The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The book that catches the crest of Web 2.0 and shows how any business can harness its power by increasing whuffie, the store of social capital that is the currency of the digital world.

Everyone knows about blogs and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, and has heard about someone who has used them to grow a huge customer base. Everyone wants to be hands-on, grass...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Crown Business (first published November 11th 2008)

Claire-France Perez
Tara Hunt's book is not just about a clever way to make conversation on Twitter, but a human story of conversations and where they lead. Hunt is a Canadian who made a splash in San Francisco, but then she returns to Canada in style: in her "Whuffie Mobile."

Whuffie is the concept of Social Good Will, which is gained by creating value for other people before asking for value (like a sale or a like or whatever) as if it were a Feelings-Generated Bank Account: you make a deposit before making any wi...more
Jonny99
A goofy title hides a solid review of the web 2.0 landscape. Those, ahem, seasoned enough to remember the slow-motion tsunami that was the introduction of email and the internet are experiencing the same feelings in the face of Facebook and similar social networking tools in combination with pocket-sized PCs known as smart-phones. Despite the clichés the game of business is changing as a component of overall changes happening in human relationships. Early adopter Hunt is a prime position to guid...more
Ken
This was a great read, and I could feel Tara Hunt's passion in this subject coming off the pages. Relationships or Whuffie is important for curating returning customers and for them to spread the news of your business. This is even more so when we are at the stage of moving beyond social media and into social business. We need to engage more with our loyal customers and empower them to be our advocates.

Social media is one of those things that are hard to justify the ROI, similar to telephones an...more
Jw van Eck
Extremely easy-to-read how-to guide on what connectivity in the age of the Internet can do for you, or for your organisation. With a lot of anecdotes (with the obligatory mentioning of Zappos, Moleskine, TED) and a few useful lists on what you should think about if you if you want to take the community marketing approach.

With "Be human, Exceed expectations, Get into flow, Listen to your customers, Get your higher calling, etc" I do get the feeling I have read it all before, and could easily ref...more
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Very good. On par with Groundswell. I learned so much more about social networking! Plus, great info on how to use social networking to improve the effectiveness of marketing and PR in business and our personal careers! There were referrals to useful websites full of FREE content available to enhance your own pages, blogs, and sites. This book is all about building value and keeping your mindset where it needs to be in this 21st century: how to help your customer get what they want and need.
I lo...more
Diane
I love everything this book has to say about businesses making effective use of social media tools. The only thing that keeps this from being a 4 or 4-star review is the editing. I tend to think that Tara Hunt's editor did her a bit of a disservice here - the writing in places is distractingly ungrammatical, and the overall structure could be confusing for someone new to social media. (Why, for example, write a book about social media tools that doesn't explain these tools until somewhere around...more
Michael Dobbie
Mar 16, 2009 Michael Dobbie marked it as to-read
excerpt from a review...
"Money isn’t the capital of choice in online communities, it is Whuffie - social capital – and how to raise it is the heart of this book.” In the Web 2.0 world, market capital flows from having high social capital. Without Whuffie you lose your connections and any recommendation you make will be seen as spam, met with negative reactions and a loss of social capital...Tara Hunt has found, online success comes from building a community and being part of it – not by pushing...more
SerahRose
Very unimpressive. I was basically an extended biography about why we should think she's so cool because she's so good at social capitalism using online media. I think she needs more friends "IRL" to counteract the online ego.

There wasn't a lot of useful information for me. I'm certainly not a social media marketing guru so I thought there'd be a lot more for me but I pretty much knew it all. There were a few websites that looked interesting but those could have been compiled in a one-page list...more
Nic Brisbourne
Some really good stuff in this book. You have to pick out the good bits, but I think the general assertion that tomorrow's winners are going to be the companies that participate genuinely in social media and contribute to the community above and beyond selling their product/service. Beyond that this book is full of good practical tips on how to operate in this brave new world, both for traditional brands and entrepreneurs building community websites.
Michelle Jones
This is one of those books that was kind of wasted on me but I think it’s good and will definitely recommend it to people. Why was it wasted on me? Because I already kind of live “The Whuffie Factor.” Open, transparent, trying to do well by doing good, being a good community member, etc, etc. I live the social media lifestyle (for lack of a better term) so there wasn’t a lot of new information in this book for me.
Kelly
She's very much promoting herself. When a book about social media in late 2009 has to define what Twitter and Flickr are, I just question who the audience is if it's not a "how to." And then having to explain who Dave Weinberger is. Clearly not a book I am the audience for but I just found this wholly unimpressive. It's not where I'd send people looking for the reasons why. I'd go to, oh, Dave Weinberger.
Oleg Kagan
Tara Hunt provides examples from her own career and the work of others on how to gain "Whuffie" or social capital.

She explains the principles (this is not a how-to book) of using social media to create and/or participate in a community.

Though this book is primarily designed for business-people, it encouraged to me to engage in the Twitter poetry community.
Michael
This is a good book with numerous examples on harnessing Web 2.0 and social media technologies (Facebook, Twitter) to make a good business even better. I read only the first third, but I'd return to this one if I were running a business. Much of the material resonates with a book I read a few years ago by Jeff Jarvis called _What Would Google Do?_.
Belal Khan
When I first purchased this book, I'd give it 5-stars. However, concepts are dated today. Principles are still true about social media, but you don't need this book to explain why it's important and what the potential is today. Just understand the importance of PR in brand building and you'll understand the concepts in this book and more.
Michelle
A decent primer on social media best practices for businesspeople who need to get up to speed fast. Not a whole lot of new material for those who've been following the trends from early on, but it is refreshing to sit down and think about this stuff in more than 140 characters.
Don
Tara has lots of first hand experience of managing communities and fame on the Internet. The book does a good job of showing her approach to customer-centric social network interaction. I especially liked the real-world accounts of companies and people she has worked for.
Linda
Despite being a bit of a fluffy, flower-power guru book, I would heartily recommend this book for anyone with a business who are thinking of starting with social media. This book contains a lot of valuable lessons on do's and don'ts, backed up with a lot of anecdotes.
Tyler Franklin
Loved this book! Not a be all end all business book, but an excellent take on the new social plane of the digital landscape and it's importance for business. This book is more an attitude adjustment than a market strategy. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly recommend!
Marc Weidenbaum
Read this as part of a reading group discussion at artsjournal.com/gap. It's a good introduction to the values of social networks. My group read it in regard to how its lessons can be applied to the arts -- to individual musicians and to organizations.
Anne Adrian
Good read if you are looking at how to engage online. It should encourage people on the power of building relationships online.

I thought the writing could have used some better copy editing. I was distracted by switching of pronouns and verb tense.
Kathleen Rainwater
A step by step guide to building social capital or "whuffie" via Web 2.0 tools such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr and other social networking sites. Full of real life examples of how companies have used and abused social media for marketing purposes.
Fred Sampson
A book that could easily have been a chapter. Hunt chose to cover all of social media (as of 3 years ago) from the perspective of the value of reputation, which is not at all wrong, it's just one perspective. Don't take "Whuffie" as the final word.
Adam Walker Cleaveland
Tara gives a GREAT overview of how social media is changing the world today through businesses and imagines how else that might affect you and the way you run your own business or organization.

It's a really great read and I recommend it.
Daynah
An enjoyable read if you like social networking or thinking about advertising your business online. Lots of great examples of what having social capital (whuffie) can take you and your business/projects.
Hartono Rakiman
I just learned how to practice javanese saying "Sugih tanpa bandha" - rich without things. Since your best friend willing to provide anything you want, as fruit of you good deed in the past!
Susan
I learned so much; and need to get this in my library to re-listen/read it. Many jewels of information for someone who is not savey in the technology that is available to us today.....
Evan Cordes
Great overview of the social capital ideas that run through so much of the current web community.

Feels a bit laundry-list-ish at times, but they're all good stories.
Richard Sparks
This book has excellent social media marketing information and strategies. I liked it so much, I bought the audiobook so I can listen over and over!
Kevin Doohan
Very good. Love the concept of whuffie as described in Tara's book. Worthwhile for reading by digital marketing n00bs and veterans.
Tracey
Adult nonfiction. How to be a more effective social networker. Recommended reading for businesses, organizations, and bloggers.
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation Is Changing Your World
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Co-Opetition
The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business The Power of Social Networking: Using the Whuffie Factor to Build Your Business Tsuittānomikusu =Twitter Nomics The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business The Power of Social Networking: Using the Whuffie Factor to Build Your Business