Start by marking “A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity” as Want to Read:
A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity

A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,677 ratings  ·  461 reviews
A fine copy in a jacket that got a small 3/4 inch closed tear at spine. Signed by O'Reilly on a special bookplate that has printed; "From the Desk of Bill O'Reilly" and then is signed in black ink pen on ot simply: " Bill O'Reilly."
Published September 23rd 2008 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity

Godless by Ann CoulterMiles to Go by Miley CyrusHow to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterIf Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann Coulter
Books I Have No Intention of Reading
124th out of 1,209 books — 5,952 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerMiles to Go by Miley Cyrus
The Worst Books of All Time
171st out of 5,735 books — 16,176 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Oct 24, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who hate Bill, yet have never watched his show but blindly spew the mantra of the left
Shelves: nonfiction
What more could you ask for? It's easy to read and understand, funny, and will give you a perspective you may never have considered. For all those people who hate Bill O'Reilly, yet have never watched his show or read any of his books but blindly spew the mantra of the far left, please read this book! You may be surprised by the humble beginnings of that little hellion also known as Bill O'Reilly and the experiences that made him what he is by smacking him around. How would today's educators/pol ...more
Erin
I think I've only read one of Bill O'Reilly's other books (I think it was his original) and I also read his novel "Those Who Trespass" (which wasn't half bad that I can remember, but it's been a few years), but I've always liked O'Reilly. Yeah, he's a blowhard. Yeah, he had that fairly creepy sex scandal with one of his underlings a few years back. But I think he busts people's asses who need it, and he doesn't rest on his laurels. He's always riled up about something. I like that. I thought the ...more
Shirleen
I absolutely loved listening to this book on tape, even though I do think Bill O'Reilly can come across as a bully on tv. It was so interesting hearing his stories growing up in a poor neighborhood, his insights into the presidents he has interviewed, his belief of the difference between how a president growing up poor (eg Bill Clinton) and a president who came from a rich family (George Bush) approach problems, things he would have done differently, and all interspersed with lines from songs. H ...more
Rodger
I know there are many who don't like O'Reilly but I think he is the fairest interviewer on TV. He always lets both sides have their say, even if he is a little arrogant. (did I say a little?)

Bold Fresh tells about his life and how he came to hold the viewpoints he holds today.

Call me whatever you want, I like O'Reilly and The No Spin Zone.
Heather
Oct 22, 2008 Heather is currently reading it
I know a lot of people don't like this guy, but he is really smart and I think he sincerely tries to make a positive difference in the world. He gives great perspective to his personality and attitudes in this book.
Summer
I love my Bill O'Reilly!
John
Bill O'Reilly has a couple decent books, but most of them are really, really lazy. This is definitely one of the lazy ones. It's part childhood memoir, part political analysis, and part whatever-random-thing-just-happens-to-be-on-O'Reilly's-mind. The childhood stuff is pretty boring, and O'Reilly's rampant ego makes it difficult to take his impressions at face value. The political analysis is breezy and off-the-cuff, with nary a statistic or footnote anywhere in sight. As for the random stuff... ...more
Chad Warner
I know very little about Bill O'Reilly, and have only seen his show when channel surfing. I only read this book because someone asked me to, and I wish I hadn't. Throughout the book, O'Reilly refers to himself as "the bold, fresh guy" rather than using personal pronouns "I" and "me". This got pretty annoying after the 20th time.

O'Reilly basically tells his life story, explaining how events in his childhood shaped his attitudes and personality today. That may be interesting for a fan, but I wasn'
Brian
Was there any doubt I would read this book first?

Any doubt that I would like it?

I didn't think so.

Here's what I found appealing about the book:
1) It was genuinely entertaining. Bill is a great writer, and can tell a fantastic story. I can identify with many of the hijinx he pulled that got him in trouble - his telling of the events are worth the read alone.
2) He examines the reasons why he holds the beliefs that he holds. "Why" you believe something is a very important question. I couldn't
Erin
I only recently started watching "The Factor" on the FOX news channel and like Bill O'Reilly though I change the channel when things become too confrontational.
This book was interesting and entertaining, and I found myself agreeing with most of his basic ethics and political principles.
He seems like one of the good guys and has great arguments so I don't think he needs to be confrontational, though that seems to be one of his hallmarks.
Teechbiz
What made Bill O'Reilly the man he is today? Was it something that happened to him as a child? Actually it was the child that he was that made him the man that he became.

I think every class has a Bill O'Reilly in it. A Bold, Fresh, Piece of Humanity, and as a teacher I realize that it's up to you to try to help channel all that energy.

My favorite story? The alarm clock. What an excellent idea Bill.
Kathy
Audio version was very fun to listen to on a long road trip with lots of laughs to keep me company. It's not hard to admire this man, even if you don't think you like him..I challenge any rational thinker to listen and disagree with his sound arguments. Loved his view of power versus wealth.
Jan
Dear Mr. O'Reilly,
Even though I agree with you on many points, and I enjoy your tv show for it's interesting guests and your demand of answers to hard questions, I quit listening to you read your book because I realized that I could never like you as much as you like yourself.
Yrs,
jks
Lisal
I read this book because someone I love and respect asked me to. I was about to undertake a four hour plane flight so I figured I could devote that time to it: I wasn't going to be doing anything else. Anticipating the possibility that my resolve could weaken I ensured that all other reading material was packed away!

I like autobiographies: I always find other people's lives interesting. So despite the fact that I had never heard of Bill O'Reilly, I thought I might well find his life story of int
Mary Campbell
Jul 30, 2009 Mary Campbell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: open-minded progressives
Recommended to Mary by: Margie Friend
Shelves: public-policy
I am something of an apologist for Bill O'Reilly because, when he was still on the radio, his show came on at the time I took my nap, and I thought that he was funny and smart and that he was NOT an ideologue. His ego is as bloated as his detractors claim, and I've read that he can be difficult to work with, but he makes no secret of either quality and does, in fact, poke fun at himself, unapologetically, however.

Sometimes I take an early nap and have to listen to Sean Hannity (or turn off the r
Karol
I enjoyed this book. People should read it.

That's the pithy version of my review. One of the mysteries of the universe, however, is how someone whose father was seemingly always pithy in his comments ended up with a son who is a master bloviater. Although this is a mystery that may never be fully solved, O'Reilly does shed a great deal of light on his upbringing and the values that still drive him to do what he does.

At times intense, often funny, usually insightful - this is a book worth reading
Janet Green
A lot of people hate Bill O'Reilly because they think he's a rabid partisan. The fact is, he may have conservative views, but his job (as he defines it) is to expose people in power of any stripe who abuse their power, take advantage of others, or stand idly by and let horrible things happen that they could have stopped. This book is a memoir in the sense that it recounts stories from Bill's young life and early career, but it's really a "Who I am" book - each chapter looks at one "thing" or "co ...more
Damon Lively
I literally picked this book up at a severely reduced rate when Border’s was going out of business. I’m glad I did not spend more – and probably would not have read it otherwise. I have grown - not to be a huge fan of O’Reilly (after watching his show through the years) – I think he is a bit of a mouthpiece and tries to play the “center” card – when he is really far right. Not to mention – it’s annoying to listen to someone talk over people all the time. So I ask myself why I read this again? I ...more
Jim
While I enjoyed reading this book, I became bored towards the end. Also, he described his father as a person who didn't have much to contribute towards family conversations. I believe this to probably be true of almost every father who was raised during the depression and should/could have been pointed out by Mr. O'Reilly. I am sure his friend' fathers were like his father.
Marnie
I loved this book! Bill O'Reilly talks about his life & how he got to be that way. I loved the parts about his childhood & when he worked at Carvel as a teen. Parts of it made me laugh out loud. I recommend this book to everyone, whether you're an O'Reilly fan or not. He talks about important values like self reliance, education, religion, & politics & relates it to his life.
Jean
Although I have often defended Bill O'Reilly to others when they complained of his arrogance, his newest book that delves into his life is one of the most arrogant displays of self righteous behavior I have ever encountered. While I agree with most of his political viewpoints, I will find it more difficult to tune in to The Factor.
John Dixson
I bought and read Bill O’Reilly’s latest book, “Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity.” It’s an entertaining book. He claims he’s an independent thinker but most of his personal philosophies are, as he says, the result of his past experiences, which align pretty closely to the conservative viewpoint, which is what dominated his early childhood in Levittown, NY, which was predominately conservative and strictly Catholic, the religious right.

He talks a lot about the liberal ideology being based upon peop
Sharon Allen
Funny - gives a perspective of life in America when things were simpler and kids did odd jobs over the summer to save money for college. For all those people who have never watched his show or read his books because of the perception that he is Republican - here's the opportunity to learn the truth about a truly Independent thinker. A man with strong moral values. Never drank alcohol, never smoked pot - has a quick wit and deep understanding of the ills that are causing the "un-education" of soc ...more
Kevin Eikenberry
Before you even read a word of this review I’m guessing some of you are excited to continue right now, and others, well, you are wondering if you want to read anything written by me if I’m going to talk about Bill O’Reilly’s book.

Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'ReillySuch is the nature of O’Reilly’s persona – very few have a neutral opinion about this long time host of the most popular news commentary show in the United States, The O’Reilly Factor.

I read the book this week, and I was intr
Dan
Jul 30, 2008 Dan added it
Review to come after it is released. Needless to say, it was for work.
T. Edmund

This book shocked and appalled me. As I turned the pages I could feel my hands curl in feverish angst, my vision blurred with frustrated tears and despite being unable to see or even turn each page I couldn’t deny the reality hammering on my senses.

I agreed with Bill O’Reilly on some issues.

My only exposure to O’Reilly has really been a funny musical mash-up, the O’Reilly vs Bale video and a small section of interviews that interested me. I have to say after reading this book, I now consider O
Liam Rottkov
A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity: A Memoir is a great book. O'Reilly does a great job deciphering why he acts the way he does on television. Much like other people who have reviewed this book, liberals may stray from reading it. But, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy, interesting and fun read, whether you're an O'Reilly fan or not. He talks about important values like self-reliance, education, and relates it to his life. A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity is a memoir of O'Reill ...more
Melinda
This book was great to listen to, especially since O'Reilly himself was narrator. As a result, I think that the reading itself became more dramatic, enthusiastic and enjoyable. I discovered many interesting things about O'Reilly's childhood, family and career path. He shares some amazing experiences that have helped form who he is today. Despite his bloviated nature, his tough guy charisma and his no-nonsense approach to most topics, I have to admire the guy. He never gave in to drugs, alcohol, ...more
Kerry
My husband read this one first and recommended it to me. He almost never recommends reads to me; we have completely different tastes in books. But once I started reading it, I could see that he's right.

I find Bill O'Reilly's take on most things to be square with my own beliefs. I believe that people should take courage, work hard, and learn skills that help them to be and accomplish what they want in life. In Bill's blunt style, he shows and tells you why handouts make you weak, while work makes
kathy
First, I have to say to those that say they don't like or even hate O'Reilly they have never given the guy a chance and have never watched his TV show "The O'Reilly Factor" on FOX news. I myself have always loved Bill O'Reilly and his way of thinking. And after reading his book, I find myself loving the guy more... It seems with him you either love him or hate him... all depends on your outlook on life, I guess. To me he is a very moral, although sometimes over-the-top ( let's say a little tempe ...more
  • An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems
  • Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
  • See, I Told You So
  • A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • Going Rogue: An American Life
  • Real Change: From the World That Fails to the World That Works
  • Spoken from the Heart
Bill O'Reilly is an American television/radio host, author, syndicated columnist, and political commentator. He is the host of the cable news program The O'Reilly Factor. Prior to hosting The O'Reilly Factor, he served as anchor of the entertainment program, Inside Edition.

O'Reilly also hosts The Radio Factor, a radio program syndicated by Westwood One, and he has written seven books.

More about Bill O'Reilly...
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot Killing Jesus: A History Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General Culture Warrior