Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 3

Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 3 (Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men #3)

Collects The X-Men #22-31
Published September 1st 2003 by Marvel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Evan Leach
This collection contains issues 22-31 from the original run. The original team consisted of Cyclops, Angel, The Beast, Iceman, and Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). Professor X and his giant mutant brain are on hand to lead the team. I mentioned in my reviews of the first two X-Men Marvel Masterworks that those early issues can be awfully cheesy, and that remains true for issues 22-31 as well…

X-Men

Yeah. There are a lot of silly costumes and a lot more silly dialogue in this book. These issues were published
Christopher Rush
Jun 18, 2012 Christopher Rush rated it liked it
Roy Thomas starts off his tenure as writer of the X-Men by showing off his knowledge of Marvel history - this could have been a good thing, had he done something interesting with forgotten characters or former X-Men villains. However, he just sort of parades meaningless moments and characters who should have been forgotten and doesn't do anything spectacular with them. Yes, he does create the Banshee, but he makes him a confusingly-motivated ancient man and needs several tries before he can do ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Feb 05, 2014 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The emotional characterization in this volume picks up quite a bit. But I was really annoyed that they call each other by their real names in battles all the time! After making a huge deal about their secret identities in multiple issues. There are other oversights like this that bring down the quality of the book, but if you can ignore it, it's not a huge deal. Some of the villains are ridiculous, like the Maggia (the porcupine guy, I mean come on), but some of them I really enjoyed like the ...more
Inkling
Aug 18, 2013 Inkling rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The stories are ok. It depends what you're after. There's not much character development happening, but that's to be expected of early comic-book issues. The problem, in my opinion, is that, since it is focusing on action each and every time, the stories seem to always be set in the same pattern - easily spotted every time.

What's a bit annoying, and the other fans of the series have noticed it as well, is the fact that, Roy Thomas, the writer, is such a huge fan of the Marvel universe, that he c
Kami
Jun 19, 2013 Kami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- This one wasn't as fun as the previous 2, but I still enjoyed it.

- Jean should just hook up with Warren!!!!! Why is she wasting her time dreaming of Scott? Scott is so dramatic and emotionally unstable. Warren is good looking, has money, and is more forward about how he feels.

- Jean and Cyclops are just getting annoying. I'm tired of the "Oh, I can't tell her how I feel!" crap!

- I like the new costume change, especially Marvel Girl's.

- It was fun to see a few cameos in this volume. Quicksilve
J.R.
Jun 16, 2014 J.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By story arc
-Nefaria/Maggia - Lame villains, good plot. 3 stars
-Locust - Again, a decent plot, but the villain's costume was too corny: 2.5 stars
-Magic pendant - Extra star for the key plot point of Cyclops accidentally clipping Angel: 2 stars
-Mimic stuff - 3 stars
-Banshee - 4 stars
-Warlock - 2 stars
-Cobalt Man - 2 stars
Edward Davies
Count Nefaria makes his first X-Men appearance, becoming a pretty important character when the series relaunched in 1975. Still, other than the first appearance of Banshee, this is pretty mediocre stuff, possibly because of Roy Thomas coming on as a new wirter and not being able to immediately find his feet.
Mike Wierzbicki
Jan 04, 2012 Mike Wierzbicki rated it liked it
More classic X-Men. I liked Roy Thomas's issues more than Stan Lee's but as with Volumes 1 and 2, these are neat to see how the team has evolved but I wouldn't recommend them to those looking to get into the series.
Etienne02breton
Nov 21, 2013 Etienne02breton rated it it was amazing
Certainly the best X-Men volume until now. Lot of actions, cool news characters, story is a lot less repetitive than it was. It set the bar really high for the next one!!
Heather Fryling
Mar 16, 2014 Heather Fryling rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if these are getting better, or if I'm just getting into the humor of the cheesy dialogue, but this is my favorite volume so far.
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2013
Maxine Marsh
Maxine Marsh rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Pranay Rajput
Pranay Rajput rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Chas
Chas rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2012
Steve Quinn
Steve Quinn rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Daniel Feltrin
Daniel Feltrin rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Scratch
Scratch rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2010
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Reuben
Reuben rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Alex Cross
Alex Cross rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Devon K. Aldridge
Devon K. Aldridge rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Satyapriya Kujur
Satyapriya Kujur rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Al Dorey
Al Dorey rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2014
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
André
André rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2009
Jennie
Jennie rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Grégory Raven
Grégory Raven rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 3
  • X-Men Legacy: Sins of the Father
  • Wolverine/Gambit: Victims
  • Captain America and Hawkeye
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden ...more
More about Roy Thomas...

Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1