Start by marking “My Friend Jamal” as Want to Read:
My Friend Jamal

My Friend Jamal

Jamal and Joseph were born in the same hospital in the same month. Now they’re best friends. The two like to play at one another’s homes. Joseph’s mom knows Jamal can’t eat pork sausages because he’s Muslim. She knows, too, that he can’t have ice cream because of his eczema. Some things that happen at Jamal’s house are a lot different from Joseph’s: the food his mother pre ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Annick Press (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Friend Jamal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Friend Jamal

Chanae Wills
Oct 03, 2012 Chanae Wills rated it really liked it
This story is a narrative from Joseph’s perspective about his best friend Jamal. Jamal is Somali American and Joseph is American with a Polish background. Joseph tells about the similarities between him and his best friend Jamal, and he also tells about the amazing differences that he likes about Jamal. For example, “we were born in the exact same month, so we started kindergarten at the same time.” “At Jamal’s we get to eat sitting on the floor. It’s like a picnic every day! My favorite thing t ...more
Kathleen Garber
Sep 20, 2008 Kathleen Garber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: annick-press
This is the first book in the new My Friend Series depicting children from different cultures and how they live. As for the art, the heads are photographs of real people but their bodies are drawn in by Ben Frey. As for their surroundings, you will find a little of both kinds of art.

In the book we are introduce to quite a few different aspects of Jamal’s life. Jamal is Somalian and here are just some of the things we find out about his family: Jamal’s parents came from Somalia and sometimes his
Tanika
Apr 15, 2011 Tanika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, somalia
This story is about a boy named Joseph and his best friend Jamal. They are both born the same month and in the same hospital. Jamal is Somali and Joseph is Polish. The story is written as if Joseph is the narrator and he compares his family to Jamal’s. Jamal’s mom knows three different languages but she had to go to college to learn English. Joseph has learned so much from Jamal’s family and visa versa. I think this is a good book because it reaches so much. This book reminds me of Dr. Martin Lu ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Apr 29, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Beaming boyhood bliss pops from zesty action-packed photography-and-paint collage as a spunky seven year old proudly presents the shared adventures and intriguing details of life with his very best bud, Jamal -- who happens to be Somali.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

saferia
Jun 22, 2015 saferia rated it really liked it
Joseph and Jamal were born at the same hospital, and became best friends in kindergarten. Joseph shares the similarities and differences of their families; food, customs, dress, etc. There are many, since Jamal's parents come from Somalia and are Muslim, and Joseph is of Polish herritage. Joseph shares the games that they play and the events they attend together. This is a great story for respectfully celebrating differences and embracing the similarities within a friendship.
Christie Suh
This book is about two boys who are best friends. Even with their different cultures (one child is American and the other is Muslim) these two boys learn to appreciate one another. It's a good book about friendship.
Salsabrarian
A Canadian boy describes his best friendship with Jamal, whose family came from Somalia to escape war. He notes the interesting differences between his and Jamal's family and what he enjoys most about being friends with Jamal. Exuberant and boyish.
Sharmin
An American boy tells about his friend Jamal, who is a Muslim. they both have different lives but yet they are similar. This book teaches about acceptace of different cultures. It is an interesting book, children will really enjoy the real pictures and touching story about friendship!
Ashley Correll
Jan 26, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it it was amazing
This book is very good! An American boy tells us (the reader) about his friend Jamal, who is Muslim. They both have different lives, but yet they are very similar.
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Katie Newton
Katie Newton rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Muna
Muna rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2017
Somia Shah
Somia Shah rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2016
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Carol Ekster
Carol Ekster rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Fardowsa Moha
Sep 28, 2012 Fardowsa Moha rated it really liked it
Very nice story..
Natasha North
Natasha North rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
Kelechi
Kelechi rated it really liked it
May 04, 2010
Kate
May 09, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Strongly dislike.
Laura Byrd
Mar 12, 2009 Laura Byrd rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure- I'm friends with the author. I love the idea of this series. Great book.
Anna
Jan 02, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lupine
Lupine rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Sydney Conzemius
Sydney Conzemius rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Kristen Herzog
Kristen Herzog rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Missy
Missy rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2009
Omayma Elshishini
Omayma Elshishini rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Dakota
Dakota rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2008
george
george marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2008
Hannah
Hannah added it
Sep 07, 2009
Danica Midlil
Danica Midlil marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2011
Tiffany Rachann
Tiffany Rachann marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
Zahra
Zahra added it
Nov 25, 2012
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Cxasan5hotmail.com
Cxasan5hotmail.com marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Hodan
Hodan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Kynshasa Mcdaniel
Kynshasa Mcdaniel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Elmi
Elmi marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Voni
Voni marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Sahra
Sahra marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Hemi
Hemi marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr
More about Anna McQuinn...