Start by marking “A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win” as Want to Read:
A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win

A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Learn the fascinating game of American Mahjong with this expert guide.

This affordable best selling book is the only available game strategy guide that is specifically geared toward American Mahjong (Mah Jongg) and follows the official National Mah Jongg League rules. Offering first-time players an easy-to-follow guide to this complex game, A Beginner's Guide to American Ma
Published June 15th 2007 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg

Susan
Such a complex topic to cover. She was very organized in her presentation and I think I understood most of what she presented. Now, the trick will be to remember it, apply it, practice, and work on developing strategy skills. Previously, I had read through several sets of instructions from the web and became thoroughly confused. Looking forward to playing the game.
Trudy
If you are just starting to learn to play American Mah Jongg, this is the book you want to get. The instructions are spelled out very clearly, and there are quizzes and exercises to help you learn and remember the intricate rules of Mah Jongg as played in America. Sandberg also covers basic playing strategies. I found it extremely helpful. This book will give you the basic understanding you need to move on to more challenging Mah Jongg discussions by expert Tom Sloper.
Laura Cushing
I began this a few months ago, and have been working through the exercises in the book since. I will likely re-read it and work through them again in an attempt to improve my Mah Jongg game. This book provides helpful examples, full color illustrations, quizzes and exercises to get you into the game and learning.

Recommended for anyone who wants to learn American Mah Jongg, an excellent resource.
Leslie Mesmer
This is an easy book to read. It breaks down the game mahjong step by step. It is obviously not a book you will read from front to back in one setting.
It is though one that will be picked up and worked through one chapter at a time.
The examples and the exercises will definitely help you understand a game that is extremely confusing.
I will be coming back to this book as I try to learn the game.
Ben
Very good book for someone who has never played American Mah Jongg but wants to learn how to play the game.
Linda Benedict
Good overview and reference that I can go back to as needed.
Gay Dorsey
Great book! Easy to understand, helpful, informative.
Wg
This is the book to read if you want to play American Mah Jongg. As a newbie to AMJ, I was having difficulty organizing my tiles to see my potential my hand(s) during the Charleston and it was taking me too long to find the best hand. It was overwhelming me. Sandberg's tips turned my game around. One thing that has really helped, her suggestion to play solitaire mah jongg as an exercise in learning. I have only been playing once a week for the past 2 1/2 months. Reading this book has taken a fru ...more
Bygeorgemom
Excellent for learning how to play Mah Jongg!
Henry Le Nav
Oct 03, 2011 Henry Le Nav rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who wish to learn American mahjong.
Recommended to Henry by: Customer reviews at Amazon.
Excellent beginners book for learning American mahjong, but only American mahjong as determined by the National Mah Jongg League score card. The book includes a sample score card from 2004, which is not the current score card, but will teach you the game. The NMJL score card changes every year. Current 2011 score cards are available at the National Mah Jongg League:

It is also available at Amazon.com and a variety of on-line mahjong vendors.

If you are inter
Beth Stromberg
Apr 21, 2015 Beth Stromberg marked it as to-read
Clearly written, understandable guide to a fun game. A great brush up for rusty players, as well as a good guide for newbies.
Peggy Frandsen
Great introduction to a great game.
Marty
New game passion in retirement is Mah Jongg!! I have been playing for little over a year, and wanted to learn a bit more strategy if possible. This was a good beginner's book, but i realized as I read it that I had already learned most of the material through experience. Good review, and for the new player, it is, IMHO, very well organized and written to introduce a fairly complex game to newcomers.
Audrey Glick
Clear and concise .
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Our Delta Kappa Gamma chapter is getting together tomorrow night to try to teach some of us newbies how to play Mah Jongg. They're going to have a daunting task with me. I read this book but am totally confused about all the rules. I think I'll stick to Scrabble and other word games!
Marcy Heller
A little brain-training....learning this game has given me a new respect for all those bubbies who have been playing it for years.
Brenda
Jul 22, 2009 Brenda added it
Shelves: mah-jongg
Perfect!
Patty Carlson
Patty Carlson marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
kathleen
kathleen is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
richard hamby
richard hamby marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
American Mah Jongg: Strategies for Beginners Winning American Mah Jongg Strategies: A Guide for the Novice Player Play American Mah Jongg!: Everything you Need to Play American Mah Jongg Play American Mah Jongg! Kit: A Complete 152 Tile Mah Jongg Set with Detailed Instruction Book