Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)

Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  10,617 ratings  ·  402 reviews
When Lily stumbles upon the well-built corpse of a local body builder-his neck broken by a barbell-the town's underlying racial tension begins to boil over. The white victim was somehow connected to two unsolved murders of black residents of Shakespeare-and a dogged policeman is determined to stop the killing. But it is Lily herself who may have to decide whether to stay a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 214 pages
Published December 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Champion

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
121st out of 927 books — 1,022 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
2013: What the Over 35s Have Read So Far
359th out of 2,731 books — 314 voters

More lists with this book...

Hallie
[Editing because I slipped into the descriptors of race used in the book, which I shouldn't have done. Not good.]

As I said in my brief write-up of the first Lily Bard book, I had to try not to be too critical just because I was comparing this series to Julia Spencer-Fleming's series. The second book was less slight as a mystery, but it had more of the problems that had bothered me in the first, as well as a whole new set.

Firstly, there was the slut-shaming, with Deanna, as before, the chief sham...more
Emily
I'm glad Charlaine Harris and I are pals again. I was hoping that would happen if I picked up some of her older stuff. Lily Bard is a great character: taciturn, blunt, brave and tough. In the first two books, I've enjoyed seeing her come out of her shell, befriending (or more accurately, allowing herself to be befriended by)both men and women after keeping to herself for so long. And it's all because of murder. Thank you, murder!

This time around, I didn't figure out anything before it was reveal...more
Birgit
Digging into my mystery book stacks, basically choosing the books by blindly picking a random one I came across this second part of a series by Charlaine Harris.
I must confess that the first couple of pages were everything but promising. Dead body in the local gym and the heroine Lily Bard is heavily into workout herself. Not exactly the kind of starting point I warm up to easily. But then, after more pages I simply couldn't put the book down. While Lily is far from being a likable person, she...more
Meigan
Another adventure in the world of Shakespeare, Arkansas. Lily stumbles upon a fellow resident, Del Packard, dead inside Body Time. It appears that his death may have been accidental, as he is found on a weight bench with the bar fallen on his neck. She is automatically pulled into the mystery because a) she was the one who found him, and b) she can't leave well enough alone.

There is also trouble brewing in Shakespeare. A young black man by the name of Darnell Glass was murdered (his murder didn...more
Jet
(view spoiler)...more
Jim
Another fun, quick mystery from Harris. I'm liking Lily better all the time. She's a little weird, but she beats the rest of Harris' heroines hands down, including Sookie.
Yolanda Sfetsos
This is the second book in The Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus, and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. It starts off with a pretty macabre murder, and things only get more dire from that point.

Lily Bard is a maid. She cleans the houses of a lot of the families around the small town of Shakespeare. She's content with her job, enjoys keeping other people's homes tidy and making money for herself. But more importantly, it's a job she can do on her own, without having to work with or for anyone. Her...more
Tatiana
A man is found dead in the gym where Lily regularly works out. At first it's written off as an accident (the body found suffocated under the weight of a barbell), but later it appears to be a part of a larger series of racially motivated crimes.

This is by far the worst of Charlaine Harris's books I've read. The beginning of the book feels true to the first book in Lily Bard series, but gradually the story just gets simply out of control. Church bombing, torture, hate crimes, way too much crime t...more
Angela
I just can't get behind this series. For someone who's gone through hell like she has, and avoids people at all costs, she sure jumps into bed with people at the first opportunity.

Admittedly, I've never been in that situation, and hopefully never will, so I don't know how a victim would react. But it just strikes me as unbelievable that somebody who has no close friends, barely any acquaintances, and can't really hold conversations would immediately jump into bed with people they know, let alone...more
Shannon C.
This was an entertaining little (and I mean little at only 214 pages) mystery, however I didn't like it as well as Harris' Sookie Sackhouse books or even her Harper Connelly books. The tone of the book felt more depressing. It wasn't as well balanced as her other series--she usually does a great job of mixing humor and lightness with angst and trauma.

The main character Lily Bard went through a torture and rape years ago, and moved to a small town Shakespeare in the aftermath. She left her old l...more
크리스티
I know I can't blame the book it was me I think - but I just did not have any interest in the book. It was like a chore for me to read it through. I had to keep telling myself it was going to end soon just finish it. I do have to say I was horribly confused with the "incident" and then taking forever to finally revel what happened. I thought I was missing a book. I can't even count how many times I checked to make sure this was the second book. I think the book might have caught my interest more...more
Regina
2.5 stars. This book is just not good very dissapointing. I would have quit the book if I hadn't bought it. At least I did not know who the murderer was until the end, and I do enjoy how Harris writes Lily's daily task and duties. Harris has a knack for writing about daily chores -- like cleaning, cooking and exercising and making them not only interesting to read about but inspiring as well. After reading a Lily Bard mystery I always feel like cleaning, exercising and cooking! However, everythi...more
Rachel Groves
Well I do love Charlaine Harris books it's official! I've already read the Harper Connolly series and am half way through Sookie Stackhouse (trying to pace myself through that series) and now I'm loving Lily Bard too.

Lily makes me want to get super fit so I can fight and makes me want to clean everything in my house. Another enjoyable story with Lily at the centre despite her not wanting to be and some changes in her love life too (not going to spoil that!).

It's not high brow literature but it's...more
Elisa
I officially love this series.
Lily Bard is for sure the most badass woman in the world, the only flaw she has is that she seems to be a magnet for dead bodies... and hospitals. I was incredibly happy to see a softer side to Lily and I am very pleased with the way her personal life was developed in this book.
This book also introduces a new character, a detective - Jack Leeds - that, as it seems, it's going to stay around for a while. He's also as damaged and Lily herself.
This book is packed with...more
Andrea
In the fist Lily Bard book, the small, sleepy, secretive town of Shakespeare gets thrown into an uproar when someone is murdered. Since then, racial problems have exploded after the brutal beating and later murder of an African American teenager and subsequent retaliation. Lily Bard becomes involved when she finds one of the people murdered dead in the gym. It ends in an all out free for all when a white supremacists group tries to protect their secret of hate and murder by killing more and more...more
Ami
While the murder mystery involves white supremacist group, a bomb, and torture is actually more serious then the first book, I actually find myself "lost". I mean, I cannot connect with the writing style (it feels like jumping around from one important scene to another -- I cannot keep up with characters' names), and I don't feel any empathy for those characters. Maybe I lost focus or maybe the book is just not for me. I will not continue this series because I feel like it will be wasting my tim...more
Victoria Martin
I checked this out from the library at the same time as Shakespeare's Landlord because I really enjoyed the early Southern Vampire Mysteries. I wasn't a huge fan of Shakespeare's Landlord, but I'm not going back to the library until Wednesday, so I thought I'd start this one anyway. Until I got to page 42.

“There’s people in this town that take a situation like yours [a white woman having sex with a black man] so seriously, you wouldn’t believe it.”
He was threatening her.
Contrarily enough, I was
Cherie
This is the second book in the Lily Bard Mystery series. I'm really beginning to like Lily cuz she kicks ass! :P Granted, I may not always agree with her "need to be alone" attitude but I can understand where it comes from. Like the other reviewers, I liked this one a bit more than the first one as there was definitely more action here, and more setup there.
I was surprised when I realized the main topic of this would be racial ignorance, but I loved how it was handled. There were some great surprises and some really powerful visuals given. And I love the new character introduced, Jack. Seems like I love everyone who has that name.
Kristine
The Lily Bard books are "nothing spectacular" but are merely easy reads. If I have enough time they are easily finished in a day. But I'm not knocking them by any means. Need easy reads once in awhile. They aren't poorly written, but the descriptions of the karate and workout sessions get a bit tiresome, though, these are integral scenes to the main character.
Joanna
Clearly I will be flying through this series. Really strong second offering from the Lily Bard saga.... Wow, that woman is something! Impressive character, decent storyline, reasonable clues and surprises, and great secondary characters. All that and some steamy scenes too!
Eloise
There is something about this book that I didn't like as much as the first. I kept wondering if I missed a book. Thing were explained later but it was disconcerting. Now I will know what to expect from the next book.
Sharon Malcolm
I really disliked the whole tone of this book, and am sadly disliking Lily as well. I'm seeing a pattern here which I'm assuming continues in the series - Lily cleans the house of or sleeps with someone who is involved in something big, she gets drawn into it and gets quite badly injured. Lots of people die in this small town and there are few answers. When they do come they are unsatisfactory. The racism theme of this book also made me feel quite uncomfortable and I'm sure there are better ways...more
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

Just as I thought Shakespeare's Champion was much better than the first Lily Bard Mystery. Even though we did meet some new characters in this book there was not a ton of back story for all of them (unless they were main characters and I expect we will see more of them in the next books. In that case it was nice to get their story and it actually fit in with this story).

Lily once again is dragged into a murder investigation and trying to figure out who the killer o...more
Brenda Christiansen
There were lots of glaring holes in the narrative for this book. It felt like the editor forgot to read through this one before publishing.
Kayeb
Now I know how she meets Jack! Once more the heroine gets beat up a whole bunch more than I could tolerate. I know stories can be written without so much damage to humans... and are quite good. Or, at least the damage is less frequent, damaging etc. Wonder what goes on in the mind of someone who uses so much violence? Somehow, Harris does not look to be a major fighter....

Lily Bard was running from shattering memories when she moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas. Now cleaning houses pays her bills. W...more
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 5/25/11: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2011/...

Going back to spend more time with Lily Bard and the other residents of Shakespeare was more enjoyable for me than the first time I met them. This book is much darker and tackles some pretty serious issues such as race and gender issues in the deep south. I personally preferred this over the run of the mill murder mystery from the first book. However, this one is certainly not for the faint of heart. There are many di...more
nurmawati
  • A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Homicide in Hardcover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #1)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Sand Sharks (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #15)
  • A Harvest of Bones (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #4)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr...more
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)