Start by marking “Letters from the Dhamma Brothers: Meditation Behind Bars” as Want to Read:
Letters from the Dhamma Brothers: Meditation Behind Bars

Letters from the Dhamma Brothers: Meditation Behind Bars

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Through intimate letters, interviews, and stories, this narrative reveals the impact that a life-changing retreat had on a group of inmates at the highest level maximum-security state prison in Alabama. The 38 participants in the first-ever intensive, silent 10-day program inside the walls of a corrections facility—many serving life sentences without parole—detail the rang ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Pariyatti Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Letters from the Dhamma Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from the Dhamma Brothers

Jenny Phillips
Jun 12, 2012 Jenny Phillips rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Instead of leaving a review of my own book, I would like to invite anyone that has read it to connect with me on Goodreads. Tell me what you thought! Send me book recommendations! Check out the film that accompanies it and tell me what you think! I look forward to chatting with you. - Jenny
Jung
Feb 21, 2009 Jung added it
Recommends it for: prison reformists, Buddhists, meditators, policy makers
I saw the documentary for this book but the book is much more powerful. I was able to read the letters of the prisoners who had taken a Vipassana course and learn about their personal journeys to find peace and liberation within a system and environment that challenges their spiritual well-being in almost every other way on a daily basis. It was inspiring to me as a Vipassana meditator too. My struggle to meditate everday pales in comparison to the obstacles they face; their determination and de ...more
Nancy
Nov 27, 2011 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: faves
I have read this book multiple times. Reading this book lead me into the Vipassana practice myself. If these men in this end-of-the-line prison could practice silence and Vipassana for 10 days within a prison, certainly I with all my freedom could do the same.

The stories of the men inspire me, while I am on retreat and daily as well.

An incredible read if you really want to get grounded.

Standard on my bookshelf.
Joelle
I really loved this book! We can all learn from each other without a doubt. Truly inspiring to read about the healing power of Vipassana that can replace the negative cycle of punishment and neglect that prisoners experience. It seems this book will make many hopeful that previously doubted transformations can take place.
Jodi
It's a shame this book isn't more captivating. The companion documentary is fabulous, and the beginning and end of this book supplement the documentary, but the central part of the book is too vague and repetitive to hold much interest. A few of the letters give concrete examples of the challenges faced by the prisoners who underwent the Vipassana training, but most of them simply say things like "it's hard."

It's unfortunate because the substance of what the book is trying to portray, the trans
Sam Woodward
"One of the most sensitive expressions of hope, capacity for change and potential vehicles for institutional health that I have read in my career in criminal justice." - Scott Harshbarger, fomer Attorney General, Massachussetts.

This fascinating book centres around a 10-day Vipassana meditation retreat, held in a maximum security prison in Alabama. Author Jenny Phillips provides us with some background about Vipassana meditation as taught by S.N. Goenka, as well as details of how the course was o
Julie Webb
Mar 12, 2009 Julie Webb is currently reading it
This documentary has inspired me and showed me that healing can be brought about even in the worst of circumstances. The courage, and bravery these inmates showed by seeking their authentic selves while attending a two-week silent Vipassana meditation course offered in the prison's gym. The documentary highlights the individual prisoners, the meditation facilitator's, and the amazing results this program brought to all involved.
Jeffrey Reidhead
The letters from these men were fascinating. I remembered the Vipassana course that I took a couple of years ago. Seeing how this mediation form was able to be used successfully in prisons is really great to see. Rehabilitation is essential to prevent individuals from coming in and out of prison repeatedly. The fact that this was done in Alabama is all the more impressive to me.
Pake Hall
This book is a very welcome and warm effort to show how the practice continues to deepen inside prison when the retreat is over. The correspondence is touching and moves my heart deeply. It inspires me even more to continue the work with meditation in prisons we do in Sweden. Deep bows
Xiaomin Zu
This is a wonderful book. The inmates in Donalson prison provide so much inspirations for me to keep practicing vipassana daily! They are truly my Dhamma Brothers!

Dhamma only works when you practice it, otherwise it is just a wonderful dream.
Amy
Hardened criminals make a dramatic u-turn. Truly remarkable account of the effects of Vipassana meditation in a max security prison setting. Very touching,compelling,and hopeful. Truly remarkable to see what compassion and trust can do to promote healing...
Dan
Very inspirational. No one is beyond hope & beauty can emerge even in the most difficult places. I learned many lessons from these prisoners... and they showed the power of living in the "Now" and accepting the situations of their lives.
David
Jan 09, 2009 David added it
I read this book as a follow-up to seeing the documentary, "The Dhamma Brothers" (2007 film). Both were profound works. Check out "www.dhammabrothers.com" for further information. A must for anyone with a meditation practice. I am humbled.
Anuj Sainjoo
The knowledge is deep. Its such a compassionate thing to look at the people suffering in the one hand, and its such a great joy to understand that those sufferings endure no mere long in their life in the other hand.
Inspired
Debbydecarlo
Wonderful book describing, in the meditators' own words, the obstacles faced and the freedom that comes from meditation, even within the walls of a maximum security prison. Freedom and happiness ARE an inside job.
Maureen
Incredibly moving letters among/between prisoners in an Alabama prison and their meditation teachers, after taking a 10-day Vipassana meditation course in prison. Wonderful movie, too.
Christian
Powerful story. Too bad that the corrections officers ended up doubting them in the end. "Fake it till you make it" thing... It's real. It works.
Mckinley
This follows up on the thoughts and events of the documentary. Very interesting and sad and real.
A U-K suggested film.
Kelly
Very thought-provoking. A book about high-level security convicts undertaking a 10-day silent vipassana (meditation). Moving.
Christie Manning
Really enjoyed reading this book. Great companion to the film which is a MUST WATCH: https://www.facebook.com/dhammabrothers
Amrit Chima
Amrit Chima marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jenny Phillips is a cultural anthropologist, writer, and psychiatric nurse. For over fifteen years, Phillips has provided services in the mental health department of a large medical center in Concord, MA. Her specialties include crisis intervention, family therapy, behavioral medicine, and hypnotherapy.

Over the past ten years, she has worked with men in both state and county prisons, teaching cour
More about Jenny Phillips...
The Parable of the Princesses Symbol, Myth, And Rhetoric: The Politics Of Culture In An Armenian American Population