Start by marking “The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The book that catches the crest of Web 2.0 and shows how any business can harness its power by increasing whuffie, the store of social capital that is the currency of the digital world.

Everyone knows about blogs and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, and has heard about someone who has used them to grow a huge customer base. Everyone wants to be hands-on, grass
Published April 21st 2009 by Crown Business (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Whuffie Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whuffie Factor

Claire-France Perez
Tara Hunt's book is not just about a clever way to make conversation on Twitter, but a human story of conversations and where they lead. Hunt is a Canadian who made a splash in San Francisco, but then she returns to Canada in style: in her "Whuffie Mobile."

Whuffie is the concept of Social Good Will, which is gained by creating value for other people before asking for value (like a sale or a like or whatever) as if it were a Feelings-Generated Bank Account: you make a deposit before making any wi
Shawn Williamson
Really good, fun read. I particularly liked Chapters 9 and 10 so book finished on high, positive note.

If you remember only 5 things Tara says

1. Turn the bullhorn around. Stop talking and start listening.
2. Become part of the community you serve and figure out who it is you are serving. It isn’t everyone. Then get out of your office and into the community.
3. Be notable and create amazing experiences for your customers. It isn’t enough to design something that works. You need to design remarkable
Jonny99
Jan 19, 2010 Jonny99 rated it liked it
A goofy title hides a solid review of the web 2.0 landscape. Those, ahem, seasoned enough to remember the slow-motion tsunami that was the introduction of email and the internet are experiencing the same feelings in the face of Facebook and similar social networking tools in combination with pocket-sized PCs known as smart-phones. Despite the clichés the game of business is changing as a component of overall changes happening in human relationships. Early adopter Hunt is a prime position to guid ...more
Ken
May 27, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
This was a great read, and I could feel Tara Hunt's passion in this subject coming off the pages. Relationships or Whuffie is important for curating returning customers and for them to spread the news of your business. This is even more so when we are at the stage of moving beyond social media and into social business. We need to engage more with our loyal customers and empower them to be our advocates.

Social media is one of those things that are hard to justify the ROI, similar to telephones an
Jw van Eck
Feb 03, 2013 Jw van Eck rated it it was ok
Extremely easy-to-read how-to guide on what connectivity in the age of the Internet can do for you, or for your organisation. With a lot of anecdotes (with the obligatory mentioning of Zappos, Moleskine, TED) and a few useful lists on what you should think about if you if you want to take the community marketing approach.

With "Be human, Exceed expectations, Get into flow, Listen to your customers, Get your higher calling, etc" I do get the feeling I have read it all before, and could easily ref
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Very good. On par with Groundswell. I learned so much more about social networking! Plus, great info on how to use social networking to improve the effectiveness of marketing and PR in business and our personal careers! There were referrals to useful websites full of FREE content available to enhance your own pages, blogs, and sites. This book is all about building value and keeping your mindset where it needs to be in this 21st century: how to help your customer get what they want and need.
I lo
Diane
Jun 29, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
I love everything this book has to say about businesses making effective use of social media tools. The only thing that keeps this from being a 4 or 4-star review is the editing. I tend to think that Tara Hunt's editor did her a bit of a disservice here - the writing in places is distractingly ungrammatical, and the overall structure could be confusing for someone new to social media. (Why, for example, write a book about social media tools that doesn't explain these tools until somewhere around ...more
Michael Dobbie
Mar 16, 2009 Michael Dobbie marked it as to-read
excerpt from a review...
"Money isn’t the capital of choice in online communities, it is Whuffie - social capital – and how to raise it is the heart of this book.” In the Web 2.0 world, market capital flows from having high social capital. Without Whuffie you lose your connections and any recommendation you make will be seen as spam, met with negative reactions and a loss of social capital...Tara Hunt has found, online success comes from building a community and being part of it – not by pushing
SerahRose
Oct 20, 2009 SerahRose rated it did not like it
Very unimpressive. I was basically an extended biography about why we should think she's so cool because she's so good at social capitalism using online media. I think she needs more friends "IRL" to counteract the online ego.

There wasn't a lot of useful information for me. I'm certainly not a social media marketing guru so I thought there'd be a lot more for me but I pretty much knew it all. There were a few websites that looked interesting but those could have been compiled in a one-page list
Martine
Oct 26, 2014 Martine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-book
Goed boek over het professioneel inzetten van social media. Het is inmiddels al een paar jaar oud, maar omdat het gaat om een manier van benaderen en niet de specifieke tools die je hierbij moet gebruiken veroudert het niet zo snel als de meeste boeken over online marketing. Ik vond het zelf toegankelijk, logisch en interessant en het zette me aan het denken over hoe ik haar advies in de praktijk zou kunnen toepassen. Vol met voorbeelden, van iemand die duidelijk al veel ervaring heeft in de sec ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is a seminal book of social media wisdom, made even better because it riffs off Cory Doctorow's vision of a science fiction future that is making inroads today. Tara Hunt went on to start her own company and do marketing for other folks, but the merits of authenticity and social capital continue as relevant concepts in the business arena.

Approachable, well written. You may read other books that are more recent, capturing technological changes, but the core principles remain germane.
Jan 29, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
socialmedia
Nic Brisbourne
Jul 23, 2011 Nic Brisbourne rated it really liked it
Some really good stuff in this book. You have to pick out the good bits, but I think the general assertion that tomorrow's winners are going to be the companies that participate genuinely in social media and contribute to the community above and beyond selling their product/service. Beyond that this book is full of good practical tips on how to operate in this brave new world, both for traditional brands and entrepreneurs building community websites.
Michelle Jones
Jul 30, 2010 Michelle Jones rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that was kind of wasted on me but I think it’s good and will definitely recommend it to people. Why was it wasted on me? Because I already kind of live “The Whuffie Factor.” Open, transparent, trying to do well by doing good, being a good community member, etc, etc. I live the social media lifestyle (for lack of a better term) so there wasn’t a lot of new information in this book for me.
Kelly
Dec 05, 2009 Kelly rated it did not like it
She's very much promoting herself. When a book about social media in late 2009 has to define what Twitter and Flickr are, I just question who the audience is if it's not a "how to." And then having to explain who Dave Weinberger is. Clearly not a book I am the audience for but I just found this wholly unimpressive. It's not where I'd send people looking for the reasons why. I'd go to, oh, Dave Weinberger.
Oleg Kagan
Aug 13, 2009 Oleg Kagan rated it really liked it
Shelves: idea-books
Tara Hunt provides examples from her own career and the work of others on how to gain "Whuffie" or social capital.

She explains the principles (this is not a how-to book) of using social media to create and/or participate in a community.

Though this book is primarily designed for business-people, it encouraged to me to engage in the Twitter poetry community.
Michael
Nov 28, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
This is a good book with numerous examples on harnessing Web 2.0 and social media technologies (Facebook, Twitter) to make a good business even better. I read only the first third, but I'd return to this one if I were running a business. Much of the material resonates with a book I read a few years ago by Jeff Jarvis called _What Would Google Do?_.
Belal Khan
May 07, 2013 Belal Khan rated it it was ok
When I first purchased this book, I'd give it 5-stars. However, concepts are dated today. Principles are still true about social media, but you don't need this book to explain why it's important and what the potential is today. Just understand the importance of PR in brand building and you'll understand the concepts in this book and more.
Bob
Sep 28, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
Published in 2009 but still perfect for evaluating your communication plans. A real keeper.
Derek Neighbors
Sep 22, 2014 Derek Neighbors rated it really liked it
Great content, with good examples. Was difficult to read because we live this everyday at Gangplank. It was nice to see some of our everyday articulated into the written word. If you own a company you should probably read this book to gain some insight into the future workplace and how the world of work is evolving.
Derek Neighbors
May 21, 2011 Derek Neighbors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Sep 26, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
A decent primer on social media best practices for businesspeople who need to get up to speed fast. Not a whole lot of new material for those who've been following the trends from early on, but it is refreshing to sit down and think about this stuff in more than 140 characters.
Don
Nov 11, 2009 Don rated it really liked it
Tara has lots of first hand experience of managing communities and fame on the Internet. The book does a good job of showing her approach to customer-centric social network interaction. I especially liked the real-world accounts of companies and people she has worked for.
Linda
Apr 19, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Despite being a bit of a fluffy, flower-power guru book, I would heartily recommend this book for anyone with a business who are thinking of starting with social media. This book contains a lot of valuable lessons on do's and don'ts, backed up with a lot of anecdotes.
Tyler Franklin
May 25, 2012 Tyler Franklin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Loved this book! Not a be all end all business book, but an excellent take on the new social plane of the digital landscape and it's importance for business. This book is more an attitude adjustment than a market strategy. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly recommend!
Marc Weidenbaum
Read this as part of a reading group discussion at artsjournal.com/gap. It's a good introduction to the values of social networks. My group read it in regard to how its lessons can be applied to the arts -- to individual musicians and to organizations.
Anne Adrian
Feb 26, 2012 Anne Adrian rated it really liked it
Good read if you are looking at how to engage online. It should encourage people on the power of building relationships online.

I thought the writing could have used some better copy editing. I was distracted by switching of pronouns and verb tense.
Kathleen Rainwater
Sep 23, 2012 Kathleen Rainwater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A step by step guide to building social capital or "whuffie" via Web 2.0 tools such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr and other social networking sites. Full of real life examples of how companies have used and abused social media for marketing purposes.
Fred Sampson
Dec 26, 2011 Fred Sampson rated it liked it
A book that could easily have been a chapter. Hunt chose to cover all of social media (as of 3 years ago) from the perspective of the value of reputation, which is not at all wrong, it's just one perspective. Don't take "Whuffie" as the final word.
Adam Walker Cleaveland
May 19, 2010 Adam Walker Cleaveland rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Tara gives a GREAT overview of how social media is changing the world today through businesses and imagines how else that might affect you and the way you run your own business or organization.

It's a really great read and I recommend it.
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Twitterville: How Businesses Can Thrive in the New Global Neighborhoods
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • The New How: Creating Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation Is Changing Your World
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers

“What both Dell and Gary figured out before opening themselves up is that conventional business wisdom that companies need to be secretive in order to be successful is wrong.” 1 likes
“Openness and transparency is a great first step, but it is equally as important to take the results of that openness--the feedback and market research--and integrate it into the product itself.” 1 likes