Start by marking “Awakening Loving-Kindness” as Want to Read:
Awakening Loving-Kindness

Awakening Loving-Kindness

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Based on talks given during a one-month meditation retreat at Gampo Abbey, this book contains teachings that were intended to inspire and encourage practitioners to remain wholeheartedly awake to everything that occurs and to use the abundant material of daily life as their primary teacher and guide. The message for the retreat participants—and for the reader as well—is to ...more
Paperback, Abridged, 192 pages
Published November 5th 1996 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Loving-Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Loving-Kindness

Nancy
Read for the umpteenth time -- always by my bed. Wonderfully inspriring.
Heidi
wish more people read this one...
Kris Basiltung
Pema was my first significant step onto the road to enlightenment. To read or listen to her words is a pure joy. She possesses wit, charm and an abundance of knowledge while conveying the teachings. If you seek to devote your consciousness to enhancing your life and our world to a more blissful and compasionate level of being, I highly recommend all of her works for both the newbie and cultivated disciple. Your life may change.
Christine
I read this about a month ago, and just discovered it wasn't on my list!

This miniature book is an abridged version of Chodron's "The Wisdom of No Escape." For portability, this edition is wonderful, but I would also recommend reading the original in full. She discusses the differences between our ideal and real selves, and to hear about the relationship between those two unreconciled points of view from a spiritual person's perspective is refreshing and precious.
Hector
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is searching to awaken their loving-kindness; their innate goodness. The book also helps to deal with life's difficult moments. I know I'll be reading it again and again. Thanks to my friend for sending me this book at exactly the right time I needed it.
Leah
The pocket size is perfect. I keep this in my purse to read at times when I would otherwise be zoning out, impatient, texting gossip or some other unloving-unkind practice. I've been focusing deeply on cultivating metta in my life, so this book is a great little "stay mindful" companion.
Christopherseelie
A series of talks given over the course of a month-long retreat some 15 years ago, this book contains a lot of the foundations of meditation and frequent pitfalls facing the practitioner. Short, easy to read, and full of insight that can be directly applied to one's meditation practice.
Jim George
The kind of book that you leave on the passengers side of your car, and occassionally you pick it up and read for several minutes after you've parked your car. Nothing earth shattering found on these pages, yet the author offers reflective pleasant moments of repose.
Meghan Pinson
i always have this book with me, and i need it more than always. you can go bible-dipping in this book - stick a finger in and find your fortune. what do you need to hear today? the universe will tell pema, and pema will tell you.
Ellen Chamberlin
It ha practical stuff for people who want to help others. (U can't help others if You don't get very comfortable with all parts of yourself) i will think about this for a few days and read another Pema. She's for real.
Sara Foley
I loved this book. Sometimes books come along that seem to speak directly to me; this is one of them. Beautiful, gentle, wise and humble, this book was exactly what I needed.
Lauren
This is a pocket book filled with good information. If you're there, you'll like it. If not, don't worry about it.
Ray
I've read this little book twice. The second time was almost as fresh as the first. A gem.
Shanna
I read a chapter from this book everyday. Everytime I read it something new is revealed.
Caitlin
Feb 01, 2008 Caitlin is currently reading it
Trying to save it for my trip to rural Alaska. Love Pema Chodron.
Eliane Keast
I have this in pocket size and carry it with me for reference.
Amy
A great prospective on the practice of loving-kindness
Lizpaints
delightful guide to meditation.
Marie Dotson
I read this one again and again
Katharine Holden
Interesting, but not helpful to me.
Terri Taylor
In my bathroom!
Isabelle
À lire et relire. Compagnon de route.
Monica Rios
Monica Rios marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kimberly Scanlon
Kimberly Scanlon marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Reina
Reina is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • The Shambhala Principle: Discovering Humanity's Hidden Treasure
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • A Fearless Heart: How the Courage to Be Compassionate Can Transform Our Lives
  • The Great Mother: An Analysis of the Archetype (Bollingen)
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...
When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living The Wisdom of No Escape: How to Love Yourself and Your World Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion