Start by marking “The Sons” as Want to Read:
The Sons

The Sons

I have only one request," Kafka wrote to his publisher Kurt Wolff in 1913. "'The Stoker,' 'The Metamorphosis,' and 'The Judgment' belong together, both inwardly and outwardly. There is an obvious connection among the three, and, even more important, a secret one, for which reason I would be reluctant to forego the chance of having them published together in a book, which m ...more
Published August 5th 1989 by Schocken (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sons

The Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanNative Son by Richard WrightFathers and Sons (Awake) by Gordon AndrewsSons by Pearl S. BuckThe Story of Son by J.R. Ward
Sons
113 books — 6 voters
Fun Home by Alison BechdelThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsPatrimony by Philip RothSwing Low by Miriam ToewsA Quest For Healing by Raymond   Park
Father Memoirs
62 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Tayebe
Apr 11, 2016 Tayebe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own-a-copy
This book is awesome.
The dominant part of these 3 stories is that the protagonists are strangely dependent and they all feel 'love' towards their family and also grotesquely,they accept their bizarre fate and they don't even try to change their strange and miserable conditions. They are banished and they don't feel regretful about it!! But why?
Aren’t they adults? Can't they see their misery?
Well, the answer is NO! They are not adults. They are children who are still controlled by familial relati
FeReSHte
Apr 09, 2016 FeReSHte rated it it was amazing
این طور که در مقدمه ی کتاب اومده کافکا درسال 1913 نامه ای به ناشرش کورت ولف نوشت و ازش خواست تا سه داستان "داوری" ، " آتش انداز" و "مسخ " رو در یک جلد تحت نام پسران منتشر کنه چرا که اعتقاد داشته محتوای این سه داستان یک ارتباط مخفی با هم دارند که در ظاهر مخفی مونده. این خواسته در زمان خودش نادیده گرفته شد. کافکا اصلا نام آشنایی برای اهل ادب نبود و ولف هم کمی بعد به جبهه فرستاده شد. هفتاد و پنج سال بعد این خواسته ی کافکا با افزودن بخش چهارمی با نام " نامه به پدر" عملی شد

ارتباط رازآلودی که کافکا از
Dakota
Mar 21, 2010 Dakota rated it really liked it
It's amazing how Franz Kafka could write so well, even after translations. Having a book that isn't written in the original language is always risky, since some words will lose their meaning in the translating process. But these remained well written after their translations and I liked them a lot.
The only problem I had was with "Letter to His Father". It seemed like every other person's stories about their fathers. All the angst-ridden teenage bullshit but with a better vocabulary. Seeing as h
Gary
Dec 17, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it
I was curious about the "Schocken Kafka Library" and why it's association was unique compared with other Kafka publications.
Here is a link to a very interesting little piece on the Schocken Kafka Library http://www.ideofact.com/archives/0001...

"The Schocken collection is the only collection of Jewish books which escaped the hands of the Nazi's."
Feb 12, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Metamorphosis.

I know how that insect feels...
Dhanaraj Rajan
Aug 17, 2012 Dhanaraj Rajan rated it really liked it
A poignant book on the relationship between a son and his father. Kafka had a tough time with his dad. It is very emotional and highly realistic. Kafka cries and you can hear it.
Frank Costelloe
Mar 19, 2016 Frank Costelloe rated it really liked it
A collection of 4 stories. The Metamorphosis is brilliant. The others are so so.
Boomz
"Letter to His Father" is definitely one of the most visceral writings I've read so far.
Andre
Nov 22, 2014 Andre rated it really liked it
I bought this book to read a different translation of the Metamorphosis and to read a couple of Kafka's other stories. All of these stories have an overarching theme of family.

The first story, "The Judgement," is about a man who decides to tell his father about a letter he wrote to a friend. The father, in disgust, ridicules him and commands him to die by drowning. The son, at hearing this judgement, runs out of the house, down to the bridge and jumps off, drowning himself. I found this story pa
david blumenshine
Jun 30, 2011 david blumenshine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
yeah, i mean, there are some things in this particular stringing together of three specific kafka texts that work differently when complied than by themselves, in a general best-of book, or, as is the case with 'the stoker,' merely a chapter of a novel on its own. everyone knows metamorphosis. or should. and it's glory goes without saying. for whatever reason i hadn't read 'the judgement,' and i am glad i did. the same goes for 'the stoker.' however i had read the letter to his father a few time ...more
Denty One
Dec 26, 2014 Denty One rated it really liked it
Nicholas
May 22, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it
I am unusually drawn to Kafka. He hasn't created single character I like. His stories fill me with a cringing uneasiness. Yet, I find them compelling, and often suffer myself to read them.

This compilation contains a particularly good set of stories: The Judgment, The Stoker, The Metamorphosis, and Letter to his Father.

Of these, my long-time favorite is The Judgment. I find something about the mildly unorthodox plot and the terrible comeuppance very satisfying.

I just wish Karl Rossmann, the main
Tristan Greeno
Mar 28, 2013 Tristan Greeno rated it it was amazing
I thought "The Judgement" was actually rather thought provoking, even if it was a little out of my understanding. I loved "The Stoker" and i'm considering actually reading Kafka's novel from it, "Amerika". But overall "The Metamorphosis" was my favorite! I really enjoyed it. However "Letter to His Father" i actually skipped because I wasn't interested in reading it yet. Just because I haven't read enough Kafka to be interested in reading a letter to his father about how their relationship(negati ...more
Leigh Ellis
Jul 30, 2016 Leigh Ellis rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club-of-one
The Sons is comprised of three of Kafka's short stories ("The Judgment," "The Stoker," and "The Metamorphosis") brought together by the unifying theme of #daddyissues. I'm not an English/Lit major, and, so, when I read for pleasure, I'm not looking to interrogate the themes, tropes, motifs, and/or symbols of a text. This is one of those books that I felt I ought to read; however, now that I've finished it, I've realized (1) no, thank you; and (2) I don't need that kind of validation (although ma ...more
Tré
May 28, 2008 Tré rated it liked it
I think, before this gets anymore than three stars, that I need to find some kind of literary analysis or criticism so I can digest the stories better. That or find someone who's by some chance read it so I can converse with them about what they got from it.

I did, however, notice a lot of strength in shaping elements like point of view and tone. I was really able to catch on to Kafka's attitude.
Abbas Haider
this books .. ahh left me with so much thoughts and sighs .. the complicated relations , the various forms of human affection and the change in behaviors when a calamity strikes or in moments of absolute bliss .. at the end of each story there is a longing ..its a cruel longing that there should have been something more there should have been some clear explanation but NO , you are just left with a longing and some random thoughts.
chynna
Apr 26, 2007 chynna rated it liked it
Out of the 4 short stories, i read the Metamorphosis, the Judgement and Letter to His Father. These stories have a similar theme: fathers sacrificing their sons. If you read Letter to his Father before the other stories, you will see that the main characters reflect Kafka's own life and rough relationship with his father. I liked his stories: very dark and twisted, but somehow humorous...
Varun
Sep 17, 2012 Varun rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs, kafkaesque
It was Kafka's wish to see the stories in this compilation to appear together as they all are an account of his strenuous, at times tragic relationship with his father. The Metamorphosis I had read before but re-read it as a continuum to the two other stories. Goes without saying that Kafka never does disappoint.
Eva
Feb 07, 2012 Eva rated it really liked it
An intense trio of stories published together posthumously, although it was Kafka's wish that they would be published together during his life time. They're disconcerting as all hell -- they all detail the lives of sons rejected by their fathers. Gives a whole 'nuther dimension to the concept of "daddy issues." A good read, nonetheless.
E. Gail Chandler
Sep 12, 2014 E. Gail Chandler rated it it was amazing
A book of Kafka short stories. I read The Trial a few months ago and enjoyed the surreal quality. Kafka's relationship with his family as revealed in these stories is beyond that. I woke up screaming when I read Metamorphosis. This is a deeply disturbing book.
Donavan
Mar 03, 2016 Donavan rated it really liked it
...and their tragic fathers.
Reno
Mar 16, 2009 Reno rated it liked it
Read this at University of Michigan, in my fantasy genre class.
Eileen
Jul 31, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it
The Metamorphosis was probably the weirdest novella I've ever read. But this is a highly referenced series, so I felt it was worth it for some pop culture knowledge...
M
Jun 30, 2009 M rated it it was ok
Liked The Metamorphosis best, but not as well as I remember liking it. Didn't really like the other two stories. They required the explanation that this collection provided.
Ulviyya
Dec 28, 2007 Ulviyya rated it it was amazing
3 stories - "The Stoker," "The Metamorphosis," "The Judgment" and "Letter to His Father"
Paula
Oct 06, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
Just realized something absolutely hilarious. Apparently I don't know the difference between Germany and Russia. Omg
Amir Rahafrouz
Apr 14, 2016 Amir Rahafrouz rated it liked it
Shelves: life
Tumi Árnason
Apr 29, 2015 Tumi Árnason rated it liked it
Metamorphosis afgerandi skemmtilegust, hinar tvær smásögurnar skemmtilegar líka, en þurfti að pína mig til að klára bréfið í lokin.
Leigh J.
Dec 30, 2012 Leigh J. rated it really liked it
I liked it because I was confused half the time. Most of the way the plot lines jumped made no sense.
Inrisrini
Jan 14, 2017 Inrisrini rated it liked it
good one, i cannot believe one can write so much about his father and his activities......
  • Franz Kafka: A Biography (Second Edition, Enlarged)
  • Kafka: The Decisive Years
  • Stories of God: A New Translation
  • Mademoiselle Fifi and Other Stories
  • Rock Crystal (New York Review Books Classics)
  • Conversations with Kafka
  • The Hare
  • What the Koran Really Says
  • No Matter How Much You Promise to Cook or Pay the Rent You Blew It Cauze Bill Bailey Ain't Never Coming Home Again
  • Dossier K: A Memoir
  • Goethe schtirbt: Erzählungen
  • Empire City: New York Through the Centuries
  • Mozart's Journey to Prague
  • Dry Ice
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include The Metamorpho
More about Franz Kafka...