Start by marking “Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective, Vol 1 (w/ArtStudy CD-ROM 2.1)” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  434 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
As the market-leading text for the art history survey course, GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES has served as a comprehensive and thoughtfully crafted guide to the defining phases of the world's artistic tradition. The story of art unfolds in its full historical, social, religious, economic, and cultural context, deepening students' understanding of art, architecture, paintin ...more
Published March 7th 2005 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published May 22nd 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Gardner's Art through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardner's Art through the Ages

Foxtower
Dec 12, 2012 Foxtower rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
A later version of my Art History textbook. Thank goodness I don't have to read this one! (I refer to the pictures) While comprehensive in Gardners view of Art history there were no women... what?

Like any interpretation of ART, I think that only the photos tell a kind of truth.
Christin
Mar 31, 2011 Christin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-college, art
A textbook I actually read! And was actually readable. It helped that Kleiner was my professor and his humor was evident in the writing, even though he had to leave some of the naughtier bits out.

"Double-barreled super-stud of a centaur."
Mara
Dec 31, 2014 Mara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing introduction to Art History. It had the right amount of content, and the style of writing was very approachable and all-around interesting.
Foxtower
Dec 12, 2012 Foxtower rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This is an updated version of the college art history textbook I used back in the seventies... thank goodness I didn't have to read this one! While this and volume two provide ample photos of art work thoughout history, what lacking is that its a history that lacks women artists!
Allison Thaemlitz
This was one of the best textbooks I've used. It's easy to read and full of useful information. Perfect for an introduction to Art History.
Peggy
Oct 22, 2015 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good instruction book. Very good projects to enable you to draw.
Merry
Jul 22, 2016 Merry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-art-history
Excellent book for class with Dr. Diane Goode - great professor!
Allison
This is my textbook for Art History 101.
Jul 14, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only college textbook I've ever kept.
Ivana Baranasic
Ivana Baranasic marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Bambi
Bambi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Simegnew
Simegnew marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Arto
Arto added it
Jun 13, 2016
Mangesh Gawari
Mangesh Gawari marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 05, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Austin Johnson
Austin Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
David Glenn Dixon
David Glenn Dixon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Ahsan Siddique
Ahsan Siddique rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Jalalaljak
Jalalaljak marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
kassadi
kassadi rated it did not like it
May 26, 2016
Mr.John
Mr.John marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Spices: A Global History
  • The Alhambra
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, a Concise History: Volume I: To 1740
  • Show Me How
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Lost History: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists
  • Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity (Oxford Illustrated Histories)
  • World as Lover, World as Self