Start by marking “How to Get a Job in Publishing: A Really Practical Guide to Careers in Books and Magazines” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Careers in the media have always been popular, but publishing is particularly competitive, with thousands of graduatestrying to get a foot in the door. This targeted, practical guide isideal for anyone who wants to work in publishing, whether ontraditional books and magazines or online publications. It will helpreaders to get that all-important first job and includes: Work ...more
Published 2008 by A. & C. Black

To ask other readers questions about How to Get a Job in Publishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get a Job in Publishing

Becky Brown
Nov 23, 2015 Becky Brown rated it it was amazing
If I ever get a job in publishing I will up the rating to 5 stars...

Mandy Jo
Sep 24, 2012 Mandy Jo rated it really liked it

This week’s headline? creativity harnessed, distributed

Why this book? relevant right now

Which book format? "the basic codex"

Primary reading environment? bed, bath, beach

Any preconceived notions? boundarylessness and disintermediation

Identify most with? arrogance vs boldness

Three little words? "absolutely insatiable curiosity"

Goes well with? "bread and butter"

Recommend this to? "You absolute legend."

One of the friends I made last time I was here in Ireland was a pastry chef who gave me some caree
Luna
Feb 07, 2015 Luna rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, and really useful to understand the dynamics that move the Publishing sector.
I found it interesting, I hope it will seriously help me in the future.
Rachael McDiarmid
Aug 07, 2011 Rachael McDiarmid rated it it was amazing
There is no way I can be unbiased. A friend co-wrote it, I know one of the other co-authors, and there's four --- yes four --- quotes from me in the book (must say, interesting choice Susannah!!! one's almost an essay!!!!!!). Glad to know my 20 year career in the book industry came in handy for something.... :)

You want a job in publishing, read this. It will get you a foot in the door...
Kathy (another great etcetera)
Feb 10, 2015 Kathy (another great etcetera) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A readable mix of some very good advice, some very basic if you have even the slightest experience in publishing, and some, as it happens, already out-of-date - but all in all not a waste of your time as a young professional or soon-to-be that.
Marie-Louise
Sep 10, 2014 Marie-Louise rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and found if very insightful and interesting. It's written in a much chattier and easy style which makes it far easier to retain the information. As an undergraduate aspiring to a career in the publishing industry I found this book to be very helpful. I especially found the 'glossary of terms' to be great for picking up knowledge quickly. I know I will use this book frequently throughout my degree and recommend it to anyone in a similar position to me.
Jovita
Jan 31, 2015 Jovita rated it it was amazing
I found this book informative and also interesting to read. I also smiled a lot while reading it, as authors explained things in informal writing. I guess some things could have been explained more, but overall I read this book with pleasure :)
Liz
Apr 12, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and clear guide to beginning a career in publishing. Provides descriptions of the different job roles in publishing and the personality type each would suit. Contains helpful, practical advice on writing your CV, networking, interviews, and work experience. Excellent for absolute beginners - may be a bit too basic if you already have some experience/knowledge about publishing careers.
Emily
Mar 25, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book AND feel like I learned a lot from it. The authors come across as knowledgeable, opinionated, and kind - an awesome combination.
Exportswede
Aug 31, 2012 Exportswede rated it it was amazing
Book by my former lecturer, so I had to buy it
Jess Shelley
Jess Shelley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ka
Ka rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Kylie Abecca
Kylie Abecca marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sophie Hutchings
Sophie Hutchings rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Mandi Pecora
Mandi Pecora marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
May
May rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2016
Alyssa Dorman
Alyssa Dorman marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Elliott Simpson
Elliott Simpson rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Jan 30, 2016
Efua Boakye
Efua Boakye rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Vikki
Vikki is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Beatriz
Beatriz rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Jemma
Jemma is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2015
Lieke
Lieke is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Jessica Gelico
Jessica Gelico marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015