Start by marking “The Journey: A Spiritual Roadmap for Modern Pilgrims” as Want to Read:
The Journey: A Spiritual Roadmap for Modern Pilgrims

The Journey: A Spiritual Roadmap for Modern Pilgrims

Open this book and begin an epic human journey--the journey toward truth. Enjoy a delightful and imaginative allegory of timeless wisdom as you travel along the road of true knowledge. Socrates, the thoroughly reasonable and wise philosopher of Athens, will accompany you much of the way. With sharp questions and canny wit he will coach you past the winsome, the wily and th ...more
Published January 2nd 1997 by IVP Books (first published November 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey

Aug 20, 2014 booklady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
August 19, 2014: Reread The Journey again last night! I've lost track of how many times I've read this book. As written below, this is an all-time favorite, so I expect this won't be my last journey with this epic either. In this case, as in most of my other re-reads, it seemed a good time to fine-tune philosophical thinking ... and for that, I can hardly recommend anyone better than Peter Kreeft who outdoes himself here.

May 1, 2008: One of the best books I ever read by one of my favorite autho
Oct 26, 2008 Bear rated it it was amazing
I am an opinionated, hard-headed individual. I also am usually willing to hear out the "other side" before I voice an opinion. That is what I like about this book; it is a simple read, addressing my most hated but most engaged in activity; engaging in discourse and logical argument. I say "most hated" because the vast majority of people I encounter who would engage in a conversation with me become empassioned and quiet whenever we converse. And frequently, afterwards, some of those acquaintences ...more
Tommaso Maria
May 31, 2011 Tommaso Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un ottimo libro per chi non ha mai capito a cosa servisse la filosofia, o per chi è curioso e vorrebbe sapere cos'è e a cosa serve.

L'autore, attraverso le figure di Socrate e di C.S. Lewis mette in campo la filosofia pratica, che argomenta, confuta, mette in dubbio e chiarisce, mentre il lettore affronta le domande più importanti della vita di ogni donna e uomo: esiste la verità, se sì possiamo conoscerla, e dove ci può portare?

E' un libro avvincente, anche perché mette in gioco il lettore: come
Sep 19, 2015 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
Though I started out liking this book, I did not finish liking it. I do not like this book at all.

The author tries to blend both the ancient and the modern in this discussion of religion and philosophy, but instead of being smoothly integrated, it is just awkward and weird. This was something I noted at the very beginning.

And while, at the beginning, the author does a decent job of refuting several different worldviews and philosophies, as the book progresses, each "crossroads" becomes shallow
Jan 20, 2008 Brett rated it really liked it
Under the tutelage of Socrates, Kreeft begins a fictitious first person narrative through the annals of philosophy – both its ancient and modern reincarnations. Beginning in Plato’s cave, Kreeft meets philosophers (representing skepticism, cynicism, nihilism, materialism, relativism and more) along the various forks in the journey until experiencing the reality of Christ. Using fictitious dialogue, Kreeft demonstrates the reasonability of faith and the nature of philosophy, past and present. B+
Oct 08, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
I had to read this for a class and and found it to be difficult to read. The author know his subject matter but it is very deep . I honestly do not think I would have understood it if It had not been deconstructed for me. It helps to have an understanding of the teachings of Socrates to understand this book.
Jul 20, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Peter Kreeft is a professor of philosophy at Boston College (possibly retired). He is a practicing Catholic and has written books on philosophy, religion, and Christian Apologetics. In this book Kreeft employees a favorite technique to guide / direct the exploration - he brings to life Socrates. The pilgrim here is Kreeft, and his guide is the master questioner. Socrates leads Kreeft on a journey, meeting and questioning representative figures of all the leading philosophical fads - The Skeptic, ...more
Jan 11, 2015 Clint rated it it was amazing
Written along the lines of Pilgrim's Progress and Pilgrim's Regress, this book (which Kreeft wanted to name "Pilgrim's Egress" but was shut down, I am sure tactfully :), by the publisher) was a fun read, bringing different "philosophy of lifes" together to offer meaning, or lack their of, to the main character on a "journey". Great stuff.
Aug 17, 2015 Mary added it
Philosophy in a "modern" story-form- a pilgrim hearing from each of the philosophies, and then choosing one road. Well-written, but a chapter on stoics, neo-paganists would be interesting, as well as updating some of the references 19 years.
Aaron Stoltzfus
There is a similarity to a feeling of tiredness when finishing up this book. Incredible truths, especially for a questioning person, but they come through logic.
Sep 29, 2010 Melinda rated it it was ok
I expected a bit meatier book, and was disappointed. If you have never thought about what a worldview is, or explored the belief systems of various philosophies, then perhaps this would be a good place to start.

"The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog" by James Sire is a much better book. Better written and more engagingly presented. Somehow Kreeft's approach to me seemed rather flippant and juvenile.
Jun 29, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it
This is entertaining reading about making decisions and about the existence of God. Helps to have a good background in logical thinking..but enlightening even if you don't. Socrates takes the reader on a tour of great philosophers and points out the errors of their thinking on certain topics.
Nov 01, 2013 Darryl rated it did not like it
Sister Claire M Lessard
Sister Claire M Lessard marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Thomaskutty marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Justin Ogden
Justin Ogden rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Graeme marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Peter Freund
Peter Freund is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
Kateri B
Kateri B rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
David Gillespie
David Gillespie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Char rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Megan Blakely
Megan Blakely marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Rani H.
Rani H. rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Brian rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Catherine Cruz
Catherine Cruz marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Benjamin Fleming
Benjamin Fleming marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mary: The Church at the Source
  • The Fathers
  • Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • On Wealth and Poverty: St. John Chrysostom
  • Bells of Nagasaki (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • He Leadeth Me
  • The Reed of God
  • Angel Girl
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Mr. Blue
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, ...more
More about Peter Kreeft...