A History of the Ancient World

A History of the Ancient World

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Reflecting five decades of teaching and research, and drawing on the most recent scholarship, the fourth edition of this widely-read history provides the same broad coverage, chronological framework, and absorbing literary style that distinguished previous editions. For the new edition, the chapters on early humankind, the section on the revolt of Bar Kochba, and the chapt...more
Published March 14th 1991 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about A History of the Ancient World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of the Ancient World

Angela Fader
While this book is full of information, some paragraphs are too dense making it difficult to read in sections. Overall, a great read and one of my (few) favorite non-fiction books.
Nathan
This is a good overview of the ancient world focusing on the Mediterranean with less information on ancient Persia and China. It's hard to condense a couple thousand years into a few hundred pages and the book does its best to not be too superficial in its treatment. I honestly don't know how it could be better.

It reflects an older trend of more objective history, one that doesn't try to attribute motivations to peoples that don't necessarily share the same values as the rest of us today do.

It's...more
Alex
I wanted an expansive survey and that is what I got. It dwells a lot on minutiae of governance and things like that, but to get the basics of a huge topic, it does a great job. Can be dry reading.
Robert Palmer
I love history from any era. In college I took a few history classes, but none that covered the ancient world. So, I bought this book, which is a college textbook. It was a delightful read.
Sean Chick
So if your not called Greece or Rome he barely covers your history. Persia gets the short end of the historical stick. Yet this is a mighty achievement in historical synthesis.
Mike Anderson
Jan 02, 2011 Mike Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Greek and Roman Scholars
Shelves: history-greece
Takes you from the origin of Civilization to 670 A.D. Gives the big picture of the ancient western world.
Lettie Laferriere
Read this for a class at WSU.
Paul Guillet
Paul Guillet marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Megan Edmunds
Megan Edmunds marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tori Rigby
Tori Rigby marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Andrew Finley
Andrew Finley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Munira
Munira marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Desmond Rivet
Desmond Rivet marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
The Ancient Romans The Ancient Greeks The Roman Empire, 27 BC-AD 476: A Study in Survival The Influence of Sea Power on Ancient History The Origins of Greek Civilization 1100-650 BC