Modesty: An Adornment for Life

Modesty: An Adornment for Life

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A clear and comprehensive delineation of the laws of modesty as outlined in Jewish law. This new bestseller provides insights and practical advice on all aspects of dress and behavior.
Published December 31st 1998 by Feldheim Publishers (first published June 1998)

Kressel Housman
May 01, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jewish women
Shelves: torah, jewish
Of all English-language books on the subject of tznius (modesty), this one is probably the best on the market. It's certainly the most comprehensive. It's meant to be used as a Halachic reference guide, and it covers every topic you can think of, from make-up to clothing to hair covering to behavior between men and women. There are also sections on developing an attitude of tznius, and I re-read these from time to time for an uplift.

I've heard people criticize this book as too strict. The autho...more
Fred
Aug 18, 2013 Fred added it
OMG

Every page is a horrifying gem!
Tali
Amazing and inspiring. The gateshead community is well know even outside of haredi circles, as is Rav Falk.
In many ways this is the 'go-to' book on tznius no matter what your hashkafa. Here everything is laid out in respectful, and even insightful ways. Rav Falk is obviously very stringent but the book gives a you a great deal of the halacha behind the stringencies (obviously a lot of stuff is minhag and varies according to time and place). I wouldn't recommend it to the new bt but for someone...more
Tzniutfashion
Kedushas Yisrael is so important today. The mitzvah of tznius is the most important mitzvah for the Jewish woman.

As a designer of modest clothing for Jewish women and girls, I have studied this book and its companion, "The Tznius Handbook" extensively, and am regularly reviewing it, in order to make sure that the garments I design meet halacha.

I believe this book and its companion are essential in any observant Jewish home.

My designs and garments can be purchased according to your custom measu...more
Alexis
May 16, 2009 Alexis added it
Modesty: An Adornment for Life by Pesach Eliyahu Falk (1998)
Eric Apel
Eric Apel marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Tehila
Tehila added it
Oct 18, 2012
Greer Hauptman
Greer Hauptman is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2012
Oriyah Nitkin
Oriyah Nitkin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Rebecca Wright
Rebecca Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2011
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
Korri
Korri marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2011
The Tznius Handbook: Educational Diagrams for Women and Girls Choson and Kallah during their Engagement Sheitels: A Halachic Guide to Present-day Sheitels