Start by marking “Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times” as Want to Read:
Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times

Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times

For more than eight hundred years, Tibetan Buddhists have used the principles of lojong (literally meaning "mind training") to transform difficulties into insights, and conflict into genuine communication. Awakening Compassion is the first full-length audio retreat on the practice of lojong taught by Pema ChAdrAn. With many on-the-spot techniques for dealing with jealousy, ...more
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published November 1st 2003 by Sounds True (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Compassion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Compassion

Sparrow
This is my favorite-favorite of all of Pema Chodron’s lectures. I haven’t listened to this one in a while, but it was really influential in my total life overhaul last year.

My favorite part of this lecture is Pema Chodron’s description of the Buddhist idea of ego, which is so different, I think, from the western idea of ego, which is more like hubris. But, I do think that the two descriptions are different ways to get at the same thing. They both see ego as something that alienates us from othe
T.Kay Browning
Jun 05, 2016 T.Kay Browning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awakening Compassion is one of the most important books that I have read or listened to in a long time. I had as many deeply impactful moments listening to this as I have had in a while, and I still missed plenty of what was going on. The most important insight for me was that we are all born with this soft spot in our soul, so tender and vulnerable that we build all sorts of walls around it. We feel the urge to distance ourselves so much from this place, but still recognize the fountain of stre ...more
Cynthia
May 08, 2017 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Combine a voice that sounds a little like Teri Gross, a self-deprecating laugh, and wisdown--you've got Pema Chodron's workshops recorded on the audio book. I just bought one of her books, but I'm glad I was introduced to this Buddhist nun through her own words. I have been practicing yoga on and off most of my life, dabbling in meditation, but wanting something more. This book, which tackles the particular kind of practice called lojong; not everyone may appreciate this, but it's a very good fi ...more
Happyreader
Nov 09, 2008 Happyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This installment of my audio Pema-palooza is all about what to do when we hit our edge – those moments where suddenly everything feels so solid and we’re anxious or angry and frantic to do something about it, to get illusory ground beneath our feet, desperate for resolution. These lengthy lectures on tonglen practice (breathing in what is difficult, breathing out what is helpful to create space around difficult emotions and awaken compassion) and the lojong (mind training) slogans are ultimately ...more
MaryJohanna
Another great series of lectures and discussions on meditation, with an advanced section on the practice of tonglen.

From the Pema Chodron website: "The tonglen practice is a method for connecting with suffering — ours and that which is all around us — everywhere we go. It is a method for overcoming fear of suffering and for dissolving the tightness of our heart. Primarily it is a method for awakening the compassion that is inherent in all of us, ... "
LemontreeLime
One of the very best audios you could listen to on this. I love how Pema can say things in a real earthy fashion while pulling in the big picture perspective AND be funny at the same time. She is one of the best! There is a lot on the lojong meditation practice in here too, but the most important part is all the discussions on how to work with life itself.

relistened to this in oct, 2015. This is still my favorite.
Paige
Feb 24, 2013 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this one a 3.5 if I could. I really enjoyed listening to Pema Chodron on my way to and from work. Some of the content was too advanced for me (or maybe too buddhist for me?), but she gave me a great deal to think about and I have found some of the "slogans" and practices that she discussed to be very useful in everyday life. I will be looking for more from this author/speaker.
Sarah Evan
Pema is so wise to listen to, and there's lots of wisdom packed in this audio recording that I wish was available written. I feel I could re-listen (several times?!) and continue to learn about these revelations, ruminations, and modes of responding. Available from SFPL.
Gizzard
Oct 02, 2012 Gizzard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chodron always gives me a different understanding of some of the meditation practices. Of course there is plenty to think about. Now, just to put into practice the ONE thing she says to do- change my behaviour in a reoccuring situation that is problematic.
Carolyn
An entertaining and realistic look at the challenges of living mindfully and compassionately in the 'real' world. Be warned though, she uses some colorful language. Certainly nothing I hadn't heard before, but shocking, to me, coming from a Buddhist nun.
Sigrun Hodne
If it had been possible I would have gone to study with Pema Chodron. Since it isn't, I have to go for second best - listening to her wonderful teachings on audio. I believe she must be the wisest woman around.
Mathias Perez
Mar 26, 2013 Mathias Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman is a treasure. She presents her lessons without judgment and offers brilliant insight.
Bea
Sep 06, 2011 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: buddhists and aspiring buddhists
I didn't rate this when I listened to it but I've never listened to Pema Chödrön without learning something valuable.
Elizabeth
Mar 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
1995 6 cassettes
Dominic
Jun 17, 2010 Dominic marked it as to-read
This is an 6-CD audio on meditation by my favorite Buddhist author, Pema Chödrön. It is also the impetus for my summer Meditation Retreat of one.
Debbe
Nov 27, 2013 Debbe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said it several times before....
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2009
Tami Scroggins
Tami Scroggins rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Maja Lisa
Maja Lisa rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Linda Wright
Linda Wright rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Hailey Johnson
Hailey Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2011
Kisa Sandoval
Kisa Sandoval rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Carrie D Bennett
Carrie D Bennett rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Matias Cartledge
Matias Cartledge rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Peter Wallace
Peter Wallace rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Adi
Adi rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
May 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Buddhism for Beginners: A Complete Course on the Heart of the Buddha's Teachings
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation
  • The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective
  • Turning the Mind Into an Ally
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Transcendence: Healing and Transformation Through Transcendental Meditation
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...