Start by marking “Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.” as Want to Read:
Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This compelling look at the relationship between the majority of African American students and their teachers provides answers and solutions to the hard-hitting questions facing education in today's black and mixed-race communities. Are teachers prepared by their college education departments to teach African American children? Are schools designed for middle-class childre ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by African American Images

To ask other readers questions about Black Students. Middle Class Teachers., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Students. Middle Class Teachers.

Adrienne
Feb 02, 2012 Adrienne rated it did not like it
This book is so heavily tilted and baised. It enfuriates my co-workers and myself whenever we had to read and discuss the chapters.
Chris
Dec 09, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
A necessary perspective on urban education. Some great concrete ideas sprinkled throughout-- I like the idea of calling students by the titles associated with their dream careers-- but the text should be tightened up and the data better presented (some graphs difficult to read, missing axis labels) and discussed (Is the 4 % increase in test scores under African-American tutelage statistically significant? Are divorce and fatherlessness the same?).
Tama
Jul 20, 2008 Tama rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tama by: Rosemary Traore
Shelves: urban-ed
I found this book to be surprising, affirming and insightful. There were so many elements of this book that confirmed thoughts and questions that I have had about Black education. At the same time, the book has again confirmed that I, as a white educator, can make a difference in the education of a black student. And sprinkled through the text were Bible versus that seemed to speak to us from over 2000 years ago. Are we not paying attention?

Kunjufu focused his book around several major themes:
Brent
Jul 15, 2008 Brent rated it liked it
I've spent a lot of time working in predominantly minority schools within the last year or so and I had noticed that most of the teachers are white. This inspired me to pick up this book. It is a huge topic for the context that I am in and effects me a lot as a white middle-class person working with black youth.

This book is not especially well written, but it is a quick read and has TONS of resources and ideas for improving student performance in predominantly black schools. It is valuable for a
Christine Esche
Oct 25, 2010 Christine Esche rated it liked it
I good quick read. A great introduction to the problems black students have in today's education system and a good resource for some ideas on what to do about it. Lots of references for further reading. It could have given some more real life plans, like sample lesson plans and discipline ideas. I'd recommend it to anyone who, like me, doesn't know much about what it's like to be black in America.
Carol
Jul 03, 2010 Carol rated it liked it
I borrowed this book for a colleague, and we'll have a good discussion about it. Kunjufu has a passion for his topic. Chapter 5, "A Relevant Black Curriculum" has some cross-curricular ideas that made me re-examine my approaches to Sophocles, Shakespeare, and many of the other "dead white guys" we push in the traditional ELA curriculum.
Wealhtheow
Jul 15, 2008 Wealhtheow added it
Shelves: race
This would be a lot better book if it didn't itself up as white female middle-class teachers vs. poor black boys. Very specific, just a wee bit prejudiced. Still, some good bits in here--for example, the disproportionate number of black boys who are sent to special ed or expelled for behavior or test scores that are ignored in white boys.
M
Aug 22, 2009 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, nonfiction
The title of this book really offended me. At first, I felt like the author was saying middle class teachers (most of whom are white) were not the first choice for black students. However, there was a lot of good information in this book. This author is also quite prolific.
Lindsey
Jun 28, 2013 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: teacher-stuff
This book would have been better if it had offered more ideas to implement in the classroom. I thought it mainly gave knowledge instead of application. Quick and easy read.
Rebecca
Feb 17, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Andrea
Feb 10, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Andrea by: Nikita--it's hers
Nothing new. It did reference some books I'd like to read.
Susie
Jul 17, 2007 Susie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: 300s
The first five minutes and the last five minutes. . .
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Shayla
Shayla rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Cathy Jaskey
Cathy Jaskey marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Katrise
Katrise rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Erika Bault
Erika Bault marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Ivo
Ivo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Ertnest
Ertnest marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
VHCB AmeriCorps
VHCB AmeriCorps marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Jamison Harps
Jamison Harps marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Henry Thomas
Henry Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2015
Billie
Billie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
  • Whitewashing Race: The Myth of a Color-Blind Society
  • Privilege: A Reader
  • Love and Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class
  • Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal
  • It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races
  • Telling Memories Among Southern Women: Domestic Workers and Their Employers in the Segregated South
  • Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-First Century
  • Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City
  • No Shame in My Game: The Working Poor in the Inner City
  • In the Shadow of the Poorhouse: A Social History of Welfare in America
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • The Truly Disadvantaged: The Inner City, the Underclass, and Public Policy
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society (Updated Edition)
  • The House That Crack Built