Start by marking “Kieli, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Kieli, Vol. 1

Kieli, Vol. 1 (Kieli Manga #1)

Kieli sees ghosts. It's an odd ability for a 14-year-old girl, and it makes her a bit of an outcast at her boarding school. Her only friend, in fact, is the (semi-) departed spirit of a girl who used to inhabit her room. That is until the two encounter a young man who appears to share Kieli's "gift." It doesn't take long to discover, though, Harvey is an altogether differe ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Yen Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kieli, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kieli, Vol. 1

Lex Marie
Jul 25, 2011 Lex Marie rated it really liked it
Kieli drew my attention one day while scanning the manga section of Borders. The synopsis on the back was vague, but piqued my interest enough for me to pick the two volumes up.
Kieli follows the story of Kieli, a young girl who is brought up by the church (which has total control over society) after her grandmother passes. She finds it strange that there's no God in the church and has her own theory as to why that is. Kieli has the ability to see the dead and when she meets Harvey, one of the la
Mike
Oct 07, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Quick thoughts: Wonderful twist on traditional ghost stories with a unique parallel concept of the Undying adding intrigue. Kieli's a strong protagonist and I'm looking forward to both the other volume and trying out the related light novels.
Lexie
Oct 04, 2009 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gns-owned-read
Kieli is a manga that I picked up for no other reason then I had extra money and it looked interesting. That's the honest truth. I'd heard nothing about it, didn't read it in the store first, didn't even look at the back cover! I just felt like I had to read it. I'm glad I had that feeling, Kieli is a wonderful manga.

The story opens with a short recounting of the War and the Undying. The War was pretty brutal, made more brutal by the Undying--soldiers stitched together from dead men who were pra
Soobie's heartbroken
Erano anni che questo breve manga mi guardava dallo scaffale. Così, dopo aver sofferto con Elettroshock Daisy, Vol. 01, ho deciso di concentrarmi su qualcosa di breve per riprendermi dalla fatica.

Non sapevo di cosa parlasse, se non le poche info scritte sul retro. E non sapevo che provenisse da una serie di romanzi di grande successo. Quindi ho cominciato la lettura con la mente completamente libera.

All'inizio è stato un po' difficile entrare nella storia. Si comincia con una breve scena ambient
Brittany Beavers
Sep 13, 2013 Brittany Beavers rated it it was amazing
I loved this first Vol. Kiele is a girl who can see ghost and talk to them. She has always felt like the strange girl around her boarding school and out of place. In fact she prefers the company of ghost to living people. She has a chance meeting with Harvey, a unique individual with that same ability as her except there is a lot more to how he has it then her. She doesnt know how or why she has this ability. Character wise, I love them. Harvey while the more serious and loner type of person he ...more
Nicole Bunge
Sep 29, 2012 Nicole Bunge rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, manga-general
I have a mildly odd perspective on this, since I read the manga just as I finished the chapters in the book.
So when I say 'the book is better' it's not just the overall general scoffing.
The material is just a little... dense, to be depicted in visuals. So much of the journey is internal dialog, and Kieli realizing things on her own, since neither she nor Harvey talk much. You also don't get much perspective in the visuals for the culture of the 'alien' planet or the 'war' that decimated it. (And
Gusfina
--- Kieli 1-2 ---
Plot: Ok
Gambar: Ok
Penokohan: Saya suka penggambaran tokoh Komandan dan Harvey

Awalnya menjadi komik favoritku sebelum saya mengetahui tamat sesungguhnya di format Light Novel^^
Beberapa cerita awal mengambil plot yang simpel dan manis. Alur cerita pas dan penggambarannya sangat oke. Makin kebelakang kisahnya makin menampakkan konflik sesungguhnya yang bikin greget juga bacanya. Saya menikmati buku ini. Oh-- awalnya saya berharap buku ini bukan cuma dua volume. Saya bahkan mencari
Vicki
May 28, 2009 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
Good solid volume 1, altho I thought it would be gearing up to a longer series but apparently it ends after only 2 volumes (however the manga is based on a series of 9 light novels, which are apparently all going to be translated by Yen Press ).

This is a story of a girl who can see ghosts, a very old invincible soldier, and a possessed radio...yes it really is. However its not a wacky comedy, its an atmospheric fantasy which is surprisingly enjoyable. However reading just one volume of it seems
Lesley
Sep 22, 2009 Lesley rated it it was amazing
This series is absolutely charming, and I loved it. The characters are endearing, the plot is lovely and sweet, and yet remains exciting. I thought the ghost in the radio was a little lame, but overall didn't mind it enough to make me love this 2-vol series any less. Can't wait to read the light novels! Here's hoping they keep publishing them, since other light novel series I've been reading have disappeared in the recession (I'm looking at you, Full Metal Panic).

It was also nice to have just 2
Cel Red
Jun 24, 2013 Cel Red rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
La historia es interesante, aunque hay que darle un poco de tiempo, porque las partes en donde Kieli está en el internado pueden resultar un poco tediosas si uno no está con humor de eso. Lo mejor es cuando van soltando detalles del mundo en donde todo se desarrolla, cuando hablan de la guerra o cuando se cuenta la historia de Harvey. Tal vez lo peor del manga es que tarde en llegar a eso, porque al principio, no es tan interesante.

Hay varios temas que toca el manga, como la existencia de dios,
Mark
Oct 22, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, manga
Meet Kieli, a little orphan girl who can see ghosts. Her parents gone when she can barely remember anything. Her grandmother who took care of her died when she was probably seven years old. Grew up alone, she gets used to being lonely and since develops some kind of sympathy towards wandering ghost. The problem is, most of the time she can't tell whether they're still living humans, or ghosts.

I picked this manga randomly from the piles of newly released manga. Never heard of it before. Didn't k
Chelsea
This series seems really interesting. All the characters are great and it is interesting to see how they interact differently around different people. I look forward to seeing more about the relationship between Kieli and Harvey as well as what ghosts Kieli comes across in the next volume.

Contains Chapters 1 - 3
Chapter 1: Roommate
Chapter 2: May I See Your Ticket?
Chapter 3: Cheers For The Blood - Soaked Clown
Ashley Amendolaro
Dec 30, 2014 Ashley Amendolaro rated it really liked it
This book mostly served two of my deepest, childhood obsessions - anime romance and the paranormal. Obviously it's not an anime, but it has a manga element, and it was so interesting and innovative to see those mediums brought together on one platform.

Now, I'm only not so thrilled because, as I understand it, there's upwards of 9 volumes? I'm going to lose a lot of money and sleep to this... -_-
Sean O'Hara
Jun 22, 2012 Sean O'Hara rated it it was ok
This isn't a bad adaptation of the first Kieli novel, but it doesn't really add anything besides illustrations (and even then, the original contained plenty of those as well). Also kinda annoying that each chapter begins with a recap of previous events.
Miss Ryoko
Sep 03, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
I've been reading a lot of paranormal manga lately and it's been awesome! I really liked this first volume, but is this manga really only two volumes long? Bummer! It's an interesting concept and storyline. I'd like to see more character development, especially with Harvey, but for being only a two volume series, things seem to be running along nicely in getting to know the characters.

I hope the last volume is satisfying!
Annice22
I thought the beginning was a little slow but other than that this had a very good story. The main characters were fun as well as the story was interesting.

Kieli is teenager who can see ghost and until she met Harvey, she thought she was the only one who could. Really interesting story, I can't wait to read the second (which also the last) volume.
Jan 24, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: 漫画
Cute story, nice art, kind of annoying to re-read the same intro with each chapter, but so it goes with manga that was first serialized. Unfortunately, my library does not have part two, so I will turn to scanlation (never as good as I want it to be). Worth picking up for Kieli's character alone, but some side characters are worth noticing, too. Very interesting supernatural premise/element.
Dru
Aug 24, 2010 Dru rated it liked it
I definitely didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. This is the story of Kieli, a girl who can see ghosts, and her travelling companion Harvey, an ancient soldier who is immortal. Great artwork, good characterization, and a lot of substance made this a good read. Definitely will be trying the second volume.
Titis Wardhana
Baca sinopsisnya anak perempuan yang bisa melihat hantu, iya sih memang ada hantu2nya, tapi lebih fokus ke cerita si undead yg bernama Harvey yg ternyata seorang prajurit di waktu perang yang jantungnya terbuat dari batu sehingga gak bisa mati dan tubuhnya bisa regenerasi.
Dorcas
Feb 06, 2009 Dorcas rated it really liked it
I liked this one more than I thought I would, what with all the jadedness from the undying young man countered with the innocence of the girl who can see ghosts.
Abby Ang
Feb 29, 2016 Abby Ang rated it really liked it
I like this sort of stuff to begin with
Monica
Apr 23, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
Slightly hard to read, but other than that I loved it!
Rachael
Interesting story concept and very nice art, but the story and story panels are not organized well and get very confusing at times. Not bad, but could be better.
Balee
Nov 28, 2011 Balee rated it it was amazing
i love this book its the best book ever!!!
Elisabeth
Apr 02, 2015 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! I love the art, the story, everything!
Snow
Jun 07, 2008 Snow rated it really liked it
reviewed for No Flying No Tights and Teen Reads
Elise K
Mar 23, 2014 Elise K rated it liked it
Shelves: awesome
Its not as long, but it is a good story.
Amber Vrenna
Aug 07, 2016 Amber Vrenna rated it it was amazing
Fantastic manga! The storyline is great and the characters are really likable. I'm looking forward to the next (and last volume).
Diana-Katry Kornis
Jan 22, 2017 Diana-Katry Kornis rated it it was amazing
I see the word "ghosts", I will be into it :D I love the story! I would be very happy if I could get the chance to read the next volumes :)
Dennis Yang
Mar 15, 2014 Dennis Yang rated it it was amazing
Great setting, I enjoyed reading this and would recommend it to others
Shoujo Manga Book...: * Kieli Discussion 9 22 Jul 04, 2017 10:43AM
  • Kaze Hikaru, Vol. 1
  • Love in the Mask (Love in the Mask #1)
  • Blood+, Vol. 02 (Blood+, #2)
  • Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro, Volume 1
  • Code:Breaker, Vol. 01 (Code:Breaker, #1)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 4 (Ghost Hunt, #4)
  • Psycho Busters 1
  • Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise, #1)
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Arisa, Vol. 05 (Arisa, #5)
  • Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 6