Start by marking “Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens” as Want to Read:

A talented designer explains how to create a wide variety of unusual and innovative hand-printed fabrics, furnishings, accessories, and paper crafts by using stencils, master stamps, and screen printing, using step-by-step instructions to teach crafters the fundamentals of hand printing and offering an array of ingenious projects, from screen-printed bed linens to statione ...more
Hardcover-spiral, 144 pages
Published August 1st 2008 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published July 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Printing by Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Printing by Hand

Jamila
May 04, 2009 Jamila rated it it was amazing
I'm already comfortable with basic printmaking. However, this book was still fantastic because Corwin provides instructions on designing patterns & screenprinting a repeat pattern, which I am learning how to do. The photographs are beautiful and the projects are inspiring.
BarbaraNathalie
Oct 28, 2011 BarbaraNathalie rated it it was amazing
I love fabrics. I have explored them in Amsterdam, parts of France, Italy, and Germany. I enjoy painting on them, and on walls, so this
book of textile designing is happy addition to my library. Lena Corwin provides sensible directions for adding textile designing to anyone's portfolio of artistic expression. The color photographs help articulate the skills she teaches in this fabulous book. I also bought it for my daughter-in-law, artist extrordinaire. We plan to take one of Lena Corwin's worksh
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This book contains a dozen or so projects that are categorized by printing method and get progressively harder through the course of the book. The instructions are very detailed and organized. The book is beautifully made, has great photography, and even includes patterns for the author's designs, so it seems like the book would be great both for newcomers to printing and to those with a little more experience who want tips or inspiration. I could definitely see teachers using the book to do a p ...more
Becky
Aug 25, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
I have not fully read this book yet but I am really enjoying what I have read. I like the projects which give you an example of how to use a printing style and encompass a little bit of sewing (plus points!). I like the photography (I am a bit of a sucker for aesthetics) but I also like how much direction this book offers and insight into fabrics, paints and techniques which similar books do not offer.
Diane
Jan 18, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I LOVE this book! She has SUPER great instructions and great pictures to go along with it. There is such a WIDE variety of printing styles and techniques that she thoroughly covers - from stuff you may just have lying around, to more professional and professionally made stamps. I love her tutorials and the different projects she includes. The projects also range from classic to modern to very chic! Attached to the back cover she also includes copies of her designs in a nice pocket envelope.
Autumn
Jul 28, 2011 Autumn rated it it was ok
This is ok. Print Workshop by Christine Schmidt or Bend the Rules with Fabric by Amy Karol are both much better and more empowering. But I like to learn techniques and then make things up instead of recreating the exact project in the book. If you want someone to tell you exactly how to recreate the shade of orange she uses on the silkscreened baby quilt, then you'll love this one.
Kate
Mar 27, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-a-holic
Love this book. Clear instructions, wonderful inspiration. Very practical, she tells you when to get professional assistance (rubber stamp makers and silk screen burners are the way to go for more detailed printing of your designs), and the ins and outs of using freezer paper to make stencils. Best description of how to stencil I've read anywhere, by the way. I highly recommend this book!
Megan Anderson
Jul 14, 2012 Megan Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
This is one of the most useful crafting books I’ve ever read. It teaches you skills rather than just projects.

I can’t wait to try these projects out! I loved making reduction prints in high school and really want to handmake textiles, make my own silk screen frame, and learn to print on different surfaces. This book teaches all of those things and more.
Vid
Jun 14, 2009 Vid rated it it was amazing
So far, this book is a dream ... exactly what I was looking for to inspire me in my new love of stamping. I am excited to try some new techniques and many projects in the book I think can be adapted for other items. Definitely a keeper!
Mindofwinter
Oct 15, 2010 Mindofwinter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: printmaking
This is a great book. There are a variety of techniques included and they are all very accessible. I've used this book to make freezer-paper stencils on T-shirts and to make block prints for fabric. The directions have not failed me yet.
Manda
Apr 14, 2015 Manda rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying reading this book so much. I'm completely fascinated by the hand printing process and can't wait to get to work on a project. The book is well-written, accessible and inspiring! Love it!
Griggette
Mar 23, 2009 Griggette rated it it was amazing
The woodblock print is one of my favorite art forms, and I have always wanted to try the technique.I can't wait to make my own hand-printed wallpaper and fabric. Easy to follow directions, and very encouaraging in that the requisite tools are very affordable and accessible.
Leah
Apr 21, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-craft
This book is very useful for home printmakers, including techniques, ink recipes and project ideas. I also like that they show different techniques used on different materials/textiles so you know what you're getting into. A valuable reference book.
Ruth
May 18, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I love this book by Lena Corwin.It was simple and to the point.She talks about different techniques that can be used.There are also projects inside to try from the book.The other cool thing is that the book has picture of the tools and printing by hand projects.
Kristin
Dec 07, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Interesting projects and some good information on methods. Would like more guidance on finding inspiration and making inks and dyes.
secondwomn
Jul 21, 2008 secondwomn rated it really liked it
Really easy to read and understand step-by-step guide to many various types of printing processes that one could do at home with relative ease. the photos are great. the ideas are inspiring.
Alison
Feb 11, 2009 Alison rated it it was amazing
Totally and completely inspiring. I will be doing this (when I buy my own copy and some rat doesn't have it on hold at the library)
j.elaine
Jan 07, 2009 j.elaine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: other arts and craft fanatics like myself
I really felt this book did an excellent job of introducing print making to the beginning home crafter. The projects were easy to understand and funky for those who love the indie style.
Tisha
Jul 25, 2011 Tisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
This book is beautiful. I really liked looking at the pictures, as well as reading about the techniques. I also liked that print patterns were included.
Erin
Jun 02, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crafters seamstresses artists textile lovers
Fabric printing obsession continues. I could use more specifics on materials, esp. inks, but the experiments continue! one of the only books on the subject... enjoy!
Enjoli
Jan 17, 2009 Enjoli rated it liked it
This book is really well organized and has some really great creative ideas for DIY projects at home.
Catherine Just
Oct 22, 2008 Catherine Just rated it it was amazing
getting ready to make the baby quilt. I'm very excited. This is a great book. very inspiring.
Clever Name
Feb 06, 2016 Clever Name rated it liked it
Shelves: art
This is a great compendium of a number of different printing techniques. You could just have this book and no experience and be on your way to exploring.
Tara Carpenter
May 15, 2010 Tara Carpenter rated it it was amazing
I have been interested in screen printing (and stenciling) for a couple years now. This book is modern and informative and has some great project ideas.
Adrienne
Jan 17, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was ok
So far this book seems just to refresh my memories of art class in high school, especially linoleum block and screen printing, but it definitely inspires creative ideas
Tina
Feb 03, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: printing
Wonderful book for crafty screen printers. Easy to follow tutorials with pictures for each step. Found this book to be very inspirational.
Liz
Oct 05, 2008 Liz added it
Even though this book goes over basic screen printing techniques....i just couldnt help buying it. Its so pretty and it will inspire me to get out my silk screens and print some thing new!
Kristina
May 14, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
A GREAT book on printing.
Kim M-M
Mar 03, 2012 Kim M-M rated it it was amazing
Excellent instructional on different techniques, very straight forward and easy to follow steps. The projects aren't your usual cheesy types, they would make really nice gifts or products.
Tara
Jul 25, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
So far I've only flipped through this at the bookstore, but it's now at the TOP of my wish list. Gorgeous projects, and the instructions make them look simple. Can't wait to give some a try!
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • The Cute Book
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household (Stc Craft)
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Alabama Stitch Book: Projects and Stories Celebrating Hand-Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery for Contemporary Sustainable Style
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
Lena Corwin is a textile designer and illustrator based in Brooklyn. She has done work for Marithé + François Girbaud, Calvin Klein, Jill Stuart, and Elle Decor magazine. She also illustrated Stewart, Tabori and Chang’s Kids Crochet and Kids Weaving.
More about Lena Corwin...