Start by marking “Essential Tales and Poems” as Want to Read:
Essential Tales and Poems

Essential Tales and Poems

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  53,581 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, by Edgar Allan Poe, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras.

Creator of the modern detective story, innovative architect of the horror genre
Published October 25th 2004 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published November 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Tales and Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Tales and Poems

Lotz
Apr 05, 2015 Lotz rated it liked it
Shelves: americana, poetry
The Maven

Once, in summer, weary, I wanted to discuss a theory,
And so walked up to the classroom of my teacher, Lenore.
I started gently wrapping, wondering if the she wasn’t napping,
And then I heard the tapping of her feet across the floor;
The tap, tap, tap of high-heeled shoes across the floor
—And there stood my Lenore

“Oh, hello there,” she said yawning as I said to her “Good morning.
I have something I’d like to discuss with you, my dear Lenore.”
“Well sit down,” she said and went back to her
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Ok, so I guess I'm taking a break from this. I managed to read half of it, and I guess I'll resume it in a year or so, when the mood returns. I can only say that I really liked what I've read so far. Poe is pretty fucked up in the head and I admire him for that.
Shelby
Sep 15, 2009 Shelby rated it it was amazing
This has taken me years to finish. I found Poe to be a little to intense to read for weeks at a time. I started in in High School, forgot it for the first three years of College, and now I'm done.

One thing that I loved about Poe was the intensity and immersion he creates. I've never read a book or story before where I almost dreaded turning the page because I was afraid.

However, last story of this book was what nearly stopped me from finishing. The story was over 20 chapters long, and you would
Billy Clark
Aug 11, 2014 Billy Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourites
Why it has felt like many lustra have passed since I first hearkened of this collection-of which occurrence I am most pleased- and, through chronological excavation, I, your narrator, at this epoch of writing, have finally reached a conclusion! And yet, for a while, I saw only a tinkering of adjectival madness but, luckily, a faithful thesaurus was at hand to do my bidding and now, at this current time, if only you could see the lustre of my eyes as I reminisce of reading those foregone pages-oh ...more
Misha
Feb 14, 2010 Misha marked it as sometimes-reading
Feb 14 2010. I just re-read "The Tell-Tale Heart" for the first time since high school. I took American lit in 11th grade, which would have been 89-90, so it's been 20 years since I read this story. It's one that's always stayed with me, although as a much more mature reader now than at 16, I find the pacing too rapid. I'd like it better if it came to a slower boil, but I suppose that's a matter of taste. But I do appreciate that what Poe did with the unreliable narrator and the use of psycholog ...more
Caroline
This took me quite some time to work through while reading in the breakroom, but it was well worth the effort. I did find I much preferred his poetry to his prose, and was disappointed by how little of this ended up being poetry. He had a really beautiful, lyrical style with his poetry. This style does crop up sometimes in his prose, but it just isn't quite the same.

Still, lots of creepiness and the scenes he set were really quite amazing at times. Definitely a must-read for fans of chilling sto
Amy
Jun 08, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Very few authors can be as dark-and-twisty and yet as widely beloved as Poe. I love his use of irony and foreshadowing (maybe because I'm an English teacher), and the Gothic details are always delightful.

If you've never read a single thing by Poe--shame on you!--or if you've only read a few items but love him to death, this is obviously the next step. You won't regret it!
KatieCat
Oct 11, 2012 KatieCat rated it it was amazing
I love Edgar Allan Poe! His stories are so grim and chilling - but in the best way possible. Some of my favorite short stories in this work are The Raven, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Tale Tell Heart.
Martha
May 15, 2015 Martha rated it it was amazing
Poe is one of my favorite authors. His works are classics in horror. The stories and poems are written so beautifully and soulfully. He died way too young.
Jacob
Oct 25, 2009 Jacob marked it as to-read
Its a slow read and you must have a dictionary by your side. I've read not quite half, and I have to say that Poe is one of my favorite authors.
Victoria
Feb 10, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I adore Edgar Allan Poe and everything he's created with his dark, sick and twisted mind!
Ben
Jun 16, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Poe is the king of the macabre. An excellent, though creepy, storyteller.
Oren Bochman
Dec 21, 2014 Oren Bochman rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
The troubled "Edgar Allan Poe" was one of the most creative american writers. He was a pioneer in serveral geners science fiction, gothic horror and the detective. I came across an annotated edition in my universities engligh library wich contained many interesting notes that shed light on many of his works. As it often happens with good writing - the work often seems more interesting without the original context. I guess this is because it allows us to bring to the work our own meanings and int ...more
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
UPDATED: 4/17/2015, 4/18/2015, 4/19/2015, 4/20/2015
Anytime I have said 7th grade, it was really 8th grade.

FINALLY. I HAVE DONE IT. I HAVE FINISHED. I KNOW. I SPENT THREE-FOUR MONTHS ON THIS THING, AND IT'S NOT EVEN THE WHOLE COLLECTION!!!

I decided to write notes and give stars to each and every poem and story contained within this book.
Those will be typed up later.

It's later. Literally minutes later.
I started reading Edgar Allan Poe's poems in early January while reading A Series of Unfortunat
Dave
Jan 08, 2013 Dave marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, calibre
EDITORIAL REVIEW: *The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe*, by **Edgar Allan Poe**, is part of the *Barnes & Noble Classics** *series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of *Barnes & Noble Classics*: New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars Biographies of the authors Chron ...more
Bri
Feb 21, 2015 Bri rated it liked it
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Iván Leija
Jun 05, 2013 Iván Leija rated it really liked it
Los que no recuerdo:
Metzengerstein, Morella, William Wilson, Silence-A Fable.
Los que no me gustaron:
MS. Found in a Bottle.
Los tolerables:
The Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Cask of Amontillado, Bon-Bon.
Los disfrutables:
Hop-Frog, How to Write a Blackwood Article, A Predicament, Eleonora, King Pest, Never Bet the Devil Your Head, The Gold-Bug, The Premature Burial, The Purloined Letter, The System of Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether, Thou Art the Man.
Los buenos:
The Murde
Jenn
Dec 04, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub-lehi
I don't think I have ever read Poe before. The language is hard to get into at first, but the writing was wonderful and the stories well crafted.
Melina
Aug 10, 2014 Melina rated it it was amazing
I haven't read all of the stories/poems in this book yet, but I've loved everything that I have read.
Jolanta
Jun 16, 2015 Jolanta rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Beautiful, yet difficult style. Intellectual feast.
Lisa Thompson
Jan 11, 2015 Lisa Thompson rated it it was amazing
The Pit and the Pendulum will always be my favorite.
Nancy Newman
Dec 01, 2015 Nancy Newman rated it it was amazing
could not put it down
May 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Currently I have only read the poems, but I gave them a 4 (I'm not sure when I'll get to the tales so I wanted to put in my review thus far). To begin with, I'm not a poetry person. I don't particularly enjoy it. I prefer prose. I found Poe's early work lacking. It was like he was trying too hard. He wanted to sound intellectual as well as classical. However, as his poetry progressed, it got much better. I guess there's a reason that The Raven and Annabel Lee are his most famous poems.
Jason Hoskins
Nov 08, 2010 Jason Hoskins rated it liked it
I did not actually read the entirity of this rather bulky collection: perhaps 2 poems and just over half of the short stories. I could only take so much of the macabre. Overall I felt that there was much beneath the surface of these stories that I just didn't get. Then again, that could be my mind fruitlessly trying to make sense of the bizzare woven into almost every story. Still an interesting read, though.
David
Jul 22, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, to be honest. Really could not get into Poe's collection. The well known stories were mostly good, with Fall Of The House of Usher being my favorite. But the others ranged from crazy to crazy-but-boring. The Arthur Gordon Pym story saved it at the end, and even that was hard to follow at times, though I did like how it slowly went from a survival at sea tale to just plain bizarre.
Alecksa
Apr 16, 2013 Alecksa rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, poetry, gothic
Truly great collection. A little daunting to read all at once, and I'd really recommend reading it over a long period of time because, even though Poe is an opiated genius, there are some recurring themes in his works that become very noticeable when read one after another. Also, it's not like he'll be writing anything else any time soon, might as well make a life long read out of it.
Kathy
Apr 22, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
So glad I always have wonderful stuff in my Nook to read when I run out of something else. EAP is a standby just like Pride & Prejudice or any of the Harry Potter novels. Again, many of these stories make me laugh out loud -- even on the bus, which of course means I fit right in. His work is so rich. I even like some of his poetry, and I am NOT a poetry person.
Kellie
Jan 20, 2014 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Annabel Lee. That is all.
Stephen Osborne
Aug 22, 2010 Stephen Osborne rated it really liked it
Only 4 stars because this contains "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", Poe's only novel. Reading it one is thankful that Poe wrote only one novel. It's the epitome of boring. Luckily, all the classic poems and stories are also in the book, including favorites "The Raven", "The Pit and the Pendulum", and "The Fall of the House of Usher."
Stef Smulders
Jan 01, 2016 Stef Smulders rated it liked it
Had he lived longer Poe might have produced a few more masterpieces. Now we are left with two or three good poems, one of which, The Raven, an unforgettable masterpiece and a story ot five that are still worthwhile. A lot of the others are outdated, too obviously written to please the taste of the contemporary gothic-loving readers.
  • Selected Stories
  • Common Sense and Other Writings
  • Pygmalion and Three Other Plays
  • Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)
  • A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth
  • The Red Badge of Courage and Selected Short Fiction
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson/Those Extraordinary Twins
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...