Start by marking “The Satanic Nurses: And Other Literary Parodies” as Want to Read:
The Satanic Nurses: And Other Literary Parodies

The Satanic Nurses: And Other Literary Parodies

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In J.B. Miller's alternative literary universe, Virginia Woolf has a crush on William Powell, Norman Mailer provides "The Rules" for dating, Bridget Jones writes "The Diary of Anais Nin," and J.D. Salinger sends letters to young starlets inviting them to audition for the movie of "Franny."

Dave Eggers gives us "A Backbreaking Work of Incredible Thinness," Philip Roth gets i...more
Published January 22nd 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Satanic Nurses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Satanic Nurses

Mitch
This book is loaded with creative, funny short pieces that are parodies of famous authors and their writings/styles. The author has a go at them from a wide variety of angles and of course, as with all collections of short pieces, some are better than others.

While I had only read 10 of the many authors parodied here, the other selections were still interesting even though I must have missed a lot of stabs due to my own literary ignorance. This was not much of an impediment to enjoying the book,...more
David
A mixed bag: some of these work better than others. Then, of course, some targets are easier than others. I confess to a certain wicked enjoyment at the skewering of:

Dave Eggers ('A Backbreaking work of incredible thinness')

E. Annie Proulx ('Vocabulary Crimes')

Cormac McCarthy ('All the pretty Sentences')

For whatever reason, Miller seems to do better at parodying more recent writers. His parodies of Hemingway, Kerouac, Tolkien and Beckett were among the least successful in the collection.

I wouldn...more
Marsha
This is such a hysterically funny book that I practically had tears in my eyes when I read it. Many authors are speared; none are spared. Chapters from famous books you might have read (and some you haven’t) litter these pages and the author brings his scathing wit to each and every one of them. A parody that ranks with “McSweeney’s Joke Book of Book Jokes”, this book is definitely a hoot.
Jun 07, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Good, but not great. I definitely LOLed the most at "Trainspitting".
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Michele Saylor
Michele Saylor marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Munchy Relue
Munchy Relue marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Karen Locklear
Karen Locklear marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Joseph
Joseph added it
Jun 04, 2010
Christopher Sutch
Christopher Sutch marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2009
Mabs
Mabs added it
Jun 05, 2008
Lula
Lula added it
May 16, 2008
No Time For Love Fae Dominance (A Dia Mclearey Novel Book 1.5) Dianthe's Awakening (A Dia Mclearey Novel Book 2) Dianthe's Awakening The Treasure of August: Revealed in the Diary of August Pilgrim