Start by marking “Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.” as Want to Read:
Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This compelling look at the relationship between the majority of African American students and their teachers provides answers and solutions to the hard-hitting questions facing education in today's black and mixed-race communities. Are teachers prepared by their college education departments to teach African American children? Are schools designed for middle-class childre ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by African American Images

To ask other readers questions about Black Students. Middle Class Teachers., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

Adrienne
This book is so heavily tilted and baised. It enfuriates my co-workers and myself whenever we had to read and discuss the chapters.
Tama
Jul 20, 2008 Tama rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tama by: Rosemary Traore
Shelves: urban-ed
I found this book to be surprising, affirming and insightful. There were so many elements of this book that confirmed thoughts and questions that I have had about Black education. At the same time, the book has again confirmed that I, as a white educator, can make a difference in the education of a black student. And sprinkled through the text were Bible versus that seemed to speak to us from over 2000 years ago. Are we not paying attention?

Kunjufu focused his book around several major themes:
Brent
I've spent a lot of time working in predominantly minority schools within the last year or so and I had noticed that most of the teachers are white. This inspired me to pick up this book. It is a huge topic for the context that I am in and effects me a lot as a white middle-class person working with black youth.

This book is not especially well written, but it is a quick read and has TONS of resources and ideas for improving student performance in predominantly black schools. It is valuable for a
Christine Esche
I good quick read. A great introduction to the problems black students have in today's education system and a good resource for some ideas on what to do about it. Lots of references for further reading. It could have given some more real life plans, like sample lesson plans and discipline ideas. I'd recommend it to anyone who, like me, doesn't know much about what it's like to be black in America.
Carol
I borrowed this book for a colleague, and we'll have a good discussion about it. Kunjufu has a passion for his topic. Chapter 5, "A Relevant Black Curriculum" has some cross-curricular ideas that made me re-examine my approaches to Sophocles, Shakespeare, and many of the other "dead white guys" we push in the traditional ELA curriculum.
Wealhtheow
Jul 15, 2008 Wealhtheow added it
Shelves: race
This would be a lot better book if it didn't itself up as white female middle-class teachers vs. poor black boys. Very specific, just a wee bit prejudiced. Still, some good bits in here--for example, the disproportionate number of black boys who are sent to special ed or expelled for behavior or test scores that are ignored in white boys.
M
The title of this book really offended me. At first, I felt like the author was saying middle class teachers (most of whom are white) were not the first choice for black students. However, there was a lot of good information in this book. This author is also quite prolific.
Lindsey
This book would have been better if it had offered more ideas to implement in the classroom. I thought it mainly gave knowledge instead of application. Quick and easy read.
Rebecca
Andrea
Feb 10, 2008 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Andrea by: Nikita--it's hers
Nothing new. It did reference some books I'd like to read.
Susie
Jul 17, 2007 Susie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: 300s
The first five minutes and the last five minutes. . .
Airess
Airess marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Marion Mouton
Marion Mouton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Elizabeth Harrison
Elizabeth Harrison marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Weston Bonczek
Weston Bonczek marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys Raising Black Boys Developing Positive Self-Images & Discipline in Black Children Black Economics: Solutions for Economic and Community Empowerment Keeping Black Boys Out of Special Education