo really irked me. I hated it, and it was probably made all the worse by ...more
Jun 22, 2009 Penny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Moo Nelson, is fat and gets teased at school for it. The jokes, the insults, the snide laughter, the beatings - all of it he calls the rain. Moo has learned to deal with it, to walk through it with his eyes down. Because after school there is always the bridge - a place where he can watch the cars go by. That is until he sees two speeding cars, a crash, a scuffle and a murder on the bridge.

repetative, slightly boring with a few swear words and very disappointing end. wouldn't really recommend it
Samantha Nicholson
This was a bit difficult to read at first due to the heavy British dialect, but it was an intense story! Great book about what bullying can do to someone.
Aug 16, 2009 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Kevin Brooks books but I found this one hard to read.
Andrei Secu
Aug 31, 2009 Andrei Secu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about Michael Nelson, a teenage boy who has little friends and is overweight. Michael, also known as Moo, is bullied at school. This all changes when he witnesses an accident. The police is at his doorstep questioning him, a known criminal is threatening him, and his worst tormentor at school is protecting him. Michael's world is turned upside down and he doesn't seem to know what to do.
This book's writing style is REALLY hard to get used to. It is so informal and I found it too conversational as I feel it got in the way of the story.

The character development was good. I could really feel sorry for the main character (when the writing style wasn't killing it for me).

The ending was a bit frustrating too.

Overall, the book was okay and may appeal more to a reader who likes the writing style. I would recommend people to "try it out" but I imagine that a lot may not finish it.

Sep 29, 2009 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenbooks, for-class
Not sure why all the reviews of this book were negative. Kevin Brooks is really a badass when it comes to writing thought-provoking books that are dark as hell.
Crystalon Cryer
Oct 01, 2009 Crystalon Cryer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kissing the Rain
I thought Kissing the Rain was an uninteresting book. It didn’t catch my attention very well at all; I wasn’t drawn in on the drama. It was okay, but it wouldn’t be the first book that I would pick out in the library. Although, I would recommend this to anyone that is interested in dark and shadowy, yet secretive books. This book was confusing from beginning to the end. I think the author’s purpose was to entertain the reader. (He didn’t do a good job.)
I would say that Vine was
Oct 16, 2009 Joleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never finished this book. That doesn't happen very often. This author wrote a book called "Being" that was great and I just cannot find another of his that is even comparable. After this one I am done looking.
Jan 08, 2010 Isabel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandon-ship
Moo Nelson is always teased and ignored. Only when hem witness a car chase and a murder. Then everyone listens to him.
I didn't get to read the whole book. I didn't understand it. I had very high expectations for this book. The grammar for me was horrible. Some letters that were supposed to be lowercase were uppercase. It is possible that Moo Nelson is just an expresive person. Not to mention that he used bad langue more than once. Maybe I wasn't supposed to read it now. Maybe I have to wait un
Dec 31, 2009 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
I usually really like his choppy slang style but this time it was horribly distracting. CAPITALS all the TIME as if WE couldn't GET where the STRESS of the SENTENCE SHOULD be. See?

Also not a story I felt at all emotionally tied to like I usually do with his books. IIt was like a bad Law and Order episode where you know there is going to be a cliff hanger.
Charmaine Wierzbicki
I love, love, love the characters Kevin Brooks creates. I get a kick out of the London slang his characters use. I learn words I never knew before. Phrases like Fat Arse make me giggle. The kid, Moo, witnesses a crime, and the rest of the plot revolves around his struggle to do the right thing, after he figures out what the "right thing" is. Great read, as always, from Kevin Brooks.
Jan 26, 2010 Qian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moo Nelson are a fat kid in school where people laughs at him and make funny jokes about him and the only place he found save is on the bridge. The bridge is his secret thinking place where he can sort things out and leave things behind and he goes there everyday to watch the traffic because he found it fascinating to watch different cars heading to different places. One day he witnessed a murder on the bridge and suddenly he had all the attention he wants because people are interested in what h ...more
Aaron Vincent
Jul 21, 2010 Aaron Vincent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-ya
"You don't have to tell a lie to protect people."

"You don't have to tell the truth to hurt people either."

That was one of the most memorable exchanges in one of my favorite tv shows, Kyle XY. From the day I heard that until now, I still use that as my guide whenever I face such difficult dilemmas.

What if the things at stakes are bigger? What if lying or telling the truth means more than protecting and hurting people? It's not an easy choice, is it? That is exactly the choice Mike "Moo" Nelson,
Jan 19, 2011 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male, mystery, odd
Moo likes spending time above the busy roadway where he can forget the bullying, teasing, and sucky life he lives and thinks he catches a break when he witnesses a car crash and murder that brings excitement into his life- yet, as you can imagine this accident and murder was done by crazy lunatics who might be out to get Moo as well.

Honestly, I skipped most of the middle. I disliked the all caps, italics, and ellipses that scatter the pages from Moo's thought. And while I understand its signifi
Dec 19, 2013 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book Kissing The Rain because it taught the important of telling the truth and including all the details from an event I experienced. But on the other hand, it wasn't the best book I have read because it was wrote in a kids view and like every other word was capitalized. But with it being wrote in a kids view it had lots of easy to understand words. It was easy to relate to to a friend.
Feb 04, 2014 Hermis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Nelson or "Moo" is the narrator and protagonist of this story which is set in a small town in the UK.The story consists of Moo's life after he witnesses something he is not supposed to witness. Moo must deal with two problems in the story, the fact that he is an over weight fifteen year old boy who is bullied in school (Hence the name "Moo), and the police along with everybody else questioning him on what he witnesses.
The plot of the story is some what interesting and mysterious it does no
This is Moo's story. A fat, unpopular, bullied, 15 year old English kid. Not only is he bullied, but he is criticized, called names and taunted on a daily basis. Moo calls this criticism and abuse "The Rain". Despite having no actual friends, he does have a compatriot of sorts in Brady, another boy at his school who is treated much the way Moo is due to his shortness and poor health.

The book is told in first person narrative from Moo's point of view. It seems very realistic and painfully sad. Hi
No. 1 1 Sep 17, 2015 09:51AM
  • Light Years
  • Love, Meg
  • Splintering
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Black Mirror
  • Crusader
  • The Parallel Universe of Liars
  • What Mr. Mattero Did
  • wtf
Kevin Brooks was born in 1959 and grew up in Exeter, Devon, England. He studied Psychology and Philosophy at Birmingham, Aston University in 1980 and Cultural Studies in London in 1983. Kevin Brooks has been in a variety of jobs including: musician, gasoline station attendant, crematorium handyman, civil service clerk, hot dog vendor at the London Zoo, post office clerk, and railway ticket office ...more
More about Kevin Brooks...