Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert)

Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A great book providing expert instruction for the beginner to the intermediate rock climber. Intended to help recreational climbers form a solid foundation from which to build their skills. The approach is based on safe and efficient climbing practices that give the best odds of avoiding climbing accidents.
Published March 1st 2004 by Mountaineers Books

Rob
Apr 26, 2008 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: novice and intermediate climbers
Shelves: climbing, own, bedside, 2008
As a relatively new climber (i.e., as of this writing, I've been climbing about 7 months), I found that this was a good introductory text to keep around. Granted, climbing is not something you really want to read-then-do; think of the reading as a good supplement to your training and climbing.

I enjoyed how Luebben dives right into the material; he keeps the introduction short and then goes immediately into the science and sport of rock climbing. He writes in a colloquial style that is easy to di...more
James Mayfield
Being somewhat new to rock climbing, but climbing with more experienced climbers this book helped me understand better what my friend would tell me to do and show me to do. It is also a good book to double check all of the knots and safety systems that I have been taught to make sure they are being used properly and to change anything that we or I might be doing wrong. Reading this book makes me want to go out and challenge myself on some tougher multi-pitch climbs.
Colin Price
I skipped the chapters on trad and big wall climbing (two things I don't feel even close to ready to tackle any time soon) but overall found this guide to be informative and well written (despite the frequent use of the word "bomber"). The hard part, and granted, I knew this going into the book, is really in translating written directions and pictures into important skills like knot tying and self rescue. These are no doubt best learned through hands-on training, but a guide like this is a good...more
javier
I found that this was a great reference book. Clearly this book should not be the only source of knowledge when attempting to climb (safety classes etc are recommended). But I found that this book helped me gain confidence in what I knew versus what is considered to be good practice.

For me, the highlights of the book included covering basic knots and use cases for them; rope care; the basics of placing protection for trad climbing; and rappelling.
Ryan
This is a nice overview of different rock climbing styles. Since multipitch trad climbing is more complicated in its techniques and gear, almost half the book is written on that topic. But its still good to see the principles of safe anchors and self rescue, even if they won't be used in casual bouldering or sport climbing.
Nathan Eckman
Comprehensive. This book is an exhaustive overview of basic rock climbing skills. It can be a bit mundane but the knowledge it provides would cost thousands through personal lessons.
Karina
Not super helpful...but climbing is one of those things you learn by doing, not by reading about it! I do like the section about rope management and knots.
C
Mar 23, 2008 C rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning rock climbers
Shelves: sports
good book for the novice/intermediate climber. makes a good reference book too.
Tom
Great book. A must have for any climber
John
John added it
Jul 08, 2014
Jon Tillman
Jon Tillman is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Eric George
Eric George marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Grace Demassa
Grace Demassa marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kristin
Kristin is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jeremiah Stone
Jeremiah Stone is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Antoaneta Dimova
Antoaneta Dimova marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Naida
Naida marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Liam Milne
Liam Milne marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rock Climbing Anchors: A Comprehensive Guide (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert Series) Knots for Climbers, 2nd How to Climb: How to Ice Climb! How to Climb: Knots for Climbers How To Rappel!