Start by marking “Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing” as Want to Read:
Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing

Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing

A major book on the subject of heaven, this expanded edition examines the hunger for heaven that is so strong in all of us. Fascinating and upbeat, Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing thoroughly explores the psychological and theological dimensions of this search for total joy and for the ultimate reality that grounds it.
Published April 1st 1989 by Ignatius Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven, the Heart's Deepest Longing

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul IIStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
374th out of 433 books — 135 voters
The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneThe Happiness Animal by Will JelbertA Hidden Wholeness by Parker J. PalmerI Asked For Wonder by Abraham Joshua HeschelJesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth E. Bailey
The Happy List
43rd out of 104 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Wanda
Oct 19, 2008 Wanda rated it it was amazing
I just started this book, and I think I'm really going to like it. I am very impressed with the author's intelligence and knowledge. He is definitely very well read!

In chapter one he discusses a thought experiment proposed by St. Augustine: "Imagine God appeared to you and said, 'I'll make a deal with you if you wish. I'll give you anything and everything you ask: pleasure, power, honor, wealth, freedom, even peace of mind and a good conscience. Nothing will be a sin; nothing will be forbidden;
Michael McCloskey
May 26, 2009 Michael McCloskey rated it it was amazing
Kreeft dares us to "ask our heart what it wants". This work on the longing of our hearts for our true home will deepen your faith and help you to understand why we are not yet happy. Highly recommended.
Trae Johnson
Jan 02, 2011 Trae Johnson rated it liked it
Kreeft makes good insights about the longing for heaven that is particular to all men. I found parts of the book really abstract and difficult to understand. He, at times, seemed to get lost in the grandeur of the reality of heaven. This came across in some of his explanations.
I particularly liked the introduction where Kreeft discusses the history of heaven's desire going back to ancient times to its current state of being altogether ignored. Kreeft is a tremendous thinker and author, and I hav
Tom
Jul 07, 2008 Tom rated it really liked it
Peter Kreeft. My teacher of philosophy at BC, he's a Calvinist turned Catholic who's an expert on CS Lewis and Tolkien and Socrates. I took every class he taught, for 6 years. So yeah, I know his arguments and his books. I haven't read his book about the philosophy of Tolkien, but I took his Lord of the Rings class. It was pretty cool.
Patrick
Dec 01, 2010 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This was the first Kreeft book I read, and it made me search out everything else of his that I could find. If, like me, your initial reaction is "How can anyone write about heaven without having been there?", read the book anyway. Kreeft is a trustworthy guide.
Gordon DeLand
Jun 20, 2015 Gordon DeLand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent. Kreeft asks some questions you never thought of asking because they are so ... basic. And his answers point to something far beyond human.
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2009
mary catherine
mary catherine rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2008
Kurtis Epp
Kurtis Epp rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Stephen Salomone
Stephen Salomone rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
David_notacynic Hoffer
David_notacynic Hoffer rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Bruce A.
Bruce A. rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2009
Thuy Ha
Thuy Ha rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Rose Sweet
Rose Sweet rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Cayla
Cayla rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2010
Dianne
Jul 30, 2015 Dianne rated it it was amazing
I love this book for it's view of heaven.
Darrel
Darrel rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Dave Schneider
Dave Schneider rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Leticia Velasquez
Leticia Velasquez rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Joy
Joy rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2011
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Ana Talajić
Ana Talajić rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Pamela Hodge
Pamela Hodge rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • The Presence of the Kingdom
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer
  • On Religion: Speeches to Its Cultured Despisers
  • Theology and Sanity
  • The End of Christendom
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool
  • On Loving God
  • Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • Opening to God: A Guide to Prayer
  • Introduction to Christianity
  • Life and Holiness
  • The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time
  • The Table Talk of Martin Luther
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, ...more
More about Peter Kreeft...