Start by marking “Modesty: An Adornment for Life” as Want to Read:
Modesty: An Adornment for Life

Modesty: An Adornment for Life

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A clear and comprehensive delineation of the laws of modesty as outlined in Jewish law. This new bestseller provides insights and practical advice on all aspects of dress and behavior.
Published December 31st 1998 by Feldheim Publishers (first published June 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Modesty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modesty

Kressel Housman
May 01, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jewish women
Shelves: jewish, torah
Of all English-language books on the subject of tznius (modesty), this one is probably the best on the market. It's certainly the most comprehensive. It's meant to be used as a Halachic reference guide, and it covers every topic you can think of, from make-up to clothing to hair covering to behavior between men and women. There are also sections on developing an attitude of tznius, and I re-read these from time to time for an uplift.

I've heard people criticize this book as too strict. The autho
Aug 18, 2013 Fred added it

Every page is a horrifying gem!
Amazing and inspiring. The gateshead community is well know even outside of haredi circles, as is Rav Falk.
In many ways this is the 'go-to' book on tznius no matter what your hashkafa. Here everything is laid out in respectful, and even insightful ways. Rav Falk is obviously very stringent but the book gives a you a great deal of the halacha behind the stringencies (obviously a lot of stuff is minhag and varies according to time and place). I wouldn't recommend it to the new bt but for someone
Kedushas Yisrael is so important today. The mitzvah of tznius is the most important mitzvah for the Jewish woman.

As a designer of modest clothing for Jewish women and girls, I have studied this book and its companion, "The Tznius Handbook" extensively, and am regularly reviewing it, in order to make sure that the garments I design meet halacha.

I believe this book and its companion are essential in any observant Jewish home.

My designs and garments can be purchased according to your custom measu
May 16, 2009 Alexis added it
Modesty: An Adornment for Life by Pesach Eliyahu Falk (1998)
Michael Lindner
Michael Lindner marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Hannah added it
Nov 08, 2015
Jb17112 marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Steven Sochet
Steven Sochet marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Batya marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Britni marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Eric Apel
Eric Apel marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Helyn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Tehila added it
Oct 18, 2012
Zach marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Oriyah Nitkin
Oriyah Nitkin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012