The Ghost Next Door

The Ghost Next Door

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Sherry Alston had never been told about her dead half-sister Miranda. So when Sherry came to visit her Aunt Judith, no one could explain the odd things that started to happen. Who was the elusive friend Sherry said she saw in the garden? Was she an imaginary playmate - or could she be the ghost of Miranda who had drowned in the pond years ago? Uncanny reminders of Miranda...more
Published 1972 by Archway Paperback (first published January 1st 1971)

Joanie
I read this book over and over. I can't remember exactly how the story goes-I think a girl is staying with her aunt and she and her friend find things left behind by the ghost of a girl who drowned? I remember a scene with an owl made out of cement and another where the ghost girl leaves behind carnations she's dyed blue and the girls try to find out what happened to the ghost girl. Loved it.
Andria
I knew I read and loved this book as a kid but couldn't remember a single detail about it. Unlike all the people who vaguely recall something about a ghost and a blue rose or a stone owl with "love in its eyes" or the ghost of a half-sister who drowned but can't place the title, I've always remembered that I once had a favorite book named The Ghost Next Door (and Wylly Folk St. John is such an awesome name, how could I ever forget that?) but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what that book...more
Melissa McCauley
Still Remember This From the 70s….

I loved THE GHOST NEXT DOOR in grade school, and it is dated, but it’s still a pretty good supernatural children’s book, nonetheless.

Twelve-year-old Lindsey Morrow lives near Atlanta, where the houses are surrounded by large, wooded lots and many of the neighbors are doctors of one kind or another. She and her best friend, Tammy, begin to investigate when strange things occur around Sherry Alston - a visiting niece of their next-door neighbor. Is Sherry really...more
Riley Aeryn
I first read this book when I was a child, in grade school, and fell in love with it right away. I read and reread the book voraciously until I had to return it to the school library. After that I couldn't find the book, and when I tried to look for it anywhere all I came up with is a book with the same name in "Goosebumps" (I grew up prior to the invention of the internet).

Thankfully, with the help of the all knowing internet, I was able to find the book again and cherish it over and over.

The s...more
Jenifer
I hve this book on my shelf of books that I saved from my youth. When my friend Jenn gave it four stars recently, I couldn't resist picking it up for the first time in probably 25 years. I couldn't remember a thing about it, but the fact that I still have it means that I probably loooooved it when I was a kid. I wish I had a goodreads review from my childhood self! This was very good and very creepy, and not at all condescending. Holds up well over time. I enjoyed reading this a lot. Back it goe...more
I remember finding this book on the "free time" shelf in second grade and hiding it under my folder so my teacher wouldn't see me reading it, thinking an adult book had mistakenly been dropped into our tiny library. The cover was haunting (no pun intended). I wish I could find it again.
Kris
Definitely a read for a younger audience, though I quite enjoyed and read it in one afternoon/evening. The end felt a bit forced to me but I like the open ending, was there a ghost or not?
C.
I see Wylly Folk St. John was publishing before I was born. Having the pleasure now, I realize she shares the high calibre of pre & post 1970s authors like Richard Peck. It's a blessing to find long ago titles on discount tables. To my delight, I discovered I own another Wylly story: "The Mystery Book Mystery" (1976)! There’s a special touch to pre-1980s mysteries: less distraction with gadgets and being more in tune with surroundings. Nothing dates these novels except language and courtesy....more
Alissa Bach
A blast from the past:

Loved this book as a child and re-read it... And it's just as good as I remember!

Two Tween girls (neighbors & best friends) try to get to the bottom of some possible paranormal occurences that have started to take place around their neighbor Miss Judith's house and yard. The Ghost, if it does exist, is thought to be the restless spirit of Miss Judith's much-beloved niece, Miranda, who drowned on the property several years earlier. Of course the girls believe there has t...more
Aliya
Good book for children, I definitely read it at the wrong age, but I still liked it. If I had read it when I was younger I would have liked it more back then. It's a mystery about a young girl, Miranda who had died 13 years prior to the setting of the story. Her father and aunt have not informed her father's second wife and daughter, Sherry about her. Sherry starts doing, finding and knowing things she shouldn't have knowledge about. She claims she is talking to Miranda, but the next door neighb...more
Dina
This was a deliciously creepy book! I found it at a yardsale last Saturday and knew that I remembered the cover from when I saw it as a kid (it's not the same cover as is listed here on Goodreads). I loved every page of this book, and rated it 5 stars, which is not something I do very often. A book really has to grab me for me to rate it a 5. I recommend this book to anyone liking a good spooky mystery. I loved the ending too!
Cassandra Javier
A classic, and a good one at that. It tells about the story of Sherry, who once lived next to the author's home, and died. It's about her own "secret garden", and the mysteries that abound in there. It's a dark, haunting, creepy book--and it's really good. Not too popular, and underrated, so you probably haven't heard of this, but it's truly worth reading.

Oh, and P.S. I've loved the name "Sherry" ever since :D
Jessica Fure
I've been going nuts trying to remember the name of this book, which I read almost thirty years ago. Finally, tonight I tried a Google search with the words "owl pond ghost cement book." I couldn't believe this was the second result!
I don't think I'll re-read it, since it might not hold up well. I think I'll stick with my memories of it as a fairly good book.
Gatlianne Gatlianne
I don't recall where I got this book but I still have my original copy. I read this book over and over until the cover finally fell off. I made a new one with construction paper and painted the title on. I still pick this book up from time to time and re-read. It was one of my favorite books in my youth and I'm still drawn in when I re-read as an adult.
Jenn
My favorite book as a child! I always remembered reading it but just recently remembered the title after doing a lot of searching on the internet and re-read it again as an adult! Not nearly as scary as an adult but in elementary school this book was very eery and it was a book that I always remembered!
Ann
I remember this one from when i was a kid!! creepy creepy!

ETA: I just re-read this, from the only copy in the library system from 1972 (thanks, Evanston!) and the illustrations make it even better. It is apparently out of print now, but hopefully I can get a fix of it every so often.
Evilwink
Another child hood fave. This is the book that turned me on to the haunting stories I adore. My mother hid this book from me because she thought i was too young to read it. It was so eerie and suspenseful!
I definately need to order this book and read it as an adult.
Daria
Another childhood fave. Lindsay and Tammy are best friends and neighbors who try to figure out if Sherry (the neice of their neighbor Judith) is actually communicating with her half sister Miranda who dies before she was born. Still creepy to me all these years later!
Greta
I was really into this book when I was a young adult (a long time ago). It had an elegant creepiness that I still remember all these years later. Story involves the ghost of a girl drowned in a pond. Recently reread and still enjoyed it.
Cara
Jun 11, 2014 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 9-13
Recommended to Cara by: Taken from my sister's bookshelf
This book was one of my favorites when I was a girl, and I've just finished reading it aloud to my daughter. It was a joy to rediscover it with her, and the book is just as appealing now as it was over 30 years ago.
Particle_Person
A rather slow moving story. This author has written better books. The saving grace of this book (and even more in her other books) is the way she makes the children both very smart but also young-sounding.
B.J. Robinson
I enjoyed this read, especially the owl with love in his eyes. The description was vivid, and the characters were realistic. It's a great YA book and an easy, short read. I read it in one day.
Megan
I read this book every time I visited my Aunt's house and loved it so much she finally gave it to me. Still one of my favorite spooky stories to read during the summer.
Rose Vanden Eynden
LOVED this book as a kid and recently discovered here at Goodreads what it was called. Can't wait to get it out of the library to read again!
Shawn
Loved this book as a tween and just gave it to my tween daughter to read (my old original copy)....hope she likes it as much as I did.
krystal
Nov 28, 2007 krystal rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes not sceary ghhost stories
The book is good but not that scary.If you were to read it i think you would like it. it's about kids that have a friend that died.
Joy
I read this when i was a kid. I think I am going to try to find it and read it over. I do think as i kid I liked it.
Ticklish Owl
This was one of my favorite books as a kid, loved the owl statue. Need to find a copy to read it again.
Kim
Yet another favorite from childhood. Would love to re-read it again, if only I could find it!
One of my favorite books from my childhood. I should bring it home for Madeleine to read.
  • The Ghosts
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • The Ghost Belonged to Me (Blossom Culp, #1)
  • Ghosts
  • Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories
  • Help! Wanted: Tales of On-The-Job Terror
  • The Pines
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
Wylly Folk St. John was a popular and successful author of children's mystery books and an Atlanta journalist whose work was much admired across America in the mid 20th century.

She was born in 1908 in Bamberg County, SC. She loved to read and maintained an interest in reading and writing from an early age; she even published a poem at the age of 9. She grew up in Savannah where her family had move...more
More about Wylly Folk St. John...
The Secret of the Seven Crows The Mystery of the Gingerbread House The Secrets of the Pirate Inn Uncle Robert's Secret The Secrets of Hidden Creek