Start by marking “Kieli, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Kieli, Vol. 1

Kieli, Vol. 1 (Kieli Manga #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Kieli sees ghosts. It's an odd ability for a 14-year-old girl, and it makes her a bit of an outcast at her boarding school. Her only friend, in fact, is the (semi-) departed spirit of a girl who used to inhabit her room. That is until the two encounter a young man who appears to share Kieli's "gift." It doesn't take long to discover, though, Harvey is an altogether differe ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Yen Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kieli, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kieli, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
242nd out of 942 books — 2,778 voters
Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon HaleAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu KibuishiLife Sucks by Jessica AbelGakuen Alice, Vol. 01 by Tachibana HiguchiSand Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Hinako Ashihara
Great Graphic Novels for Teens? 2007-2008
56th out of 163 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Lex Marie
Kieli drew my attention one day while scanning the manga section of Borders. The synopsis on the back was vague, but piqued my interest enough for me to pick the two volumes up.
Kieli follows the story of Kieli, a young girl who is brought up by the church (which has total control over society) after her grandmother passes. She finds it strange that there's no God in the church and has her own theory as to why that is. Kieli has the ability to see the dead and when she meets Harvey, one of the la
Soobie's heartbroken again
Erano anni che questo breve manga mi guardava dallo scaffale. Così, dopo aver sofferto con Elettroshock Daisy, Vol. 01, ho deciso di concentrarmi su qualcosa di breve per riprendermi dalla fatica.

Non sapevo di cosa parlasse, se non le poche info scritte sul retro. E non sapevo che provenisse da una serie di romanzi di grande successo. Quindi ho cominciato la lettura con la mente completamente libera.

All'inizio è stato un po' difficile entrare nella storia. Si comincia con una breve scena ambient
Nicole Bunge
I have a mildly odd perspective on this, since I read the manga just as I finished the chapters in the book.
So when I say 'the book is better' it's not just the overall general scoffing.
The material is just a little... dense, to be depicted in visuals. So much of the journey is internal dialog, and Kieli realizing things on her own, since neither she nor Harvey talk much. You also don't get much perspective in the visuals for the culture of the 'alien' planet or the 'war' that decimated it. (And
Brittany Beavers
I loved this first Vol. Kiele is a girl who can see ghost and talk to them. She has always felt like the strange girl around her boarding school and out of place. In fact she prefers the company of ghost to living people. She has a chance meeting with Harvey, a unique individual with that same ability as her except there is a lot more to how he has it then her. She doesnt know how or why she has this ability. Character wise, I love them. Harvey while the more serious and loner type of person he ...more
Lexie
Kieli is a manga that I picked up for no other reason then I had extra money and it looked interesting. That's the honest truth. I'd heard nothing about it, didn't read it in the store first, didn't even look at the back cover! I just felt like I had to read it. I'm glad I had that feeling, Kieli is a wonderful manga.

The story opens with a short recounting of the War and the Undying. The War was pretty brutal, made more brutal by the Undying--soldiers stitched together from dead men who were pra
Vicki
Good solid volume 1, altho I thought it would be gearing up to a longer series but apparently it ends after only 2 volumes (however the manga is based on a series of 9 light novels, which are apparently all going to be translated by Yen Press ).

This is a story of a girl who can see ghosts, a very old invincible soldier, and a possessed radio...yes it really is. However its not a wacky comedy, its an atmospheric fantasy which is surprisingly enjoyable. However reading just one volume of it seems
Chelsea
This series seems really interesting. All the characters are great and it is interesting to see how they interact differently around different people. I look forward to seeing more about the relationship between Kieli and Harvey as well as what ghosts Kieli comes across in the next volume.

Contains Chapters 1 - 3
Chapter 1: Roommate
Chapter 2: May I See Your Ticket?
Chapter 3: Cheers For The Blood - Soaked Clown
Lesley
This series is absolutely charming, and I loved it. The characters are endearing, the plot is lovely and sweet, and yet remains exciting. I thought the ghost in the radio was a little lame, but overall didn't mind it enough to make me love this 2-vol series any less. Can't wait to read the light novels! Here's hoping they keep publishing them, since other light novel series I've been reading have disappeared in the recession (I'm looking at you, Full Metal Panic).

It was also nice to have just 2
Cel Red
La historia es interesante, aunque hay que darle un poco de tiempo, porque las partes en donde Kieli está en el internado pueden resultar un poco tediosas si uno no está con humor de eso. Lo mejor es cuando van soltando detalles del mundo en donde todo se desarrolla, cuando hablan de la guerra o cuando se cuenta la historia de Harvey. Tal vez lo peor del manga es que tarde en llegar a eso, porque al principio, no es tan interesante.

Hay varios temas que toca el manga, como la existencia de dios,
Mark
Meet Kieli, a little orphan girl who can see ghosts. Her parents gone when she can barely remember anything. Her grandmother who took care of her died when she was probably seven years old. Grew up alone, she gets used to being lonely and since develops some kind of sympathy towards wandering ghost. The problem is, most of the time she can't tell whether they're still living humans, or ghosts.

I picked this manga randomly from the piles of newly released manga. Never heard of it before. Didn't k
Dennis Yang
Great setting, I enjoyed reading this and would recommend it to others
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
Eighty years ago, a horrible war over the planet's resources broke out. To bring a swift end to the conflict, one side of the fight created the Undying, reanimated dead who were kept alive (and nearly impossible to kill) by a mysterious perpetural energy. After the war was over, the church had the Undying hunted down and exterminated.
Fast forward to the present: Kieli is an outcast at her school because of her strange behavior. Kieli's secret? She can see ghosts. Kieli is all alone until she me
Elisabeth
Absolutely amazing! I love the art, the story, everything!
Elise K
Its not as long, but it is a good story.
Jennette
It was alright slightly boring :)
Monica
Slightly hard to read, but other than that I loved it!
*Queen Diva*
I've been reading a lot of paranormal manga lately and it's been awesome! I really liked this first volume, but is this manga really only two volumes long? Bummer! It's an interesting concept and storyline. I'd like to see more character development, especially with Harvey, but for being only a two volume series, things seem to be running along nicely in getting to know the characters.

I hope the last volume is satisfying!
Sean O'Hara
This isn't a bad adaptation of the first Kieli novel, but it doesn't really add anything besides illustrations (and even then, the original contained plenty of those as well). Also kinda annoying that each chapter begins with a recap of previous events.
Cute story, nice art, kind of annoying to re-read the same intro with each chapter, but so it goes with manga that was first serialized. Unfortunately, my library does not have part two, so I will turn to scanlation (never as good as I want it to be). Worth picking up for Kieli's character alone, but some side characters are worth noticing, too. Very interesting supernatural premise/element.
Annice22
I thought the beginning was a little slow but other than that this had a very good story. The main characters were fun as well as the story was interesting.

Kieli is teenager who can see ghost and until she met Harvey, she thought she was the only one who could. Really interesting story, I can't wait to read the second (which also the last) volume.
Dru
I definitely didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. This is the story of Kieli, a girl who can see ghosts, and her travelling companion Harvey, an ancient soldier who is immortal. Great artwork, good characterization, and a lot of substance made this a good read. Definitely will be trying the second volume.
Titis Wardhana
Baca sinopsisnya anak perempuan yang bisa melihat hantu, iya sih memang ada hantu2nya, tapi lebih fokus ke cerita si undead yg bernama Harvey yg ternyata seorang prajurit di waktu perang yang jantungnya terbuat dari batu sehingga gak bisa mati dan tubuhnya bisa regenerasi.
Mike
Quick thoughts: Wonderful twist on traditional ghost stories with a unique parallel concept of the Undying adding intrigue. Kieli's a strong protagonist and I'm looking forward to both the other volume and trying out the related light novels.
Dorcas
I liked this one more than I thought I would, what with all the jadedness from the undying young man countered with the innocence of the girl who can see ghosts.
Balee
i love this book its the best book ever!!!
SHay.D
SHay.D marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Shoujo Manga Book...: Kieli Discussion 8 9 Aug 23, 2014 01:24PM
  • Kaze Hikaru, Volume 1
  • Blood+, Vol. 02 (Blood+, #2)
  • Love in the Mask (Love in the Mask #1)
  • Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro, Volume 1
  • Code:Breaker, Vol. 01 (Code:Breaker, #1)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 3 (Ghost Hunt, #3)
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Arisa, Vol. 08 (Arisa, #8)
  • Psycho Busters 1
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 6
  • Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things

Kieli Manga (2 books)
  • Kieli, Vol. 2
Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness Kieli, Vol. 2 Kieli, Volume 2: White Wake on the Sand Kieli, Volume 3: Prisoners Bound for Another Planet Kieli, Volume 4: Long Night Beside a Deep Pool